Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How do they test speedo?
shaun fulcrum

posted on 10/3/09 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
How do they test speedo?

Might sound silly but I have fitted my secsor in the front wheel so obviously not a driven wheel. Do they have powered rollers?

I'm going to Norwich SVA centre if it makes a difference.

Thanks, Shaun

Stuart_B

posted on 10/3/09 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
hi, i think he has to use the engine power to trun the wheels to read the speedo, at my test station he used the engine to trun the wheels to cheek the speedo. so as the front wheels are not driven, i think he would be able to test it. so i would put it some at the back wheels some how, not clued up about speedo, i just used the type9 gearbox and speedo cable.

hth

thanks

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

IDONTBELEIVEIT

posted on 10/3/09 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
places back wheels on rollers and runs it up like a dyno
cheers wayno!!

Are We There Yet, Are We There Yet!!!!

smac

posted on 10/3/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
This was one of my fail items last week. Its ok to have it off the front wheels if you can proove its accurate. His suggestion involved using a GPS and testing at 30 50 & 70 and getting someone to measure the accuracy, document it and sign it. I didnt enquire who this 3rd party had to be as it seemed easier to just move the pick up to the rear.
shaun fulcrum

posted on 10/3/09 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for the replies, think ill move it too the rear then move it back after
thanks, shaun

austin man

posted on 10/3/09 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
run the sensor off the diff ? driveshafts if the magnet is on a wheel you have a problem if you get a puncture. We roughly calibrated an electronic speedo working from the revs in top gear. Find someone who has a simmilar engine to yours ask what their rev counter reads at say 40mph and 50 mph jack the back end up run the car up through the gears into top check your speedo readings at the specified revs then calibrate your speedo to match the speed you have been given. we then tested this out between the speed signs which give a digital read out to road users

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

FEZ1025

posted on 10/3/09 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
My firs buggy ad the magnet on the front wheel, at the test he just passed it said he had seen it working around the car park & couldn't test the calibration. If it's a cable gearbox just buy one of these http://rallynuts.com/motorsport/TERRATRIP_Tripmeters_1847/Terratrip_Speedo_Cable_Probe_1973.asp far better than messing about with magnets.

Alan...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.