Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine swap and legal change question
Moorron

posted on 12/2/09 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Engine swap and legal change question

Morning guys. I am after some advice on a change to my car that effects the insurance and there’s going to be some on here that have done this so could they offer me that advice?

I have just swapped my CBR1000F engine to a ZX12R engine which I did myself over Xmas. My insurance runs from march to march and I just wanted to know what I should do regarding this change. Do I first get the DVLA to change the engine size on the log book and then ring the insurance to change it? Or do I do it the other way round. Also would it be worth the ‘risk’ to not tell the insurance company until renewal time as i am unlikely to use the car on the road before hand anyway (some private road testing).

I got the engine from Malc on here but have no receipt but do I need one for the DVLA or is it a matter of filling a form in with new engine size and engine number and sending it off?

cheers

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/2/09 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
If you are going to use it at all on the road then tell the insurance company, if you don’t, effectively you don’t have any cover either.

Make the change to the V5 and send it in (IMPORTANT : take some a photo copys first), if they ask for proof, drive it to a bike workshop and get them to sign a confirmation on the engine type and size. Just make up a receipt as they have no way of even checking its valid. I made up heaps for my beach buggy on the computer as I’d neglected to collect a single one

[Edited on 12/2/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 12/2/09 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
As you are going up in capacity and not changing tax band, the DVLA may well be quite happy to accept you simply completing the V5 and sending it in.

As for insurance, as above best to change it if you use it on the road. They might not even charge you seeing as its such a short period and am sure they will be looking for you to renew with them - i'd actually ask about renewal if you call them and steer them into thinking you might go elsewhere if they charge you now for the sake of a few weeks of change in engine size. Worst case if you dont tell them and need to make a claim is you invalidate your insurance.

idl1975

posted on 12/2/09 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
You absolutely must tell them! This is the sort of thing that will be "material" for an insurer. You don't want something to happen and then have a claim denied.

Get a couple of quotes before notifying them and then you have some idea whether any increased premium is worth paying.

quote:
Originally posted by Moorron
Morning guys. I am after some advice on a change to my car that effects the insurance and there’s going to be some on here that have done this so could they offer me that advice?

I have just swapped my CBR1000F engine to a ZX12R engine which I did myself over Xmas. My insurance runs from march to march and I just wanted to know what I should do regarding this change. Do I first get the DVLA to change the engine size on the log book and then ring the insurance to change it? Or do I do it the other way round. Also would it be worth the ‘risk’ to not tell the insurance company until renewal time as i am unlikely to use the car on the road before hand anyway (some private road testing).

I got the engine from Malc on here but have no receipt but do I need one for the DVLA or is it a matter of filling a form in with new engine size and engine number and sending it off?

cheers

Hellfire

posted on 12/2/09 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
We did a similar thing when we changed our engine to ZX12R. Inform insurance company first and foremost. There may be a small premium to pay but it will be small given the time remaining on your current policy. Then use the V5C to inform DVLA of the change in engine size. They won't need any receipts or photographs cos you've gone up in capacity.

Phil

kj

posted on 12/2/09 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
I done recent engine change and the DVLA asked for a recipt from the garage to confirm the engine number and size of engine as i put 1.6 and not 1593cc.
The engine was mine anyway from a scapped car and i was the last owner, got a friend at a garage to do a recipt for me stating the engine number and correct size.

whitestu

posted on 12/2/09 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

They won't need any receipts or photographs cos you've gone up in capacity.

In my experience the DVLA will require an garage / engineers report before allowing you to change.

My change was form 1.8 to 2.0.

Stu

02GF74

posted on 12/2/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
even if you don't use it on road., let's say you forot to do a fuel clip and came home to find your garage and car burnt down, would the insurance company pay up if they found out the engine was not the one they insured?

Moorron

posted on 12/2/09 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for the replies. i will ring the insurance int he morning then and also mention 'renewal' to try and hint i want them to keep it cheap so i will do business with them again.

I will alsowa letter with a 'receipt' and the log book to the dvla and see what happens.

Thanks

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.