Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 13 core flex
gaz_moose

posted on 8/2/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
13 core flex

hi,
i intend to wire most of my chassis with 13 core flex i was just wondering what the amp ratings were and if the thicker wires inside it were ok for my fuel pump (bosch 044) and headlamps etc..

whilst im on the subject

wire is described like,
21/0.30 1.5mm i take it this means that there are 21 strands of 0.30mm wire and that the total OD including the plastic protector is 1.5mm.is this right or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

cheers gaz.

blakep82

posted on 8/2/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
the 1.5mm is usually just the wire itself without insulation i think

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

gaz_moose

posted on 8/2/09 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
looking on vehicle wiring products website and it says 13 core has 12 of the same and one thicker but western towing (who i found were the cheapest) says its 8 thin and 5 thick im confused.

vwp site has a good explanation of wire sizing,typical i see it after asking a question

blakep82

posted on 8/2/09 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
why would anyone want 13 core flex, all the same colour insulation?! that would be a nightmare to wire up

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

redscamp

posted on 8/2/09 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
if its 1.5mm˛ its good for 16 Amps
nitram38

posted on 9/2/09 at 01:58 AM Reply With Quote
Personally, I would wire it properly with different colour singles.
When you go to sell your car, it will devalue it if they see flex.
A proper loom in recognisable colours means less of a headache when trying to trace problems.

Humbug

posted on 9/2/09 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Assuming that you mean trailer flex, surely all the cores are different colours anyway? If so, as long as you note down somewhere which colour goes to which lights etc. IMHO it would be much better than individual cables - certainly neater and easier to route.
nitram38

posted on 9/2/09 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
Assuming that you mean trailer flex, surely all the cores are different colours anyway? If so, as long as you note down somewhere which colour goes to which lights etc. IMHO it would be much better than individual cables - certainly neater and easier to route.

I don't think it will be all that tidy, especially if you need to pick up accessories enroute. There will be joins everywhere.

gaz_moose

posted on 9/2/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
when i said they were the same i meant they were all the same thickness not colour.
i dont see how it would detract from the value.
i will have a few cores leftover for any future add on's
i was going to draw out a wiring diagram before i start and to help any future fault findings.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.