Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: have I buggered my chassis so early on?
paul the 6th

posted on 11/3/09 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
have I buggered my chassis so early on?

I came across a thread on the Haynes Roadster forums with a guy advertising his chassis for sale. Another user pointed out that one of the uprights on the drivers side footwell was in the wrong place. Another user posted this pic highlighting the upright in question, and also showed the correct location for it... see image here:

Mine:

I'm not at home, and I've not got the book to hand but I'm certain I've done everything to the book (unless I've missed an ammendment or something?).

I was a bit worried that the footwell was going to be a bit tight!

Any helps to confirm my fears or put me at ease will be GREATLY appreciated. Thank yew

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
tomprescott

posted on 11/3/09 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
That looks a lot tighter than mine does, your transmission tunnel looks wider than mine too, if you're worried just cut it out and put an upright where you want it.
paul the 6th

posted on 11/3/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
aye... looks like one or two other people have done it in the past and I might have to break the news to a mate of mine round the corner who has just about finished his chassis (fully welded)... whoopsy

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
wilkingj

posted on 11/3/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Has the guy on the Haynes Forum, only got one leg, and he has an Automatic gearbox as well?

I agree with Tomprescott. Check with Chrisg, cut out and replace if necessary.
Just take care cutting the old bit out. ie make it neat, and sacrifice the vertical bit, not the rest of the chassis.

I dont think its a major problem at this stage of the build.

Better to ask now, than when its all built and you find you cant get your clodhoppers into the footwell

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/3/09 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
that will be why your feet looked like bigfoots Rescued attachment 0001feet.JPG
Rescued attachment 0001feet.JPG

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paul the 6th

posted on 11/3/09 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
"I put some new shoes on and suddenly everything is right"... paulo nuttini musn't have been building a rocking horse.

Cheers guys, will have a bash at fixing this later tonight. Just can't get my head around how I managed to put it in the wrong place - I always measure everything several times to make sure.... buggery

--------

hellbent345

posted on 11/3/09 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
some things on the roadster are hard to figure out where they go and what the measurements are, i found when i was drawing it up that a lot of the measurments were confusing and i had to assume measurements etc (haynes design was what i modified)
anyway what engine and gearbox combo are you using? mt75 needs more space so if you are using that gearbox it may be that upright needs to be that far outboard anyway!

jabs

posted on 11/3/09 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
If built to the book for a type 9 gearbox then the first picture is right. if you have built for a MT75 then the upright is further over to the left (as viewed from the front) and nearly aligns with the lower front member

[Edited on 11/3/09 by jabs]

paul the 6th

posted on 11/3/09 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
type9 and cvh here fella's... shouldn't be too much of a bitch to sort out but hey ho. Just glad it's not much further on in the build (like another builder on the roadster forums who only realised he'd done the same thing when he was putting the steering column plate in)

Thanks for the tips/support/big foot comments

--------

wrigglypig

posted on 11/3/09 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
I shall be round with the bolt croppers,thermal lance and angry grinder,

paul the 6th

posted on 11/3/09 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I should have checked this thread before u2u'ing you kev lol...

have you made the same mistake? Couldn't work out from your pics

--------

Daddylonglegs

posted on 11/3/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
For some reason I can only see the first picture, not the second??

Looks quite a wide tunnel compared to mine though (in the first picture) and I'm using a type 9 too.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.