Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reconditioned Type 9; from Rally Design, of BGH?
Mave

posted on 9/2/09 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Reconditioned Type 9; from Rally Design, of BGH?

For my supercharged Zetec conversion, I'm considering swapping my current Type 9 gearbox for a reconditioned Type 9 with stronger internals (and perhaps shorter ratios) from Rally Design. Does anyone have experience with their reconditioned boxes? What's the difference between the more expensive BGH box and the Rally Design ones?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JamJah

posted on 9/2/09 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
A clue!

This is personal advise or personal opinion.
Constructive comments gratefully recieved, picking is left for noses.

Surrey Dave

posted on 9/2/09 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Oops!

When they talk about attention to detail, they could look at the 'history' webpage.

'Patients' should be 'Patience' , no doubt good boxes though.

JamJah

posted on 9/2/09 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
...and 'I' instead of 'in'.
Noticed them but figured they were engineers (number men) not wordsmiths.

JamJah

posted on 9/2/09 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
In fact just rewritten the whole lot for them....

From being reconditioners of most types of car and light commercial gearboxes in 1967, B. G. Hill was always interested in close ratio variants of Ford gearboxes. From reconditioning and modifying with new Ford gears or modification using Ford gears from other gearboxes, a range of special ratios was evolved.
When the Type 9 Sierra 5 speed gearbox became available it was clear that even the 2.8 gearset did not have a long enough first gear for light weight sports cars. So BGH designed and had manufactured the gears to modify.
It took a while to find a decent understanding gear manufacturer. We only buy top quality components, we do not cut corner and we stand by our guarantee, unlike some!
Our inspection routines and modifications to improve lubrication and gear selection are proven and are the reason for our good reputation.
Patience, careful attention to detail and pride of workmanship is the key to our success. No less in the future than in the past.
Our design, development and testing continues to ensure our future and as modifications become available they will be incorporated in our production gearboxes.

modee

posted on 9/2/09 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
We have used BHG type 9 boxes in our 750 mc Locosts for several years. Never had a problem. Great boxes, great service. Maurice Dudley.
bimbleuk

posted on 9/2/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I'm aware the BGH gearboxes are built with improvements from their experiences with them. Possibly the Rally Design boxes are purely re-built boxes using new bearings, synchros and seals?

My E7 T9 BGH box has been used on several of my engine configurations including my current supercharged 4AGE with 270BHP and 195 lbs ft and so far has survived the abuse!

Mave

posted on 9/2/09 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, so I take it that nobody has used the Rally Design 'box? It's quite a bit cheaper than the BGH 'box. Of course there must be a difference, but I'd like to know if the BGH is really worth the extra for a 200 bhp road car.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.