Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 6 cyl inline engine layout? (again)
e020518

posted on 29/1/04 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
6 cyl inline engine layout? (again)

I asked this question in the engine section and maybe it was not the best place since it relates to the frame layout. Here it is again, maybe more eyes will find it.

I was just wondering if anyone has a layout of a 6-cyl inline engine (cad is nice). I don't have a special engine in mind, just thinking about how much more space it requires. I searched through this forum and did not find what I'm looking for.

Much obliged / Jon

ned

posted on 29/1/04 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
jon,

hipyy is planning on using a bmw straight six lump. i gather he's using a modifed versin of one of jim mcsorley's chassis designs. look up mcsorley on the user list and see his website.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GO

posted on 29/1/04 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Also look out for MustangSix, I think he's got to a driveable stage with his build, he's defintely got the frame built with engine installed and exhaust headers on. I've no idea about any details of his build though, other than I think he may be a friend of Jim McSorley and they've adpated one of his plans slightly as well.
MustangSix

posted on 29/1/04 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
If you use a smallish six, just a simple stretch of 4" to 6 " forward of the firewall should be enough to accomodate most engines.

A short stretch like that can be done without any major changes to the structure or design to compensate for the length.

The bimmer is larger than my oddball Ford, but a Vitesse, TR6, Volvo 164, or the like would be an interesting candidate, as would a 240Z or Supra engine.

Hugh Paterson

posted on 30/1/04 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Straight Six

Hippy myself and one other swapping notes as we speak on chassis mods for the Beamer lump, one or two issues to resolve, looking at engine management amongst other things before commiting to the Bmw, but Hippys got his and is building it come "hell or high water". Swapping initial drawings soon join the "loop" if your interested.
Shug.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.