Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: engine change
willgal

posted on 26/2/09 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
engine change

Hi Everyone
I,ve Decided what the hell i,m changing my 919 fireblade for a haya busa engine, what kind of difference should i expect, massive difference on the track or only a little, any comments

PAUL FISHER

posted on 26/2/09 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
You would expect to be around 2 or 3 seconds a lap quicker with a busa fitted over a blade on most circuits.
willgal

posted on 26/2/09 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
sounds ok
I have been a passenger in one but its hard to tell the difference, i thought it would be like chalk and cheese. i hope its worth it:

aka Keith

posted on 26/2/09 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Paul, outside a racing situation, is 3 seconds a lap a big diff.

We met at Bruntingthorpe last year, when I took my MK to the track for the fisrt time. Forgetting track times for a minute, is the difference between the two set-ups on the road, that much of a diff. (or is it more in the mind).

I have had my car for nearly a year now, and I am already thinking, how can I get more power etc etc, but is it a case that is very much the law of diminishing returns for inceases in power, from the butometer in the driving seat - one you get used to the overall driving experience of a BEC?

mark chandler

posted on 26/2/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Slam a turbo on your blade engine to get the same power, if it goes bang its a £400 engine you swap out, not a 2.5k busa lump with possible damage to the dry sump kit etc if it lets go
Hellfire

posted on 26/2/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
The most noticeable difference is when you're driving two up, the power doesn't drop off quite so much. On a quarter mile sprint, one up, there's probably only about a second difference in the times.

The Busa will have more bottom end power and slightly more mid range than the Blade, hence the 2 or 3 seconds per lap as Paul mentions.

IMO, for the additional power you'll get, the cost of fitting a Busa engine isn't worth it. (Unless you intend sticking a turbo on the Busa some time in the future) There are however a few other engines available with similar power to the Busa for considerably less money.

Have a look at the later GSXR's, ZX10R or ZX12R

Phil

PAUL FISHER

posted on 27/2/09 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aka Keith
Paul, outside a racing situation, is 3 seconds a lap a big diff.

We met at Bruntingthorpe last year, when I took my MK to the track for the fisrt time. Forgetting track times for a minute, is the difference between the two set-ups on the road, that much of a diff. (or is it more in the mind).

I have had my car for nearly a year now, and I am already thinking, how can I get more power etc etc, but is it a case that is very much the law of diminishing returns for inceases in power, from the butometer in the driving seat - one you get used to the overall driving experience of a BEC?

I think Craig you have to think long and hard about spending a big wedge on a busa upgrade,yes it will be faster in a straight line than your zx9 or a blade,if its just mainly for the road,then why bother,when floored,any BEC is already far too fast for the public road,most will hit the national speed limit in 1st,how quick do we need to go,so you have got to ask,so would it be worth it for the track?,if we are honest,most of us can only drive our cars at best 90% of what they are capable of anyway,thats why I always look at the RGB lap times for a comparison,to give me a idea how fast or slow I am,as most these guys can drive,and can get 100% out of there cars,so if our lap times are very near there times,then there's a good chance we would benefit from a more powerfull engine on track,if not then look at car set up first, driving instruction,and additional trackdays to practice and improve our driver skills.
A good driver in a blade will always beat a mediocre one in a busa.

aka Keith

posted on 27/2/09 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Paul, thanks for the reply. I have already got my eyes on working on the suspension, set up etc, but as you know upgradeitis is very easy to catch.
cheers
Craig

dean100yz

posted on 13/3/09 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Slam a turbo on your blade engine to get the same power, if it goes bang its a £400 engine you swap out, not a 2.5k busa lump with possible damage to the dry sump kit etc if it lets go

Im doing the same thing as I write this. Blade lumps are dirt cheap. Bus engine is big money

A small low boost turbo is my thinking and if I do pop the engine there wee to work on or just replace. Im running a 918 blade. Will prob get another 30bhp with a turbo but more important a good spread and more torque

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.