Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trailing arms / panhard rod
Jasper

posted on 22/7/02 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Trailing arms / panhard rod

What's the best material to make these from, I've seen them in 3/4' & 1' tube, and 1' RHS. Does it matter??
Alan B

posted on 22/7/02 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
I know my build is different but I do have loads of links at the back and I used 1" dia x 16g for mine. Some ends have inserts for Heim/rose joints and some ends have short bushes for rubber or poly bushes (i.e. book style)

I think if the welds are good all those options would be fine. So IMO, no it doesn't matter that much.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 22/7/02 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Mine are 3/4" tube, as I'm sure you saw on Sunday. Can't see that it would make much (if any) difference.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
merlin

posted on 22/7/02 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
You could use 1" dia tube or 1" RHS, it's up to you! (they're the same thing!) Round Hollow Section. Tell me how much you need and I'll throw it in with the order!

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

Ian Pearson

posted on 22/7/02 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Jasper,

Nissan Bluebirds have adjustable trailing arms that are perfect. I made my panhard rod from one as well.

Regards, Ian.

interestedparty

posted on 22/7/02 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
You could use 1" dia tube or 1" RHS, it's up to you! (they're the same thing!) Round Hollow Section.

I thought RHS stood for Rectangular Hollow Section

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Alan B

posted on 22/7/02 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
You could use 1" dia tube or 1" RHS, it's up to you! (they're the same thing!) Round Hollow Section

Hmmm... correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought it was:

RHS - rectangular hollow section
SHS - square hollow section
CHS - circular hollow section

and I don't really think any of this applies to us really. I'm sure the 1" square we use is just 1" square ERW tubing I'm sure all the "HS" sizes all start at bigger sizes and are all metric IIRC.

Yeah, sorry just being pedantic I know, but I did use to buy a lot of steel.

merlin

posted on 22/7/02 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
OK OK! I was only trying to wind him up!
He was going to use solid bar at one point!

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

Alan B

posted on 22/7/02 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
I knew you were joking

BTW, if anyone is interested sizes of all available RHS, CHS, and SHS can be found at http://www.channelwelders.co.uk/Products.htm

You will see as I said earlier that these are really just the thicker sections (i.e. 25 x 25 only starts at 2mm thick) What we really use is 1" square ERW tubing (some HR some CR)

Jasper

posted on 22/7/02 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Solid Bar - I wouldn't do I thing like that!!

PS Merlin, cancel that order, ya big snitch!... Thanks for chucking in the extra tubing, I'm sure you know how much I need, can you add any extra 30mm tube for the bush ends for the rods as well to take the MK bushes, saving me getting it elsewhere?? Don't want much do I..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.