Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Some local help (essex)
dean100yz

posted on 8/1/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Some local help (essex)

Not sure if anyone can put me to the right person or can help.

I cant for sh*t find someone who can help me with my 9R. One garage is trying to pull my pants down will welding costs etc

I need a few things done:

1. Weld a new plate for the front 'guard stay
2. Remove the digidash (electrics arnt my thing!)
3. Fit my new Q/R Boss & Steering wheel. I've been told this again is an easy enough job if you can weld yet im finding my local garage is going on about tig welding it and reducing size of the steering column etc etc

Im in Essex. I would prefer to get the work done while im there rather than leave it. Its not alot of work I just dont have the tools

Any help guys would be much appreciated

Dean

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/1/09 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
personally I'd recommend the TIG welding too for the column. If you are not happy with the quotes why not try some fabrication shops. They tend to be much better at welding than garages and will be cheaper too. Sounds like you need some spanner time tbh and learn about the car.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dean100yz

posted on 8/1/09 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Just been to garage. Your right after lookin at both ways of fixing tig welding would be best. Think i was just panicking. Since buying it all i've done is repair, replace and fix things. I have quite a comprehensive toolkit from my bike racin. I'm kinda havin to learn it all whether i want to or not! I'm sure i'll get the hang of it.
russbost

posted on 8/1/09 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Dean, wherebouts in Essex are you?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
dean100yz

posted on 8/1/09 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'm from Rayleigh. Although benfleet is 2 mins up the road. My g.friend lives there!
Steve P

posted on 8/1/09 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Seems a few of us around here. another benfleet here. Once the noble is sold/ the new garage built i can then order something to build.
dean100yz

posted on 9/1/09 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Small world! I'd love to have the space to start my own project. I just dont have the garage size. It'd certainly help me understand the mac better!
dean100yz

posted on 20/1/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
OK I got the spanners out and decided to give it a go.

Please bear in mind I have never built anything like this before so it was quite an adventure.

The digidash dials were damaged so I took the whole front & rear panel and removed the DD1 which funny enough are made just around the corner to me for repair.

The speedo and ODO were also not working so for the sake of £30 replaced the speed sensor magnets and cable - that was a pain in the arse to get to!

I took the steering column out had it tig welded with the new Q/R Boss. Fitted it all back once the DD1 was repaired and it all worked!

I have a wiring fault which is stopping the main beam working on the passenger side. Changed the bulb just to double check. Im setting dash up tonight, getting wheels laser aligned tomorrow and just need to fit new stay to mudguard when it arrives.

Its a good feeling when you get it right

dean100yz

posted on 20/1/09 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Damn it...took it up the road and thought the gear shift felt stiff. It didnt seem to want to return

5 miles later...

Easy repair just a sod getting it into a gear with my hand and then drive back home!

Steve P

posted on 21/1/09 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Not surprised with the tiny welds on it. Need any help rewelding it let me know, can bring to work and clean/weld it back together.
dean100yz

posted on 22/1/09 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Steve. I ended up getting Russ to fabricate a new piece for the mudguard and weld it + re-weld the gear linkage

Russ cant wait to see your finished project!

Thanks again

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.