Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: trouble downloading torrents
john_p_b

posted on 3/3/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
trouble downloading torrents

been trying to download a couple of things via utorrent and i'm having zero luck, the download speed at best gets up to 0.2kbs.

is it an AOL thing? haven't downloaded anything really for ages now as it's not really worth the agro but i did notice when i moved from my folks house they were on NTL and i could download on things like limewire (shows how long ago that was then!) but i move over here and we're on AOL and it wouldn't work on limewire and when i've tried with torrents it still doesn't work!

any ideas or am i just being shafted due to pathetic service provider!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

speedyxjs

posted on 3/3/09 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Mines just as slow on tiscali

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

omega0684

posted on 3/3/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
depends how many people are using it at the time in your swarm and how much of the band width is being used, i use Azureus and i get varying speeds, depending on what time of day it is and how many seeds and peers are active on the torrent. i get best speeds at the early hours of the morning, a maximum usually of around 550 kbps but when its slow during the day it can be as little as 3-4 kbps

[Edited on 3/3/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 3/3/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
pretty sure AOL throttle torrent traffic, you might have to enable packet encryption

what about other browsing, is youtube ok?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

UncleFista

posted on 3/3/09 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
It depends on how many are seeding and how many leeching.

I've almost given up on public torrents, private (sign up) sites are the best. Members need to keep a decent upload/download ratio so your download is much faster.

I have 5 invites for the "IP Torrents" site if anyone is interested ? U2U me for one, first come first served etc..

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Hellfire

posted on 3/3/09 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Is it the same at all hours of the day and night?

AOL do throttle P2P networks...

I use a paid service - Rapidshare.com as it is always reliable and downloads are more user friendly but they are uploaded in 100Mb file size chucks.

Steve

wrigglypig

posted on 3/3/09 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Im with virgin and use bitlord and use torrentbox for searching never any problem, it does depend on seeders and leechers though

BenB

posted on 3/3/09 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Virgin whoop ass on torrents. Hence legal stuff like BBC iplayer and 4OD get knackered too. Which is a shame cos I like to rip their "unbreakable" DRM to watch the programs on my Ipod at work

Happy days!!!

Ninehigh

posted on 4/3/09 at 04:35 AM Reply With Quote
Seeders: people who have the file. More seeders=more speed. Beware they have to be online too, I've seen torrents with 400 seeds and got nothing as they weren't online

Leechers: People who aren't sharing the file, don't know if this affects anything really though...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.