Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: X flow timing
Matysiak

posted on 2/1/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
X flow timing

I can't seem to get my timing right. The engine is a 1660 running electronic ignition. I install the distributor while number 1 is at TDC - both the crank timing mark and both valves closed, make sure that the rotor arm still lines up after inserting with the number 1 etc...

However, using my strobe light, the engine only runs, and runs well when the timing is set +- 20 after TDC.

What am i doing wrong?

rusty nuts

posted on 2/1/09 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
20 degrees after TDC? suspect your timing marks may not be accurate . If it is 20 degees before TDC check the distributor auto/vacuum advance is working . Vacuum advance may not be relevant if you are using Webers or bike carbs
Matysiak

posted on 2/1/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, according to the marks +- 20 after.

My mark at TDC has both valves closed and rockers rocking, but i will check with the spark plug removed.

I am running weber side draughts.

Bigheppy

posted on 2/1/09 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem when I bought my magenta, it would not rev over 4000 and had no power. After messing for a couple of weeks I fitted an electronic distributor , thinking the old one was worn out, and was dissapointed when there was no improvement, The vac advance on the new distributor was touching the block and would not adjust any further. I then reread my haynes manual and followed the distributor installation instructions using the timing marks on the front pulley, with the mark lined up with the pointer insert the dizzy with the rotor arm pointing at no2 inlet then as it pushes in allow it to turn. When I did this the dizzy ended up in a different position to what it had been. I then discovered that the ignition leads were in the wrong position. Once they were repositioned the engine started and ran very well reving freely to over 6500rpm. In conclusion the dizzy had been fitted 90 deg out and the leads rearranged to suit, the position of the vac advance had prevented any further adjustment. I could not believe that the engine ran at all. My advise is to recheck the timing and reinstall the dizzy you never know it might just fix your problem.
stevebubs

posted on 2/1/09 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
where are you? There may be a local xflow guru able to help out.
MikeRJ

posted on 2/1/09 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matysiak
Yes, according to the marks +- 20 after.

Plus or minus 20 degrees?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.