Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Passed bike test
COREdevelopments

posted on 11/3/09 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Passed bike test

Hi all, i decided to do my DAS and passed a couple of weeks ago. I have been looking at buying a vfr 400 or cbr 400.
first choice would be vfr but cant find one close enough or cheap enough. however i have found a cheap cbr400 nc23 in a tidy condition for about 800quid. is there any issues with these nc23's. would prefer a nc29 but they fetch a bit more money.
and no i dont want a 600, i am nervous enough about jumping on a 400 as it is.
also is there any riders out there with good stories of riding bikes because all i seem to get is horror stories of what can happen which is worrying. but really would love to get on a bike soon.

Rob

blakep82

posted on 11/3/09 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
i know its not what you're asking, so sorry but how much did it end up costing for your license?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

COREdevelopments

posted on 11/3/09 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
about 450:
theory test was 30
Das inc cbt and test was 415

its going up soon because of new test. meant t be end of march but think there is another extension untill end of aprill, but may be wrong.
hope this helps
rob

Dangle_kt

posted on 11/3/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
nc23 is a very good bike. I commuted on one for two years.

Very easy to remove the restrictors too on the air box if your limited to 33bhp.

nc29 is even more cramped, they look a bit better in some peoples opinion but the nc23 is the preference of racers over the nc29.

riding a bike is AWESOME! Just enjoy, go steady in the damp - but the nc23 is the perfect bike to learn your craft on, not too fast unless reved hard, handles well - but demands you keep the corner speed up to keep up with 600's.

I have ran rings round much bigger bikes on the race track in the corners.

The best bit about the nc23 (also known as a tri-arm btw) is that once your used to it, and your giving it berries you feel like you are riding it on the limit - which is satisfying. Loads of faster bikes always feel either unsafe to ride as quick as they can, or you never get anywhere near their limits and you feel a bit crap after a blast out on one.

check out http://www.400greybike.info/newforum/index.php for more info.

Graham France is your man if you want any parts or to get the suspension sorted. He is a legend in the cbr400rr world.

Have fun - it will feel silly fast at first, but really is a cracking bike.

coozer

posted on 11/3/09 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
I past my test on a 125, rode round on a couple 350Lc's then up onto a Z1000.

My youth was a happy one at full throttle all over the lakes and western Scotland. Happy days indeed.

Twin headlight CBR400 is a great looking bike and very reliable. Good choice, bit more racer than the more sitty up VFR.

Just get out there, take your time and enjoy it.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

COREdevelopments

posted on 11/3/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Wow that was a great reply. was actually making me grin just reading it. agreed, i have sat on an nc29 and an nc23. the nc23 does feel a bit bigger. the bike i have seen is ready to go and in good condition for the price. it just needs a set of graphics to finish it off. was thinking of doing a pass plus course but its more cost again.
thanks
rob

rf900rush

posted on 11/3/09 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Had a NC29 for commuting for the last 5 years

Great bike.

Best for shorties like myself.

Just watch out for idiots on the road, you'll see loads.
Most pull out from side roads, might even have a van reverse into you at times.

Like this.

Fortunately didn't fall off or get too badly hurt.

Cat C Looking to Sell it soon.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
COREdevelopments

posted on 11/3/09 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
ouch, you must be gutted. tbh that is what puts me off the most. im a sensible car driver so there is not really a worry about me going like a nutter. its the other road users im worried about. i seen a few idiots when i was doing my das. even a cyclist who overtook me in slow traffic and cut me up!!!
Taking the bike test does in fact make you more aware of the road IMHO.

Rob

mads

posted on 11/3/09 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Congrats on passing your bike test!!

I cant make any recommendations on the two bikes you're asking about but I would highly recommend doing one of the advanced training courses. They will help a lot in keeping you safe on the road when on 2 wheels and also reduce your insurance. They are usually taught by ex police motorbike officers so you will learn a lot from their experience.

Lets hope the weather improves and you have loads of sunshine this summer to lap up the miles with a grin on your face!

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

Steve Hignett

posted on 11/3/09 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
I won't bother scaring you with horror stories. But don't ever ride your bike for a single second thinking that people have seen you. Assume they haven't and assume they want to kill you on roundabouts etc.

This is Definitely NOT meant to scare you. Once you've been on the road a few months you will soon see what I mean.

Always ride your bike in your own skill levels, never give a stuff about people riding faster than you, never give a stuff about idiots in Saxo's trying to race you , they have a big box to protect them if it all goes Pete Tong.

Always enjoy riding your bike. The first few months I spent riding my bike (first bike was a GSXR600R) were the best ever.

Book yourself on a trackday, it's the best ever place to learn and rag the crap out of your bike...

All the best, ride safe...

Steve

mark chandler

posted on 11/3/09 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
After I passed my test I got myself a NC24 VFR400, it was fantastic.

Huge grin factor, went like stink and you could climb all over it in the twisty bits, a great bike, worth hanging on for one, not really much slower then my mates R6 except on long straights.

Interesting point on these VRF400's they were very very expensive when new, more that most equivalent 900's at the time.

Regards Mark

Johneturbo

posted on 11/3/09 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yep congrats on passing. my only regret was not doing it sooner. passed about 3 1/2 years ago.
my first bike is still my current bike zx6r and have kept it the right way up (touch wood)

enjoy it, but ride defensively

Simon

posted on 12/3/09 at 02:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by COREdevelopments
.......so there is not really a worry about me going like a nutter.Rob

That will remain true all the time you drive a car. Get a bike that's quicker than most tin boxes, and you'll soon find that you'll be riding very quickly indeed. As has been said, don't try and keep up with anyone else; they'll be experienced/stupid/old and you're just starting out.

Do BMF Blue Riband first (if still available) then RoSPA/IAM advanced tests.

Then you can learn to ride a) properly, b)safely, c) quickly (you get marked down for not "making progress"

Congrats, btw

ATB

Simon

Mellow Matt

posted on 12/3/09 at 05:21 AM Reply With Quote
Congrats on passing, great feeling

I can't offer any advice on the Hondas, but I've heard they're great little bikes.

I've been riding a couple of years now, so can't claim to be vastly knowledgeable but I'd repeat what's been said before - assume no-one's seen you, especially when they're pulling out of junctions. Also, if you see something you don't want to crash into, don't look at it, 'cos you'll crash into it Look where you want to go (you've probably been told all this before, but it's true!).

Other than saying that I'll say biking is awesome, and you're going to have loads of fun! Everything's fun on a bike, the acceleration, riding the twisties, the community, even traffic is fun on a bike

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/3/09 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
I'm still very happy with my little CBR125 probably cos I'm quite short so it fits me well and it power is ‘fast enough…’. I never realized how much fun biking was till I got one and I’ve been desperate for a nice summer this year really get some proper use out it.

The only downside so far, is Missy buying me fluffy ears and a tail for my new helmet which I have to wear to avoid offending her

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 12/3/09 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Steve's right - TRACK DAY! Its the best way of enjoying your bike.
donny

posted on 12/3/09 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Rob,
well done on the test. When I passed mine a lad up the street sold me his FZR400RR EXUP. I drove it home then was too scared to touch it all weekend! However I found it an excellent handling bike very well balanced and superb brakes.
These things only go as fast as you make them and with a performance bike I found that there was more at hand to help when you got a bit unstuck - like good brakes.
I enjoyed my 400 immensely but can only echo what others say - don't assume people can see you. I got cleaned by a white van man coming out of a junction, 'sorry mate didn't see you'. I was ok but the bike was a mess.
Not biking at the minute as I have responsibilities - married with two kiddies - but am sorely tempted with a ZX6. I've had a 600 before and there is really not much difference. The 400 is lighter so maybe handles easier but with the 600 you don't have to stop every 40 miles or so for a wee. It red lined at 14,500 rpm!

Have fun and watch out for the numpties.

Cheers,
Don.

idl1975

posted on 12/3/09 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Well done on the DAS!

CBR400s are a very good choice. Although they don't have the gear-driven cam setup of the V4 bikes, they're as bulletproof as the big 'blade motors, and a hell of a lot easier to work on (ever seen what's behind the fairings on an NC30 or 35? Fear, that's what! Fear and lots and lots of metal bits...).

It's good that you're fairly mature and sensible. Cars are good at taking energy out of their chassis (faster from braking point to apex), bikes at adding it (faster out of corners and everywhere else). Massive power to weight ratio and not being familiar with what the chassis can and can't do therefore causes people to get into trouble. The lower power-to-weight ratio and revvy nature of the 400 will help you stay out of trouble.

I would recommend you think about the NC29 rather than the 23 simply because of tyre sizes. You'll find it a lot easier to find a selection of modern rubber to fit the 17" rear wheel on the later bikes than the 18" rear on the 23. Tyres make an absolutely huge difference. Over the last ten years, they've made sportsbikes dramatically easier and safer to ride - you can now get cheap sports-touring rubber that will shrug off icy roads and track day hooning with equal ease. Back in the day, you had to choice between falling on your arse when the tyres were cold or falling on your arse when you leant over too much! This winter I took the bike 40 miles to work every day (barring snowstorms), and didn't have one scary moment.

Assuming you're invisible is good advice, but I bet your DAS instructor drummed that into you!

Would definitely encourage you to try a trackday. They can be dearer, but tend to be much friendlier than car ones - less of the "mine is bigger than yours" attitude going on.

quote:
Originally posted by COREdevelopments
Hi all, i decided to do my DAS and passed a couple of weeks ago. I have been looking at buying a vfr 400 or cbr 400.
first choice would be vfr but cant find one close enough or cheap enough. however i have found a cheap cbr400 nc23 in a tidy condition for about 800quid. is there any issues with these nc23's. would prefer a nc29 but they fetch a bit more money.
and no i dont want a 600, i am nervous enough about jumping on a 400 as it is.
also is there any riders out there with good stories of riding bikes because all i seem to get is horror stories of what can happen which is worrying. but really would love to get on a bike soon.

Rob

Mad Dave

posted on 12/3/09 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

CBR400s are a very good choice. Although they don't have the gear-driven cam setup of the V4 bikes

Oh yes they do!

I've owned many bikes over the passed 15 years or so. Among the many there has been an NC30 and NC29. Both cracking bikes but of the two I would choose the NC29. As mentioned before, one of my reasons is tyre choice. 18" rears are a pain!

Which ever you buy you will still have tons of fun.

Dave

COREdevelopments

posted on 12/3/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your wisdom guys, i really do appreciate. i was at the nec bike show in december 08 and buell were boosting trackdays in the summer for 99quid inc use of a buell bike which sounded good.
as for a bike, im still hung on a vfr as its been a childhood dream bike. it just looks awesome. i have only considered the nc23 as one is forsale locally at a decent price.
thanks all.

Rob

NigeEss

posted on 12/3/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I found the VFR400 at sedate speedsgave me sore wrists and a stiff neck from
the riding position, ine at speed when the wind pressure suppports you more.
Other than that a great bike.

As mentioned ride defensively and as if everyone is out to kill you !

Have fun out there.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

02GF74

posted on 13/3/09 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I past my test on a 125, rode round on a couple 350Lc's then up onto a Z1000.

me too, CG125 then to Z1000 A1

Peteff

posted on 13/3/09 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt

It's the best way of bladdering your bike and not being able to claim on the insurance. There was a 2 year old Gixxer 600 in the shop recently with a repair bill of £2000 which was a track day victim. Get an old CBR 600 for playtime. Don't look at 400 race reps unless you are under 5' 6" or a weird shape and check out parts prices, the little V4 plugs are expensive. A friend of mine is a race instructor in Summer at Donington with Ron Haslam and they do a class with bike and leathers supplied. He uses the same bike as mine, a 900 Hornet.

[Edited on 13/3/09 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

idl1975

posted on 13/3/09 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Take the plates off before you get there! And tape over your VIN plate.

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt

It's the best way of bladdering your bike and not being able to claim on the insurance. There was a 2 year old Gixxer 600 in the shop recently with a repair bill of £2000 which was a track day victim. Get an old CBR 600 for playtime. Don't look at 400 race reps unless you are under 5' 6" or a weird shape and check out parts prices, the little V4 plugs are expensive. A friend of mine is a race instructor in Summer at Donington with Ron Haslam and they do a class with bike and leathers supplied. He uses the same bike as mine, a 900 Hornet.

[Edited on 13/3/09 by Peteff]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.