Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: transponder location
MK9R

posted on 24/2/09 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
transponder location

Is there a designated or preferred position?? I've got a 260DP, which i was intending to just fit to inside front panel of the passenger footwell. Does the transponder work if its signal has to pass through the metal floor or a chassis member?

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/2/09 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
nope, why not mount it in the back next to the fuel tank?

quote:

Tranx-260 transponder. This is THE transponder for motorsport races. There are two models, but we advise all drivers to use the DP-model (direct powered).This one can be mounted on a fixed position in the vehicle lower then 60 cm to the track and without any metal or carbon between the track and the transponder. With the DP no more charging of the transponder is needed. Just switch on your main switch and the transponder will always work.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
progers

posted on 24/2/09 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Austen,

Its normal to fit it somewhere around the front wheel line. Most I have seen have been fixed on an external panel with a clear view of the track (i.e. not going through ally floor panel). Not sure how well it will work having to pass through some metal.

The further forward the better - in a photo finish the deciding factor will be who's transponder crosses the line first....

- Paul

MK9R

posted on 24/2/09 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by progers
Hi Austen,

Its normal to fit it somewhere around the front wheel line. Most I have seen have been fixed on an external panel with a clear view of the track (i.e. not going through ally floor panel). Not sure how well it will work having to pass through some metal.

The further forward the better - in a photo finish the deciding factor will be who's transponder crosses the line first....

- Paul

cheers paul, its going on the outside next to the suspension mount then Can i mount it on a 20 foot pole out the front of my car How sthe build going, will you be ready for the 14th??

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Agriv8

posted on 24/2/09 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Am I missing somthing here ?

Surly it has to be as close to the front ot the car as pssible. So the loop ( in the track ) pick it up the Transponder as early as possible.

If 2 cars are in line going over the line and one has the transponder at the back and one the front who will get the better time ?

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

procomp

posted on 24/2/09 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

As you know Austen i mount all ours in line with the front axle line.

When you ask them directly they say that it will not matter where you mount it as all the data is calculated to know who crosses the line first from the first time you cross the line ( start) and the accumulative lap times.

But everyone mounts them toward the front. why take the chance.

Cheers Matt

PS did you know that they only use the transponders in certain circumstances and that most of the time it's all still done manually.

MK9R

posted on 24/2/09 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp

Cheers Matt

PS did you know that they only use the transponders in certain circumstances and that most of the time it's all still done manually.

so that was a waste of 200 quid!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

frodo_monkey

posted on 24/2/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Not really, you can't race without them! But hey, at least after the race you get a lap-by-lap analysis from MST or whoever is doing the timing

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."

MK9R

posted on 24/2/09 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frodo_monkey
Not really, you can't race without them! But hey, at least after the race you get a lap-by-lap analysis from MST or whoever is doing the timing

Its only peanuts compared to the rest of the money pit
Hey, i travelled 6.5 hours to go and view your car (before you bought it), but decided i'd convert my own. Are you entering any of the 750mc RGB races this year?

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

procomp

posted on 24/2/09 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

and if they ever did get that live dash up and running it would be fantastic.
Live times as you race current pole time during qualifying etc etc. Sadly no sine of it happening.

Cheers Matt

progers

posted on 24/2/09 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
How sthe build going, will you be ready for the 14th??

Unfortunately I won't be ready in time for Snett, although I will be there to watch and cheer you on :-)

- Paul

frodo_monkey

posted on 24/2/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
Its only peanuts compared to the rest of the money pit
Hey, i travelled 6.5 hours to go and view your car (before you bought it), but decided i'd convert my own. Are you entering any of the 750mc RGB races this year?

Thats racing mate! I read a few of your posts on the car when I bought it - although I only work 20mins away so it was a little easier to go see it.

The car is going pretty well, I've done about six races in it now including the Birkett 6-Hour Relay as part of the RAFMSA squad - I randomly met Peter (who sold me the car) down there as well, he unfortunately put his Radical CS backwards into the wall at Copse c. 120mph... Won't be polishing that one out

I mainly do RAFMSA events (normally run alongside the CSCC race series) but I wouldn't rule out a stunt appearance in RGB; depends if you come to Croft (I live 10 mins away). Unfortunately getting married this year so funds are limited.

The car was pretty cheap at £4k, I have spent the whole bl**dy winter putting it back together properly and giving it a damn good service/clean though

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."

mikeg15

posted on 25/2/09 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
Is there a designated or preferred position?? I've got a 260DP, which i was intending to just fit to inside front panel of the passenger footwell. Does the transponder work if its signal has to pass through the metal floor or a chassis member?

They seem to work OK just about anywhere on the car. I've mounted mine behind dash panel where it is well away from the accident. The Crossle company mount them on the roll bar just behind driver.
AMB owners can register here
http://mylaps.com/search/advancedSearchResults.jsp
so you get a full results report on lap and race times

MK9R

posted on 25/2/09 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frodo_monkey

The car was pretty cheap at £4k, I have spent the whole bl**dy winter putting it back together properly and giving it a damn good service/clean though

Yeah good price, if I hadn't already got my car I would have bought it and got it up to scratch, but I reckoned it would cost about the same and taken just as long as getting my car prepped, hence why I've kept my car

Good luck this year, unfortunetly rgb not at croft, probably cadwell or snetts is your closest

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.