Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ebay woes
JamJah

posted on 16/2/09 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay woes

Ok, not generally an eBay downer as I have generally steered clear if something looks dodgy.

Tonight there were tickets to a gig going on value. The listing had 2 sets available and the body text defiantly said bidding on a pair of tickets. Seller has 100% feedback and a decent number of points. 10 minutes to go, no bids...

So I email the seller and cheekily gave an offer of the face value, postage and an extra tenner ie £70, to which I was told that it was £50 for the pair that's what I was originally thinking to pay each. Being ultra cautious I send an email confirming definitely £50 for a pair for the right gig etc etc. And the one word response was “yes”.

So I bid, and I win one of the pair and receive the following email:

“Did you think you were getting one or two tickets as Ebay seems to have put through 2 winning bidders both at £60 and I only have two tickets?”

I will copy and paste the dialogue that opened from here…

”I wanted 2 tickets. I did even confirm that it was £50 for a pair and not £50 each as the ebay listing suggested.”

“Sorry Ebay has put forward 2 winning bidders - it must have thought I was selling tickets individually when as you say I was not. I have already received money from the other bidder so I guess i will have to send the tickets to him. Sorry about this and please do not send any money.”

“Not too satisfactory at all from my point of view. Imagine I had won then not paid, would you have been happy?
We have entered into a contract for you to supply me with a pair of tickets at £60. I had even checked it was for a pair. I feel your only option is to source another pair to make sure your not in breach of our contract.”

“Sorry about that I suggest you take it up with Ebay who appear to have made a real dogs dinner of this! Yes I was always selling the two tickets but perhaps you can tell me what I am supposed to do when Ebay declare two winners at the same price for what is one lot. I am reasonably new at this but have sold a few items before now without any problem. Once again I can only apologize for the inconvenience.”

Now I haven’t paid the guy, but that isn’t the point. Where should I go from here?

This is personal advise or personal opinion.
Constructive comments gratefully recieved, picking is left for noses.

eddie99

posted on 16/2/09 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hes obviously scamming or trying to get himself out of something because Ebay never declares 2 winners unless he puts 2 listings up for the same thing which was his fault. Maybe he put quantity 2 when he listed it so its his fault.
I would report it to ebay and leave him bad feedback but on the other hand he does seem genuinely sorry so it depends how you feel.
Ed

[Edited on 16/2/09 by eddie99]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coozer

posted on 16/2/09 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Just forget it, I know your disappointed but at least he's been honest? and not scammed you for the cash.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

clairetoo

posted on 16/2/09 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'm guessing that he had two tickets for sale , so under `quantity` he put two - when he should have put one , since they were for sale as a pair ?
Which makes it his cock-up , not ebay's
A total numpty IMHO .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

McLannahan

posted on 16/2/09 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest he seems quite genuine and a mistake has been made by him for not checking his advert before he posted it.

I'd be annoyed but he is being polite and I do value that. I'd be annoyed but just move on. Now the other chap has paid and beaten you to it there's not a lot you can do!

I'd certainly not persue him to supply you with tickets. It seems like an honest mistake to me.

JamJah

posted on 16/2/09 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
I'm guessing that he had two tickets for sale , so under `quantity` he put two - when he should have put one , since they were for sale as a pair ?
Which makes it his cock-up , not ebay's
A total numpty IMHO .

That was my thoughts entirely.

ReMan

posted on 16/2/09 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
A dick trying to get a better price methinks.
Did you bid on or off eBay though as you mentionan email?
Either way you've lost nothing do t waste any more energy

JamJah

posted on 16/2/09 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
I did everything legitly and on ebay.

Jon Ison

posted on 16/2/09 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
eBay do declare two or more winners, we have sold 4 items at the one bid price to four different winners before,

Confused ? I know what I mean.

Hellfire

posted on 17/2/09 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think it was done as an intentional scam...

Seems the guy has made a genuine error in setting up the quantity as previously stated.

Yes you have a contract with him but if you persue it - you would not win the eBay judgement.

Move on - you've lost no money...

Steve

MK9R

posted on 17/2/09 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
I've listed tickets on ebay before, and it is very confusing. I actually ended up listing it wrongly and had to end the listing to redo it. if you have multiple items, it goes to the top bidders, i.e. 3 items, 3 top bidders get it for the lowest bid.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrism

posted on 17/2/09 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Who bid first, as I would say they are the one who should get the tickets as a first come first served situation, as it looks like the seller didnt setup the auction correctly.

Ive seen that before being done by a new seller, he had listed a pair of mini front hubs but had put the number avilable down as 2 so I ended up emailing him to check and only bid on one.

[Edited on 17/2/09 by chrism]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.