Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 0-60 in 4 seconds
Angus180

posted on 6/2/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
0-60 in 4 seconds

im after a car to drive on nice days and do a few track days, i want something fast (4 sec to 60) and that will pull on to a 100 well. can i get anything good for around 5-6k maybe more?? ive been looking at cars or 6months now and still not to sure. .
Hellfire

posted on 6/2/09 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
You need something with a bike engine. Not seen owt recently but you should be able to get hold of one for that kind of money.

Phil

A1

posted on 6/2/09 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
not really in the spirit of this site, i saw a 99 impreza on piston heads for 6500 ish...
apart from that, a BECs the way to go!

twybrow

posted on 6/2/09 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
not really in the spirit of this site, i saw a 99 impreza on piston heads for 6500 ish...
apart from that, a BECs the way to go!

That is quite a lot... I sold my MY98 turbo (UK) for £4000 2 years ago!

Angus180

posted on 6/2/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
im really after a bec, built to a good standard, then if i wanted i could up grade diferent bits. not sure what engine tho. i was thinking mnr vortex or a mk indy.

[Edited on 6/2/09 by Angus180]

Paul TigerB6

posted on 6/2/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
As above - a BEC is the way to go.

Keep an eye on the likes of Pistonheads as well as here in the For Sale section

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=141

carpmart

posted on 6/2/09 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
30-100 is what you will use more.

0-60 is just about bragging. To many harsh starts and you kill the clutch or damage gearbox on a BEC.

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Angus180

posted on 6/2/09 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
very true,
sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 6/2/09 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Go with the 'Busa every time, and if that doesn't do it for you stick a turbo on it! Hole Shot Turbo Link

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

Hellfire

posted on 6/2/09 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart

0-60 is just about bragging. To many harsh starts and you kill the clutch or damage gearbox on a BEC.

What a load of rubbish.............

Phil

mark chandler

posted on 6/2/09 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
More rubbish.....

"you'll be disapointed with the acceleration on the road, when you pull out to over take any reasonably powered road car, who decides to accelerate, and forces you too give up. (although there is other ways )"

I find the acceleration of my humble but light 893 Blade BEC extremely fast up to 100, certainly faster than s2000 honda, 3.2v6 golf and numerous other cars I shot by on the track in the summer.

Thats not long straights BTW, it was at Lydden!

Angus180

posted on 6/2/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
humm lots to think about, i want to be able to over take something fast on the road, should i be looking at a car engine???
Angus180

posted on 6/2/09 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
humm lots to think about, i want to be able to over take something fast on the road, should i be looking at a car engine???
Hellfire

posted on 6/2/09 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
You'll be able to overtake fast road cars with ease in a BEC. You've always got the advantage in a BEC because you'll be in the power band whilst cruising at 70mph @ 6,000rpm. A quick squirt of the throttle and you're past them in no time.

Phil

easisatman

posted on 6/2/09 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Get a bec a IIbought a R1 raw striker last year for around that money, and wow it go,s not much to touch it! but warning it will give you a permanant silly grin!!! revs to 12-13000 rpm and 6 speed sequential gearbox tell me a road car that can boast that !!!
Paul

Angus180

posted on 6/2/09 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
what are the disadvantages of a bec? and as long as i can keep with my mates impreza
daniel mason

posted on 6/2/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
i would imagine you would murder it around a track,but probably would be similar on the road.Although torque figures are low on a BEC you would be surprised how well they pull in any gear,due to the very light weight. The top speed will not even be close to that of an impreza though, assuming its a turbo and around 150mph
INDY BIRD

posted on 6/2/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Must say had a similar experience on the road in a zx12r indy against a audi 4.0 tdi a6 or 8,

got to the alledgely 90+mph and this thing was off with my foot flat down in 5th pulling like a train i had no chance,

of the mark once caught up no problem but into the high speeds he would pass,

as you say round a track out braking and corner speed is the difference,

and the wind in your hair or lack of it in my case always makes it feel faster than it actually is,

but either way bang for buck around 6k bec will make you smile all the way,and prob aoutdo most things on the road.

good luck

Ian-B

posted on 6/2/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
If getting to 60 in under 4 seconds is your priority, then a BEC may not be the best choice. From the data I've recorded on our RGB racer (ZX12R, sports prototype type body around 580kgs with driver), 60 is not normally achieved in under 4 seconds in a race start (data taken from a car that rarely lost position off the grid), 100mph normally arrives in around 9 seconds. I think the (relatively) slow 0-60 time is due to the higher first gear, type of clutch and lack of interia in the engine, it is very easy to either bog down or spin the tyres, maximium acceleration is not normally achieved until around 50mph.

For higher speed acceleration I doubt the engine type really makes a hugh difference, it will just be a function of drag, power and mass. Unless of course you find an engine with very narrow power band.

Do a search on youtube for RGB Birkett race vidoes, you will see very little to choose between the quick bike cars and quick CEC cars on the straight, even when they both start at the same speed.

Ian

[Edited on 6/2/09 by Ian-B]

[Edited on 7/2/09 by Ian-B]

slimtater

posted on 7/2/09 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Back to the original question - yes a 7 type car that ticks those boxes should be available for that type of money.
I may be tempted to sell mine, this is the original advert from the guy I bought it from:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=87957
I don't think you will ever get the answer "is it what I want" until you try one - comparing torquey turbo diesels with a BEC isn't what you were after?

Wadders

posted on 7/2/09 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
No suprise to me, iv'e done the 0-60 challenge at york raceway three times, and the best officially recorded time was 4.54 secs with a 1/4 mile of 13.1 secs. And that's trying really hard over 40 runs or so.
A real sub 4 secs is incredibly hard to achieve in any car, and unless i see an official timing slip, i take it all with a large pinch of salt.

Al.

]Originally posted by Ian-B
If getting to 60 in under 4 seconds is your priority, then a BEC may not be the best choice. From the data I've recorded on our RGB racer (ZX12R, sports prototype type body around 580kgs with driver), 60 is not normally achieved in under 4 seconds in a race start (data taken from a car that rarely lost position off the grid), 100mph normally arrives in around 9 seconds. I think the (relatively) slow 0-60 time is due to the higher first gear, type of clutch and lack of interia in the engine, it is very easy to either bog down or spin the tyres, maximium acceleration is not normally achieved until around 50mph.

For higher speed acceleration I doubt the engine type really makes a hugh difference, it will just be a function of drag, power and mass. Unless of course you find an engine with very narrow power band.

Do a search on youtube for RGB Birkett race vidoes, you will see very little to choose between the quick bike cars and quick CEC cars on the straight, even when they both start at the same speed.

Ian

[Edited on 6/2/09 by Ian-B]

[Edited on 7/2/09 by Ian-B]

mr henderson

posted on 7/2/09 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
No suprise to me, iv'e done the 0-60 challenge at york raceway three times, and the best officially recorded time was 4.54 secs with a 1/4 mile of 13.1 secs. And that's trying really hard over 40 runs or so.
A real sub 4 secs is incredibly hard to achieve in any car, and unless i see an official timing slip, i take it all with a large pinch of salt.

Al.

That's interesting, as there is somebody on here who reckons their cars can do it in 2.7sec

quote:
Originally posted by Procomp (in the anti-squat thread)
The LOCOST race cars are not allowed to run true anti squat as the dimensions for the rear pickup positions on the chassis are effectivly fixed. However the other car i produce the LA gold comes as standard with fully inbuilt adjustable anti squat. I believe it is the only live axle kitcar that comes from a manufacturer with this facility in the UK . Having spent 10+ years passionately playing with various settings dampers and corner weight settings we have got it to a point where we can give the driver exactly what he need with a bit of work. It is capable of propelling a 500 kg +drivers weight car without a LSD to do 0-60 mph in 2.7 and the 0-64Ft time in 1.9 pulling just over 1 G off the line. Once you have it dialed in it can be very effective

carpmart

posted on 7/2/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart

What a load of rubbish.............

Phil

Why is this rubbish??? I take it you don't agree with some or all of my post???

In my opinion, what makes a car good to drive is not 0-60 its how well it deals with traffic and overtakes, hence why 30-100 is a more important measurement!

I don't drive a BEC on the road (have a bike engined race car). As my Fury is turbo'd, between 30-100 is pretty good! This is what I use on the road and where my comment in the post originates.

0-60 is pretty pointless and my experience of BEC's, even with stiffer springs in the clutch and OEM plates they are susceptible to too many 'race' starts. The only thing I break in my bike engines is gearboxes.

So - I was relaying my experiences to the original poster - I would love to know what is 'rubbish'?

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Hellfire

posted on 7/2/09 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I should have stated which part of your post I think is rubbish.

Too many harsh starts and you kill the clutch or damage the gearbox

In both the BEC's we've owned, we've never yet had to replace a clutch or a damaged gearbox. Maybe the starts haven't been harsh enough.

Phil

jacko

posted on 7/2/09 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone got a link to the drag times from the MK day at melborn drag way i think it was in 2006
thanks Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.