Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sva emmissions problem
dan__wright

posted on 26/2/09 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
sva emmissions problem

Hi,

i had me retest last week and everything was fine apart from my emissions.

engine is a 07 zx10 with PC3USB

idle was perfect but fast idle i could not get the balance between CO & Lambda

No CO but lambda of around 1.1
lambda below 1.05 ish (1.03 limit) and the co starts to rise (a few %)

the engine had originally been very very very bad on emissions but now has a suitable map that's a lot better.

we spent about 10 Min's adjusting the mixture but just couldn't get the balance.

i have heard that if it was running that rich etc it could have contaminated the oil and i knew the plugs probably wernt in the best state.

i gave it a oil / filter / plug change yesterday and it now sounds totally different - has the whoosh noise you get with bike engines which it didn't have before and sounds quite a bit quieter and revs smoother.

the oil smelt very strongly too (oil has only done about 250 miles)

do you think that could have a negative effect on emissions?

also, would a slight leak in the exhaust case the results i am seeing? i have a joint that's not great, its gone off today to be tig'd so hopefully it should sort that leak.

my re-retest is on the 3rd and im trying to get it sorted asap - i will need to take it somewhere to check emissions in the next few days)

any other useful hints / tips to get it though? its running on bp ultimate at the mo.

Thanks.

omega0684

posted on 26/2/09 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
can you not close the idle valve screws down so it runs leaner at the test and then turn them back up again after to suit your map?

[Edited on 26/2/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 26/2/09 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
If you lean it out to much the Hc will go up.

If you have fuel in the oil that will make a big difference to the emissions. Nice new stuff should improve things.
Steve

dan__wright

posted on 26/2/09 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
can you not close the idle valve screws down so it runs leaner at the test and then turn them back up again after to suit your map?

[Edited on 26/2/09 by omega0684]

i dont quite get what you mean?

i could get it lean but then i would get hi co.
Thanks

dan__wright

posted on 26/2/09 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevec
If you lean it out to much the Hc will go up.

If you have fuel in the oil that will make a big difference to the emissions. Nice new stuff should improve things.
Steve

yeah i knew the balance of it but as soon as i got 1 i would loose the other.

i had a feeling the oil would be a big factor, here's hoping!

wilkingj

posted on 26/2/09 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Change the oil again and use good quality oil.

My old fiesta failed on emissions (only just failed)
Man said, go home, oil, air filter change and some decent oil, and bring it back.
managed throught the emissions with a decent pass.

So there is value in changing the oil and filters if its a borderline fail. Unless they are all new as well.

Wasnt there a thread on here about using Tropical fish airline clamps to fine tune the air for emissions?...

Maybe worth a search on here. I know I have seen it, but didnt take much notice as mines a V8 and not a BEC.

Good Luck..

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dan__wright

posted on 26/2/09 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Change the oil again and use good quality oil.

My old fiesta failed on emissions (only just failed)
Man said, go home, oil, air filter change and some decent oil, and bring it back.
managed throught the emissions with a decent pass.

So there is value in changing the oil and filters if its a borderline fail. Unless they are all new as well.

Wasnt there a thread on here about using Tropical fish airline clamps to fine tune the air for emissions?...

Maybe worth a search on here. I know I have seen it, but didnt take much notice as mines a V8 and not a BEC.

Good Luck..

change it again? getting expensive now! will go with castrol too. should i change filter too? is it worth putting a flush in?

[Edited on 26/2/09 by dan__wright]

oldtimer

posted on 26/2/09 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Had me there, I was wondering what horrible things airlines were doing to fish when in flight!
adithorp

posted on 26/2/09 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Lambda1 and above is either too weak or an air leak. Check you haven't got any (even the slightest) leaks on the exhaust joints. Seal them with clear silcone.

If your above lambda 1 and the CO is too high then its high because either the cat' isn't big enough or not hot enough. It can take 20min or more reving the socks off it to get the cat to "light up". Once it hits temp then the CO falls instantly. Its not progressive; they are either working or not. When working the cat will bring the CO from as much as 3% down to zero. With Lambda1 your pre-cat' CO will be less than 1% so after should be zero.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MakeEverything

posted on 26/2/09 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Flushing oil works well if left on tickover for 15 minutes, but do it with a new filter. If you can afford it, though oil filters are only a few quid, change the filter every time you take the oil out. Its the filter that has all the poo in it, in theory.

change it again? getting expensive now! will go with castrol too. should i change filter too? is it worth putting a flush in?

[Edited on 26/2/09 by dan__wright]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

belgian2b

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,
i have the same problem with a 2001 ZX12r Engine.
I finally decided to change ECU and add a lambda sensor.
New ECU will be driven by the Lambda sensor in the range we will define ( in this case 0.97 to 1.03).
After test, another mapp will be made for trackdays and another one for road use.

Gerardo

dan__wright

posted on 26/2/09 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the info, setting it up tomorrow so hopefully it will all be okay.

what ecu are you using to do that? im guessing something after market?

jamrogers

posted on 27/2/09 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
i just passed using a megasquirt ecu and a wideband lambda sensor and controller which is more accurate than a narrowband one. also do u have a cat converter? can't see one in ur avitar.. that will sort it out it worked for me, my co after i fitted it went down to 0.0%..... jamie

build diary http://jamstigeravon.blogspot.com/
YouTube
https://youtu.be/JwwwilUd5Zo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.