Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Converting Open diff to LSD
asl

posted on 14/1/09 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Converting Open diff to LSD

Hi. I'm just having my diff reratioed and have been offered the option of LSD at the same time. What else would I need if i used an LSD? Would I need to change the shafts etc as well?
nitram38

posted on 14/1/09 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asl
Hi. I'm just having my diff reratioed and have been offered the option of LSD at the same time. What else would I need if i used an LSD? Would I need to change the shafts etc as well?

Only if it makes the dimensions of your diff change. You might have to shorten your shaft/s if it does. This can be expensive if the are custom made.

mcerd1

posted on 14/1/09 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
it depends which kind of LSD your being offered (Ford /Quafie /etc... )

and if its a ford LSD what kind of shafts you've got just now (bolt-on or push-in ? )

blakep82

posted on 14/1/09 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
what kind of axle is it?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ReMan

posted on 14/1/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Indyblade so presumably Sierra Diff.
In which case as long as it';s built back to the same push in/bolt on spec you should be fine

asl

posted on 14/1/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your replies. The donor was a Sierra so I assume the axle etc are ex-sierra. I have push in shafts. One of the reasons I ask is that there are a few LSD Diffs for sale and my other option is to buy a replacement diff. The one I have looked at has (lobros?) so what would I need to do to fit that to the car??
mcerd1

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
the only LSD's that can use push-in shafts are aftermarket ones like quaife, but they arn't cheap!

Lobro's are the bolt-on style of CV joints fitted to some sierras (and most granadas)
the push-in ones are called tripode's (but most people just talk about push-in or bolt-on CV joints)

all ford LSD's will have flanges for bolt-on CV's (but not all diffs with bolt-on's are LSD's)
7" LSD's are normally found in 4x4's (4x4 cossies, XR4x4 etc......) these will be mostly 3.62 ratios (from V6 and cossies) but there are some 3.92 ratio ones (from 2.0 XR4x4's) - if your rebuilding it anyway you can swap the gears from another 7" diff to get what you want
unfortunatly you can't convert the ford LSD's to use push-in shafts

you also get bigger 7.5" LSD's in the 2wd cossies - but I think you'll be better of sticking with the smaller 7" diffs

on the sierra the shafts will have a bolt-on CV at both ends and rear disc brakes or a push-in at both ends and rear drum brakes
I think you can make a mix & match shaft that has a bolt-on joint at the inboard end and a push-in at the outboard end - but I don't know the details (someone else here will know)
failing that you can get the rest of a bolt-on rear axle and fit the whole lot to your car - but this is a little heavier than the push-in bits you've got just now

here's a link with some info on working out whats inside a diff
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=85080

-Robert

[Edited on 15/1/09 by mcerd1]

asl

posted on 15/1/09 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comprehensive reply Robert. Cheers Nathan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.