Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT – Nile cruse
Mr Whippy

posted on 30/1/09 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
OT – Nile cruse

I’ve got some holidays I need to take before I lose them, so me and missy have decided we’re going to Egypt to see the pyramids finally I get to see them…

Though there's lots of holidays in resorts, I really want to go on a boat and have finally persuaded little miss seasick that a river boat will be fine

Unfortunately we’re really struggling to get a cruse that goes the right way down the Nile! For some bizarre reason the they all seem to start in Luxor (near the valley of the kings) and then sail down in the opposite direction to the pyramids!! That seems balmy to me.

It appears that loads of folk go there so I was hoping that someone here would be able to recommend a holiday for 7 nights? Also should point out we’re Scottish and so don’t like giving away our money

Thanks

[Edited on 30/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 30/1/09 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Can't recommend a holiday - we went with Bales about 20 years ago. But we started off at Cairo then transferred to elephantine island (fantastic place) & then joined the boat for 5 days up the Nile finishing at Luxor. IIRC it doesn't go beyond Luxor due to the Aswan dam/Lake Nasser but i may be misremembering?
Go see your doctor b4 you go & ask him for something to counter the bugs you will get on the boat! Of 34 people in our group 32 had montezumas in greater or lesser degrees - the only 2 who didn't had been prescribed something from their doctor b4 they came away - sorry don't know what it was tho' acidophilus might help.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nitram38

posted on 30/1/09 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
We went to Aiya Napa in Cyprus and they do a 3 day cruise from there visiting the valley of the kings.
We didn't go but others said that it was about all the time you would want to spend in eygpt!
The boat can be booked in cyprus and cost about £130 each. Included food and on board entertainment etc.

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/1/09 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
superb info guy thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 30/1/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
here you go Whippy

http://www.anglowelsh.co.uk/

Craig

Benzine

posted on 30/1/09 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Egyptian mythology is awesome, it's all about sex

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
That seems balmy to me.

lol @ pun

quote:
Also should point out we’re Scottish and so don’t like giving away our money

Buy a Nile cd instead?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5ZYLhCfww4

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/1/09 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
here you go Whippy

http://www.anglowelsh.co.uk/

hmm ta but I don't think I'm old and gray enough yet to enjoy that, Wales was nice though

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/1/09 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Egyptian mythology is awesome, it's all about sex

quote:
That seems balmy to me.

lol @ pun

well spotted

there didn't seem to be much sex in stargate Carters hot though

Slater

posted on 30/1/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
We did a nile crusie last year. Luxor - Aswan - Luxor.

It was excellent, don't go in middle of summer, it's too hot. Nobody got ill on the boat. You will sit with the same people for meals so it's a bit hit or miss, you might land up with some boring folk. All 10 people on our table got on well, had a right laugh and it made the holiday.

Do the balloon ride, don't do the pyrimids.

Let me know if you go and I'll give you some more tips.
Keith.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

uklee70

posted on 30/1/09 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I work for Thomson Cruises and we have a ship down in the red sea in a month or so.

The red sea is calm and if you do that cruise you get to see alot more places of interest

Safaga for luxor and Hurghada
Port Sokhna Pyramids Cairo Museum
Aqaba - Petra

You will be knackered at the end of the week but a great experience.

Regards

Lee
Cruise Director
Thomson Celebration
Floating around the Canary Islands

MikeR

posted on 30/1/09 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
does that count as a trade advert

(that was a joke by the way, u2u being sent about a cruise for my parents)

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/1/09 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys for the help, its all very much appreciated

BenB

posted on 30/1/09 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Rule of thumb for Nile cruises is get the star rating of the cruise and take off 3 stars

Be careful re the food. Might be worth taking some ciprofloxacin with you incase you get salmonella / campolobacter. Usually it's just monte's revenge (ie viral gastroenteritis or getting used to the local E.coli).

Whereever you go tourist-aimed boat trips tend to be bad from a squits point of view. Presumably lack of fresh running water. One of the illest people I've seen had campylobacter due to a House boat trip in South India (Kerrala).

The dream: serenely cruising though the Nile, looking out onto the ancient buildings of Egypt, the smell of cinnamon and cumin heady in the air, with the sound of flapping sails and baying camels to lull you to sleep at night as the gentle breeze wafts through the window.

The reality: stuck in an over-crowded, sweaty old barge that stinks of diesel, the only sounds being the groans of people as they have explosive diarrhoea on the can, with the smell of extrement wafting through the ship, and occasional stops so that you can have 20 minutes to try and see some sights but end up getting ripped off by a local for some tatty jewellery made out of radioactive tin

Nile cruises can be great but they can also be like an all-inclusive family ticket to Camp Delta (but with worse food).....

.... and if you try climbing up one of the pyramid stones you tend to get shot by the local army....

russbost

posted on 30/1/09 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
We found the boat fine & the food tasted good - problem is, I suspect that food is washed & cooked using Nile water & they do everything in that!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.