Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 5VY
RickRick

posted on 18/2/09 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
R1 5VY

Help!
r1 5vy, was running, nothing should have changed with regard to wiring, but it won't quite run.
It's turning over and there's a good amount of fuel pressure and flow. it's just about firing, but it won't kick into life

any ideas?

ko_racer

posted on 18/2/09 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you've no dash and can't get the error code, I'd check:

Lean Angle Switch (Check Orientation and check as per service manual test)
Crank Position Sensor
Test Start Inhibitor Box as per Yamaha Service Manual (They are known to break)

If you are getting a spark, check a coil pack by taking spark plug out, put in coil pack and short against motor.

If you are getting a spark and fuel it should start.

If you have a power commander, recalibrate the min & max throttle in the software, we have had this and it causes all sorts of starting and idle problems.

If still nothing, come back to me.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RickRick

posted on 18/2/09 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
just on with trying to sort out getting the koso rev counter wired up to try to get error codes.
could someone confirm the location of the taco cable out of the ecu i'm seeing 2 yellow black wires!
the difference between the wiring coc err mistakes i made initaly, it'd turn over, but no hint of starting. this time it's firing, but just short of actualy running.

edit crank sensor checks out ok
got fuel pressure and plugs look wet
got full set of 4 sparks
lean angle switch returns correct voltage
I've had a power comander connected, but it's unplugged now, can that still effect the throtle points?

[Edited on 18/2/09 by RickRick]

[Edited on 18/2/09 by RickRick]

foes

posted on 18/2/09 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
yellow black rpm signal wire should come from pin 29 on ecu.

Oh yeh, last time mine wouldn't start it was the lean angle cut off switch, just tilting it back the right way didn't reset it, i had to disconnect the battery then reconnect and it fired straight into life, i've since glued the lean angle cut off switch in postion so it cannot cut in accidentally.

[Edited on 18/2/09 by foes]

RickRick

posted on 18/2/09 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
ok I've tested everything i can find to test in the manual everything's fine

what i have found out by accident more than anything is that it's running mega rich, it'll run with the throttle bodys lifted slightly away from the rubbers allowing extra air in.

any suggestions?

RickRick

posted on 18/2/09 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
foes, the lean angle switch was my very first mistake, spend many hours checking over the loom for wiring mistakes, then it dawned on me! the pendulam's fixed in position now.

also it's firing, which mine refused to do with the lean angle on it's side

RickRick

posted on 19/2/09 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
could someone confirm the location of the fuel feed from the pump, propshaft side of TB fuel rail or clutch side. Thanks
road warrior

posted on 21/2/09 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
You probably figured this out by now but "clutch side" in and "propshaft side" out.

This may or may not help you (and you may think I am on drugs) but....I don't know if you have chopped up the original loom or not but there is an earth wire in the COILS (edit) harness that goes back to the dash harness. If there is a bad earth (or in my case not connected) it will run rich. With mine it was only one cylinder. I found this by cranking it for a short while then winding the choke open by hand and shinning a torch down the throats. One cylinder was flooding. I also disconnected the digi indicator so it was one of these two things but I haven't wired the digi up again to check.

There are a few different looms around depending on which year engine you have. I found this out because I had an '04 dash and an '06 main and they are slightly different, or at least mine where.

This took a while to find as you can imagine

[Edited on 21/2/09 by road warrior]

[Edited on 21/2/09 by road warrior]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RickRick

posted on 21/2/09 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
yer i figured that out, i've also tested the fuel reg now, and it's approx 3bar so more or less working fine. i can't see that it's a wiring problem as it's been running, but it'd be rude not to go check it out right now!
RickRick

posted on 21/2/09 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Nope! that's all good
Bob C

posted on 21/2/09 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
wild guess - when I first tried to start my carbed R1 it did the "cough but won't go" thing. In my case I had the coil LT wires back to front, so the wire for coil 2&3 was plugged into coil 1&4 (& vice versa) - could that have happened?
RickRick

posted on 21/2/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
nope agian that's another thing that i've checked, keep them coming guys someone's got to hit it soon there can't be that much left now!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.