Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: dip to main beam
triumphdave

posted on 20/1/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
dip to main beam

When switching from dip to main beam does the dip beam stay on?
flippin electrics are doing my head in.It all seemed like a good idea at the time,remove colomn switches and key switch and change all my clocks for a tidy Koso unit and savage switches.Might of helped if I had had a wireing digram I suppose.
Oh the joys of kit car ownership.

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

blakep82

posted on 20/1/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
the dip should go off

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

bassett

posted on 20/1/09 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
TriumphDave im in a similar position with stock sierra loom and adapting it to savage switches - why did i attempt this although i think its something to do with the headlight switched earth connection?

Once i get my head round a few things im sure il work it out as at the moment i just have the horn working, its a start atleast
Adam

[Edited on 20/1/09 by bassett]

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

Mark G

posted on 20/1/09 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
dip must go off as it ruins the bulb if they are both on (if its a H4 bulb).

austin man

posted on 20/1/09 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
remember there are 2 types of sierra switches the difference being the way there earthed if that helps any
hoots_min

posted on 21/1/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem, ended up using two relays and multi configurations attempts until I got it to work and even managed to get the dipped beam to stay on when the full beam is flashed!

If reqd, I can look and see if I still have the final config I used or have a look at the car see if I can make head nor tail of it.

[Edited on 21/1/09 by hoots_min]

Today is a good day: I achieved new heights of ineptitude.

triumphdave

posted on 21/1/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I couldnt get my head around a way of wiring it all up,so phoned Mach#1 who supplied me with the savage switches.There wiring wiz said that the dip stays on when the main is switched on,which makes it easier to wire up.For what its worth I doubt I will use the lights much especially the main beam.Just want them right for MOT time.

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

MikeRJ

posted on 22/1/09 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
If you have separate dipped and main lamps, then the dipped usualy stays on with main. With an H4 type lamp with both dipped and main filaments, only one or the other should operate as it causes the lamp to overheat with both on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.