Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie from manchester area
cooke80

posted on 22/2/09 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Newbie from manchester area

Hello, i'm looking at starting to build a haynes roadster in the next few months. (It'd be nice to have it ready for my birthday at the end of september, but that won't happen).

I'm currenty looking at lock ups to build the thing, which isn't cheap. But the only option.

I'd like to use a xj as the donor, but being more sensible a pinto engined sierra is more sensible. And should still give a 180bhp/tonne car when finished.
Its all being done on a strict budget with 1k being the aim, i'm more about the go rather than the show.

Speak to you all soon.

daniel mason

posted on 22/2/09 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
1k will be tough i would think but im no expert.good luck
blakep82

posted on 22/2/09 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
my budget started as £1k... now 5 times over that, i've given up on a budget
actually, i don't know how much i've actually spent. think its less than 5k.

good luck, and welcome

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Steve Hignett

posted on 22/2/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
I think a budget of £2500 is achievable and prob less if you want to take a long time searching for free parts, but do not understimate what it's going to cost you!

ATB

cooke80

posted on 22/2/09 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
1k is a bit tight. But as long as i don't get distracted by shiny things i should be ok.
cooke80

posted on 22/2/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Auto jumbles will be my friend for a while. :-D
pif

posted on 22/2/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
where abouts in manchester as some mates of mine are looking for a collective lock up in manchester area. they are a group of 4 with 8 cars for the unit. one of the 4 helped me loads with my car. if 4 become 5 they can widen the search.

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

blakep82

posted on 22/2/09 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
The other think i would say is, just watch you don't choose parts becuase they're cheap. the quality might not be up to much. in which case you end up buying the same parts again from a different supplier, better quality and more money. I spent ages doing this sadly

no i've taken an almost 'money is no object' attitude (within reason), and choosing my supplier for quality rather than price, my build is coming along nice and quick, and looking pretty good too, if i do say so myself

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cooke80

posted on 22/2/09 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Droylsden, clayton, ashton sort of area. G've found a two car garage/lock up in oldham thats got power. But its 35 quid a week, but i'd get that with a mate. Depending where in manchester, and everyone getting on, i'd be interested.
cooke80

posted on 22/2/09 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
I won't be buying cheap for cheaps sake, i'd rather pay once for the right item. Its like shoes, buy a good well made pair, and they will out last 2-3 cheaper ones. Its all about value for money.
RK

posted on 23/2/09 at 05:13 AM Reply With Quote
Ask if you want to be sure before you buy some part that looks like a deal. It will be useless if it isn't really going to go with your car. I've wasted lots buying things that are in fact, a total waste of money. Too much to say.
cooke80

posted on 23/2/09 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks. I'm sure i'll find plenty of things that look useful but simply aren't.

Just as an idea, could you use a road angel as a speedo, as long as you had another way of registering the mileage (seperate odometer)

Paul (Notts)

posted on 23/2/09 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
It will cost you the best part of 1K just to IVA , reg and isure it for road use!!!!

Paul

Paul TigerB6

posted on 23/2/09 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul (Notts)
It will cost you the best part of 1K just to IVA , reg and isure it for road use!!!!

Paul

Really think you ought to do LOTS of research on your build costs if you are on a strict budget. As Paul says above, just getting the built car on the road is going to cost £1000 ish. (IVA is anticipated to be £580, tax approx £180, registration £60 or so, insurance £120 - £250). Its the little bits that really add up - springs and shocks, electrics, propshaft etc.

cooke80

posted on 23/2/09 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Is there a definate cost for the iva yet?
Paul TigerB6

posted on 23/2/09 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cooke80
Is there a definate cost for the iva yet?

Not yet no. They havent even sorted out the IVA manual yet which is just typical for a government dept introducing a new scheme!! 2 months to go supposedly - although there are rumours it will be delayed.

Whats the odds on no new SVA's being allowed but IVA's not starting for a few months leaving no way to get tested??

cooke80

posted on 23/2/09 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds as well organised as the motor bike tests.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.