Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bending wing stays
RK

posted on 13/2/09 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
bending wing stays

I have nice CF wings from CarbonMods that I don't want to wreck. People have put little notches in the bends of their stays, so that the flat part goes UNDER the fender itself, and not through the edge. How is this done?
Mr Whippy

posted on 13/2/09 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Really the best way is to buy a blow torch and heat the metal up till its glowing.

With a little practice with the metal in the vice you'll find it very easy to bend just where you want.

Let the metal cool naturally, no dipping in water as doing that would make the metal brittle

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 13/2/09 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
After the original style stays broke, I made some new ones myself from thicker and wider flat bar. To get under the lip of the wing, I ended up having a short stretch of angle between the upright bit and the bit under the wing, sort of like this:

------
/
|
|
|
if that makes sense. Doing it that way avoided having to do an extra bend like this:

-------
_|
|
|

Edit - the lines don;t show up very well but hopefully you can see what I'm on about

[Edited on 13.02.2009 by Humbug]

RK

posted on 13/2/09 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
My wings have a right angle 90 degree bend between the part over the tyre and the lip, and require the second type.

And though I appreciate the advice Whippy, I am NOT taking these off after what I went through to get the stays on!

this is looking like another one of those jobs to hire someone for. I don't want to destroy $500 worth of fenders!!

[Edited on 13/2/09 by RK]

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/2/09 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
I thought most folk bolted the stays on using the uprights brake mud shield bolts holes (usually 3 of them)

How have you fix your ones on?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 13/2/09 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
glad to hear you are still plugging away RK. Keep it up mate.

[Edited on 13/2/09 by Dangle_kt]

BenB

posted on 13/2/09 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Mine were made by 20mm wide 5mm thick steel bar. Put them in a vice and walloped them with a big hammer. Job done.
foes

posted on 13/2/09 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
I have nice CF wings from CarbonMods that I don't want to wreck. People have put little notches in the bends of their stays, so that the flat part goes UNDER the fender itself, and not through the edge. How is this done?

Ha ha, i've just done exactly this and was going to post the exact same question before trying it, but i ended up just going for it in the end...

I did a 'triple' bend so the stays cleared the tyre and then bent under the wing so i didn't have to cut a notch in them...

These are supplied from aries, the flat bar is 5mm thick. I bent them with the aid of a vice and big hammer, once bent i noticed some cracks on the insde radius of some of the bends (too sharp a radius i think) so i welded up a fillet on the inside of each bend then dressed back to a nice smooth radius. I also welded in a support tube between the two stays as they seemed a bit flexible, just got them back from powdercoat and they look pretty good!
My wings are from carbon mods too, they aren't positioned perfectly as i'd like them but they look good, and sva in just over 2 weeks so haven't got time to muck about with them!

RK

posted on 13/2/09 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hey, that's the ticket!

Oh, I'm not close to giving up. I don't really have a lot to do besides:
1. make a bonnet
2. mount the nosecone, scuttle, rear arches and front wings
3. install passenger seat/ seatbelts
4. wire the car (dash wired over the past couple of weeks) - engine wired now, loom and fusebox installed, ready for lights etc
5. install windshield/wiper transmission boxes
6. install lights
7. washer nozzle

Other than that, done. Can't do painting til it warms up, but ready with the spray gun and compressor!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.