Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cast welding
phil clegg

posted on 11/1/09 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
cast welding

can anyone tell me where i can have a cast manifold repaired?lancashire or west yorkshire thanks phil.
wrigglypig

posted on 11/1/09 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
If its cast iron you can buy the cast iron welding rods and use them in an arc welder. You will need to have the manifold off and over something like a portable gas ring or two to get it upto around 300 degrees before you weld it. But its not too difficult , its just bloody hot! I have welded a few bits of cast and they have been fine. I have welded 2 cracks in a renauly scenis manifold and also a vintage railway sign that was broken in half.

Kev

trikerneil

posted on 12/1/09 at 06:10 AM Reply With Quote
I have used oxy-acetylene and brazed cast iron.

LINKY

Might be easier to get done.

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 12/1/09 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
p and a In Bradford re-welded my rover V8 outlet Cast ally to get it pointing in another direction.

Here the are

P & A Engineering Ltd
Crown Works
Parry Lane
Off Bowling Back Lane
Bradford, West Yorkshire
England BD4 8SW

Tel (44) 01274 744887

http://www.panda-engineering.co.uk/

regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 12/1/09 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

BenB

posted on 12/1/09 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Mig welding.co.uk suggests it's do-able if you pre-heat the piece first.... They've even got some nice photos showing it being done..... Equally cast iron sure is porous- it'd grip onto JB weld like a really grippy thing!!!
Peteff

posted on 12/1/09 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go with the brazing suggestion if it's not really thick stuff.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JeffHs

posted on 12/1/09 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
I repaired my Suffolk Punch mower with cast iron rods in a stick welder about 20 years ago - still going strong
jacko

posted on 12/1/09 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Pre heat and Mig weld
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 12/1/09 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Pre heat and Mig weld

I did this to the exhaust manifold on my 20V turbo Fiat Coupe which are absolutely reknown for cracking. I v'eed the crack quite deeply, heated the whole thing up in the oven (what a stink...don't do it when SWMBO is around!) and then welded it whilst keeping a blowlamp directed down the branch to keep it hot. Got loads of penetration on it and a pretty decent looking weld. Let it cool down very slowly by pulling the blow lamp out bit by bit and turning it down, then wrapped a fire blanket over it and let it cool down itself.

However, it distorted a little during welding so the flange wasn't totally flat afterwards. I bolted it up, fully expecting it to fail quite quickly, but it lasted 9 months before it started making tractor-like noises when cold, which is a typical sign of a crack.

Took it apart only to find that it was the gasket that had gone. I guess with all the heat cycling the distortion had been removed and clamping force had been reduced on one branch. Not a crack in sight either!

Another I did for a friends 5 cylinder Volvo was still working fine when he sold it a couple of years later.

Fiat manifold before:

After MIGing with normal mild steel wire:

Sadly I couldn't weld this up, though I know someone who has welded up a piston after melting it in a 2-stroke bike with alloy MIG and it was fine!

[Edited on 12/1/09 by MikeRJ]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.