Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what rear suspension setup???
Z20let Corsa

posted on 24/2/09 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
what rear suspension setup???

i was going to do a fully independant rear suspension setup on my locost but my brother seems to think that the de dion setup will get the power down better and make it handle better because the wheels will be flat on the ground at all times. what are peoples opinions??? Im using a sierra LSD off a xr4 with disks. thanks.
nick205

posted on 24/2/09 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Which way's the wind blowing...?

In an ideal world with flat, smooth road surfaces (or a track) then a well designed De Dion set-up has the potential to offer better handling.

In real world UK road driving a well designed IRS set-up should give a better ride and road holding.

From what I've seen/read it appears that it might be easier to design a good De Dion set-up than IRS - that's my take on it.

mookaloid

posted on 24/2/09 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
From discussions/observations at hill climbs, I reckon that a live axle (or a de dion) will put the power down better off the line, however as the car experiences body roll through corners (and subsequent geometry changes), the independant set up potentially offers more options if there is enough adjustability and the design is good to start with.

As with most things, whichever way you go it will be a compromise

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Cobra289

posted on 24/2/09 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
If the DeDion setup was better suspension the F1 boys will use it.
They have the best flat tracks of the world too.

Watch out for the TRUST LINE on a DeDion. The car will always go in that direction!. [Shake it! baby]

But for a normal use, it is a solution.

Regards,
Cobra289

James

posted on 25/2/09 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
Suspension questions are no fun any more since Rorty/Syd left!!!

Whichever you use, Z20let Corsa, it'll be great. I've never heard anyone say: I've built a De Dion/IRS/Live Axle Locost and it handles crap!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Ivan

posted on 25/2/09 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra289

Watch out for the TRUST LINE on a DeDion. The car will always go in that direction!. [Shake it! baby]

Cobra289

What is the "TRUST LINE" - have never seen this term before.

Cobra289

posted on 25/2/09 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
quote:

Cobra289

What is the "TRUST LINE" - have never seen this term before.

TRUST-LINE is a line that is perpendicular to the imaginary rear axle shaft and departs exactly from the center of the axle.

It is very often overlooked item during alignment and in some suspensions very difficult to set and others impossible.

If the trust line has an angle, your car will drive like a "dog runs"
It doesn't matter what you try to correct with the front wheels, the problem will be the same, and once it will put you 1 meter side wise.

Regards,
Cobra289

[Edited on 25/2/09 by Cobra289]

MikeCapon

posted on 25/2/09 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
I think you guys are talking about the THRUST line. The imamaginary line along which the rear wheels "push" (or thrust) the car forwards.

Not difficult to imagine the result if this line is well off centre.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Cobra289

posted on 25/2/09 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
I think you guys are talking about the THRUST line. The imamaginary line along which the rear wheels "push" (or thrust) the car forwards.

Not difficult to imagine the result if this line is well off centre.

Sorry for my bad English.!

Regards,
Cobra289

Chippy

posted on 25/2/09 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I dont think that for normal road, and the occasional track day, that you can beat IRS. De dion is fine if the road is flat, but for normal, (read bumpy), english roads a well set up IRS can't be beaten. Just my oppinion. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Phil.J

posted on 25/2/09 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
IRS everytime given the choice. Much lighter and infinitely more tunable.
MikeR

posted on 25/2/09 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
MUCH lighter????

Interesting statement.

How do you figure that?

For de-dion you've got the bar running left to right which increases your unsprung weight - but you haven't got all the associated boxing of the back of the car to hold the trailing arms.

I won't argue it may be lighter - and i won't argue it may be heavier. But MUCH lighter seems a contentious statement to me.

If someone can weight an original MK IRS and Live axle chassis then add on the IRS or my (previous) de-dion weights we'll have some interesting facts.

(note i'm not suggesting comparing a standard MK chassis as its different to the book - perhaps the good comparison would be a Aries / Stuart Taylor race vs road chassis)

Also infinitely more tunable also equals infinitely harder to set up and much more likely to muck up.

[Edited on 25/2/09 by MikeR]

SPYDER

posted on 25/2/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

For de-dion you've got the bar running left to right which increases your unsprung weight - but you haven't got all the associated boxing of the back of the car to hold the trailing arms....

You still need trailing arms to locate the De Dion tube?? And a Panhard rod or similar for sideways location. And there still needs to be something central in which to mount the diff.Or am I missing something?
Geoff

Chippy

posted on 25/2/09 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I would say that the de-dion is definately heavier than the IRS system. You have almost the same set up as for IRS, (in the way of tubing), plus that bloody great steel tube that holds the wheels on. Just my opinion. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

MikeR

posted on 25/2/09 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
You need to put a box around the diff. This should be braced to take the forces of the IRS suspension - its got to mount somewhere. This isn't present on de-dion.

You need 10 tubes to make up the rear suspension on IRS, only 4 on de-dion + panhard. I'd guess that the total of the 10 tubes would be a smidgen greater than the 4 + panhard on de-dion.

So its down to does the de-dion tube weigh more or less than the bracketing for the IRS suspension mounts. Hence my comment about it not being MUCH lighter - just perhaps a little BUT far easier to set up the geometry.

Cobra289

posted on 25/2/09 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guy's,
It doesn't matter witch one is heavier, this just a advertising item.
The important thing is that you get a good handling and that you choose the axle that suit your needs.

Suppose that it is 5 Kg heavier what happens when the driver is 20 Kg lighter than you????

So this kind of discussion about the weight is not relevant.

Take as an example the McPherson suspension, every one that goes into the design get into troubles and a lot of problems to verify all the theories and methods of suspension design, but well this type [McPherson] is a well proved suspension that no ones can clarify why?

Regards,
Cobra289

SPYDER

posted on 26/2/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

So this kind of discussion about the weight is not relevant...

If Colin Chapman were alive today he'd be turning in his grave!!

The consideration of weight, in particularly unsprung, is surely of primary consideration.
I was always led to believe that a live axle setup was the lightest, although I have never seen any figures. It does, however, also have the greatest unsprung weight.
I dare say the difference in lap times between the various setups may be minimal, but the difference in ride quality on the road may be more noticeable.
A lightweight De Dion setup, with ally cross tube and arms or a billet CNC cross member may be the best compromise.
Not exactly "locost" though.
"Locost" option has to be live axle.

But as Mike R said "Also infinitely more tunable also equals infinitely harder to set up and much more likely to muck up."

Unless you are thinking about weight ALL the time it would be easy to compromise a little bit here, a little bit there, then suddenly it adds up to 30 kilos.
Conversely, saving the EXTRA litle bit here and there will add up too.

Geoff.

[Edited on 26/2/09 by SPYDER]

Cobra289

posted on 27/2/09 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
quote:

So this kind of discussion about the weight is not relevant...

If Colin Chapman were alive today he'd be turning in his grave!!

The consideration of weight, in particularly unsprung, is surely of primary consideration.
I was always led to believe that a live axle setup was the lightest, although I have never seen any figures. It does, however, also have the greatest unsprung weight.
I dare say the difference in lap times between the various setups may be minimal, but the difference in ride quality on the road may be more noticeable.
A lightweight De Dion setup, with ally cross tube and arms or a billet CNC cross member may be the best compromise.
Not exactly "locost" though.
"Locost" option has to be live axle.

But as Mike R said "Also infinitely more tunable also equals infinitely harder to set up and much more likely to muck up."

Unless you are thinking about weight ALL the time it would be easy to compromise a little bit here, a little bit there, then suddenly it adds up to 30 kilos.
Conversely, saving the EXTRA litle bit here and there will add up too.

Geoff.

[Edited on 26/2/09 by SPYDER]

Hi Geoff,
My comments where placed in the context of the person that did start the thread.
As you can see he plan or is all ready building a Locost V8.
The unsprung weight is very important and there are more components that need to be check to reduce that weight.
- Steel wheels are lighter than normal aluminum ones.
- There are lighter [small] tires on the market.
- Calipers
etc.
But with a V8 you have some restrictions in this area.

Anyway I prefer the Independent Rear Suspension but I can accept a "Well fabricated DeDion"
The big problem that I find of a DeDion is the good fabrication and design.

Regards,
Cobra289

RK

posted on 27/2/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Let's say you're car is 40 kgs heavier due to engine, suspension or you're carrying a lot of doughnuts. That represents about 10 BHP more that you'll need to push it around. Big bloody deal. Don't eat so many chips that week if that is the concern.

[Edited on 27/2/09 by RK]

SPYDER

posted on 27/2/09 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
Let's say you're car is 40 kgs heavier due to engine, suspension or you're carrying a lot of doughnuts. That represents about 10 BHP more that you'll need to push it around. Big bloody deal. Don't eat so many chips that week if that is the concern.

[Edited on 27/2/09 by RK]

Thankyou for your helpfull post. An additional boost in horsepower might help with getting back the loss in acceleration but what about braking and cornering with the extra 40 kilos on board?
Should we fit wider tyres and bigger brakes, maybe?
The whole essence of the "seven" type sportscar revolves around its nimbleness and responsiveness, both directly affected by weight. The fairly recent move towards Bike engines within some areas of the community typifies this.
If you were in the market for a locost chassis and there were two available, identical other than one being 40 kilos more than the other, which would any sane person choose?
Don't be fanatical about weight but do keep it under consideration at all times.
As for doughnuts, try Tescos car park on a Friday night.
All IMHO.
Pass the chips...

Geoff.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.