Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: It could happen to you
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 22/1/09 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
It could happen to you

Found this thread on PH and think its some thing we should all keep in mind.

Read and post your thoughts on this lads experience of it all going wrong.

The bit about what was posted on the web being used against him is another point to discuss.
So read....... absorb........and discuss

Linky It could happen to you link

[Edited on 22-1-09 by mangogrooveworkshop]

McLannahan

posted on 22/1/09 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting stuff that - sent a bit of a shiver down my spine!

Does anyone know what became of him? Is he still in prison? Chap he hit make a better recovery?

mookaloid

posted on 22/1/09 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
At the risk of repeating myself

I firmly believe the only safe place to get any where near to the limits of a cars performance (particularly our cars) is on a track.

It's not so much that they are too fast for the driver (which they can be) but other road users don't understand their capabilities either, so what might seem like a safe overtaking manouver to us looks like lunatic driving to 'normal' road users.

Any way that's why I'm building my indy for the track only.

Just my 2p worth

Mark

edited to correct spelling

[Edited on 22/1/09 by mookaloid]

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

nick205

posted on 22/1/09 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly makes you reflect on yourself.

I'm sure most on here would admit to the odd moment of stupidity behind the wheel.

02GF74

posted on 22/1/09 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
saw that on another site; then someone pointed out that you should drive or ride at the speed you can stop in, in case there is an obstacle in the road.

now discuss.

nick205

posted on 22/1/09 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
saw that on another site; then someone pointed out that you should drive or ride at the speed you can stop in, in case there is an obstacle in the road.

now discuss.

That's very true, but also pretty difficult to maintain at all times.

omega0684

posted on 22/1/09 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
i only had to read the first paragraph to make my decision that he was clearly in the wrong! what was he doing straddling the white lines in the road so close to a blind bend? sorry but he admitted it himself! he caused a serious accident and IMHO he deserves everything he get's!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 22/1/09 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
There but for the grace of God go I etc etc....

then again people do drive like numpties.
Kudos on the bloke for putting it on the web so other people coule learn from his mistake.

madmandegge

posted on 22/1/09 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
i only had to read the first paragraph to make my decision that he was clearly in the wrong! what was he doing straddling the white lines in the road so close to a blind bend? sorry but he admitted it himself! he caused a serious accident and IMHO he deserves everything he get's!

From what I read he was straddling them because he'd lost control of the car, and that's how it had come to rest?

eznfrank

posted on 22/1/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan

Does anyone know what became of him? Is he still in prison? Chap he hit make a better recovery?

Looks like he's out of prison by now. I looked him up on the net and he has a Facebook account (definitely him, GF with same name etc). Funny thing is there is literally nothing about it on the net anywhere, a bit odd really. There's usually a news article kicking around somewhere.

Meeerrrk

posted on 22/1/09 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

yes its a sad situation for all, but its true, he did cause an awful accident and someone was seriously hurt. if it were a car coming the other way he'd probably be the one needing operations for years to come.
its quite close to my heart as my brother is in prison for a motorcycle accident which he caused (he was riding the bike) and the old lady he hit died. Yes its family and yes its sad, but everyone has to face the consequences of their actions. I hate it when people get caught for things (ie speeding etc) and say "how can i get out of it". you cant, you were caught, it was a risk you took, you knew the risks and implications of those risks, and now you have to face up to them.

its a decision we all take, consciously or subconsciously every time we drive in a manner other than 100% within the laws.

regards

mark

For Sale : 2008 Aries/Stuart Taylor Motorsport Locoblade (954 Blade)

JoelP

posted on 22/1/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

er... he crashed?

Its just like the countless people on here who lose control and spin, except a biker hit his wreck and nearly died.

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 22/1/09 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
quote:

Looks like he's out of prison by now. I looked him up on the net and he has a Facebook account (definitely him, GF with same name etc). Funny thing is there is literally nothing about it on the net anywhere, a bit odd really. There's usually a news article kicking around somewhere.

Are you accusing of a fake?!? Surely not!

Interesting read, he was clearly being stupid and he knows it and is serving his time - prison isn't supposed to be fun.

oldtimer

posted on 22/1/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have no sympathy for him what so ever. He was an accident waiting to happen, and it happened. If he had recovered the slide he would have carried on driving the same, and the crash would just have happened somewhere else to somebody else.

I hear very little sympathy for the lives he has ruined. Biker with a smashed body and limited employment prospects.

It could have been any of us coming the other way, child crossing the road, anything.

A real sentance? - 5 years hard labour, life ban on the road and have to financially provide for those he has hurt, for life.

mr henderson

posted on 22/1/09 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've been aware of the thread referred to for some time.

It's my opinion that the chap who caused the accident was dealt with harshly, because of the severity of the accident, which I think, as discussd in a thread on here recently, is unfair. Be that as it may, I also think the motor cyclist contributed substantially to the severity of the accident.

It's all very well to say that he should not have been confronted with a car coming towards him on the wrong side of the road, and indeed he shouldn't. But, FFS, he was riding a motorcycle! In other words, if anything bad was going to happen it was going to happen to him. What's the good of being in the right if you are also in hospital, severely injured?

John

eznfrank

posted on 22/1/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iscmatt
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
quote:

Are you accusing of a fake?!? Surely not!

Interesting read, he was clearly being stupid and he knows it and is serving his time - prison isn't supposed to be fun.

Not accusing him of being a fraud but I am surprised I can't find it anywhere.

Bigheppy

posted on 22/1/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
In a small town not far from where I live a man decided to commit suicide by jumping in front of a motorcycle. The motorcyclist despite severe debilitating injuries is being charged with MANSLAUGHTER !!!
How can this be, the man on the bike was not speeding and had tried to avoid the suicidal maniac. Its a mad world

mr henderson

posted on 22/1/09 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bigheppy
In a small town not far from where I live a man decided to commit suicide by jumping in front of a motorcycle. The motorcyclist despite severe debilitating injuries is being charged with MANSLAUGHTER !!!
How can this be, the man on the bike was not speeding and had tried to avoid the suicidal maniac. Its a mad world

Actually, when you think about it, he's only been charged, not convicted. Maybe the police thought that it was up to the court to decide who was guilty, rather then decide themselves.

John

eznfrank

posted on 22/1/09 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I stand corrected - news linky
Howlor

posted on 22/1/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
If it were a middle aged lady with children who had spun on some ice and the motorcyclist hit her would she have received the same sentence? I think not.

If it is a blind bend should the motorcyclist have slowed to a speed were he could have stopped if there was a problem around the bend? Say animals in the road for instance?

Just my two penneth worth!

Steve

YQUSTA

posted on 22/1/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Well for me I think back to all the nearly moments.

I am sure there are 1 or 2 people that never do anything wrong or never speed but for the most we have all had the heart stopping moment when you think 'that was close' or 'what if'.

Big credit to the guy for admitting what he did was wrong and taking his punishment then posting it for others to learn from.

Shadowcaster

posted on 22/1/09 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by YQUSTA
Well for me I think back to all the nearly moments.

I am sure there are 1 or 2 people that never do anything wrong or never speed but for the most we have all had the heart stopping moment when you think 'that was close' or 'what if'.

Big credit to the guy for admitting what he did was wrong and taking his punishment then posting it for others to learn from.

My sentaments exactly, none of us are perfect

Cheers Rich
The Roadster Blog http://richshaynesroadster.blogspot.com/
It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
Confucius Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)

oldtimer

posted on 22/1/09 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I think accident is probably the wrong word for us to use here. He obviously condoned and drove in a way that endangered others. Finally he got caught out, and someone else has paid the bigger price for his bad driving.
JoelP

posted on 22/1/09 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Howlor
If it were a middle aged lady with children who had spun on some ice and the motorcyclist hit her would she have received the same sentence? I think not.

Clearly a different case though, spinning on ice is not a crime and this poor chap had a lot of witnesses saying (rightly or wrongly) he drove like a lunatic.

If he lost control on a bend he clearly was going too fast, there's no way round that. I have driven in a manner that has shocked and scared many people, but ive never lost control by myself; indeed, ive never lost control at speed at all. The bottom line is he went too far. It doesnt matter what the witnesses say, though that is what damned him, the fact that he lost control is what started this sorry mess.

oldtimer

posted on 22/1/09 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
It is definitly a terrible mess.

But was the old lady an accident? well, like the speeding Honda, she failed to drive according to the road and prevailing conditions. Just as guilty in some eyes, just as innocent in others.....

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.