Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: twin 40 weber expert needed
mbate

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
twin 40 weber expert needed

Help, I've got my SVA test on Wednesday and my 1600pinto running twin 40 webers seems to be overfuelling, it idles ok but when you start to rev it ,it sounds like it is overfuelling and black smoke is observed from the exhaust , I set the fuel regulator to 2.7psi and try setting the mixture but can't get it below 6%

Any advice would be greatly appericated

Mark

Happy to Help

flak monkey

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
It will be down to your idle jets being too big, they also control the progression phase in webers. So it might be a bit late for the sva....

This could be solved by increasing the air bleed hole size, or reducing the fuel orifice size.

To find out what you have, take the jet cover off the top and unscrew the solid topped brass screws. These hold the idle jets. Take one out and see what numbers are stamped on it.

You will also always see some black smoke when jabbing the accelerator when you have sidedraughts as they have accelerator pumps in which squirt excess fuel in under heavy acceleration to prevent the engine leaning out.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mbate

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
It will be down to your idle jets being too big, they also control the progression phase in webers. So it might be a bit late for the sva....

This could be solved by increasing the air bleed hole size, or reducing the fuel orifice size.

To find out what you have, take the jet cover off the top and unscrew the solid topped brass screws. These hold the idle jets. Take one out and see what numbers are stamped on it.

You will also always see some black smoke when jabbing the accelerator when you have sidedraughts as they have accelerator pumps in which squirt excess fuel in under heavy acceleration to prevent the engine leaning out.

The numbers stamped on the jets are 45 F9 does that sound right?

Mark

Happy to Help

caber

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Probably needs re-jetting. I am struggling with twin 40s on my Pinto 1600 at the moment I am a bit low on power and have tried changing chokes however this causes huge progression hole but it really kicks when you get over 4000 RPM.

I am out of the country otherwise I would look out the recommended jetting. You need to pull all the jets, emulsion tubes chokes and write down all the numbers on them once you have this info you can start to figure out what to change. Jets are pretty cheap on Ebay, Emulsion Tubes and chokes are much more expensive so keep your fingers crossed.

http://joltfreak.tripod.com/id28.html

this is link to Dave Andrews excellent article on the subject of tuning DCOE carbs

Good Luck

Caber

mbate

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Caber, great find

Mark

Happy to Help

britishtrident

posted on 16/1/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I would guess if it is that rich you want to run a 40F8

Jet codes are

Weak 40F8 -> 40F9 -> 45F8 -> 45F9 -> 50F8 Ritch

Fairly obviously an a 45 jet has a bigger main fuel metering hole than a 40 ----
A **F9 jet is richer than a **F8 jet at the upper end of the idle jets range.

You need to check the main jet sizes also 115 to 125 is the range you should expect to see --- 115 if your engine is unmodified.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.