Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1.6 silver top pistons
*davies144*

posted on 6/2/09 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
1.6 silver top pistons

Hi, is it possible if i remove the crank and pistons from the sump end, is it possible to fit the pistons back in from the bottom? As i need to inspect the rings and when i baught the engine i was told the ring need replacing but its had a full head rebuild so i was trying not to disturb the head??
Thinking about it

posted on 6/2/09 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
I think you are more likely to break your new rings trying to do it that way.
austin man

posted on 7/2/09 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
nope not an option the pistons have to be fed in from the top down, the man whho had the head dome to then decide it was the ring must be a foooool. The zetec is a strong engine have yor compression tested it ???
mediabloke

posted on 7/2/09 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
Dude - No offence meant, but assuming it's a car engine, get the head off! Speaking as a noob who's just done the same job, I'd do it the same way again, if I had to.

Not sure what you'll gain by keeping the block in the car. By the time you've laid underneath the sump getting mucky oil dripped in your face, you'll wish you'd removed the head & taken the block from the car.

Plus, you can get it onto a bench / engine stand, so you can do a better job. And if there are any marks, the head's coming off anyway to re-hone the bores before you put rings in...

And of course you'll have the Haynes manual handy, for tasks, torque settings, etc...

HTH - Francis

[Edited on 7/2/09 by mediabloke]

Danozeman

posted on 7/2/09 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Why did the bloke have the head done a fit it knowing the rings were shagged??

Youl definatley need the head off to take the pistons out. Yould never get them back in. If the engines not fitted yet its a peice of wee and only gonna cost you 20 quid for another head gasket.

Why does it need new rings? Theyr quite strong unless its exceptionally high mileage and had no maintenance.? Mine had done over 100k and i only replaced the rings because the oil scraper gauze were broken and couldnt get the oil rings on there own.

[Edited on 7/2/09 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Werner Van Loock

posted on 7/2/09 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
Why did the bloke have the head done a fit it knowing the rings were shagged??

Youl definatley need the head off to take the pistons out. Yould never get them back in. If the engines not fitted yet its a peice of wee and only gonna cost you 20 quid for another head gasket.

Why does it need new rings? Theyr quite strong unless its exceptionally high mileage and had no maintenance.? Mine had done over 100k and i only replaced the rings because the oil scraper gauze were broken and couldnt get the oil rings on there own.

[Edited on 7/2/09 by Danozeman]

I also got an engine like that. The previous owner was selling it as it was using a lot of oil, and the dealer/garage told him it were the valvestem seals, so they rebuild the head at a serious cost just to find out afterwards it was still using a lot of oil and that it were the pistonrings of cilinder3. And instead of going back to the main stealer they just bought a good 2nd hand engine and put that in. So i have a 1.6 Zetec SE wich might need some honing and new piston rings with a rebuild head for 20£

He might be in the same situation.

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
*davies144*

posted on 8/2/09 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
orite well thanks for the advice, i got told the engine is was puffing smoke at 2 grand and because the previous owner had the head rebuilt he thought the rings would need changing? i have the engine now on an engine stand so it is easily accesible

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.