Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vectra sri
*davies144*

posted on 11/3/09 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
vectra sri

hi my m8's vectra is a S reg and was running badly the oil and water was mixing badly and it was using them both so we thought it would be the head gaset, we took the head off but the head seems ok and the head gasket was ok, but the inlet manifold was really oily and it sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders . ANY IDEAS?
Ben_Copeland

posted on 11/3/09 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhalls had a nasty problem with the head going porous... sounds like that to me

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

*davies144*

posted on 11/3/09 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
but ther was no water in no.4 cylinder, so if it is porus would it make it missfire?
Ben_Copeland

posted on 11/3/09 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
but there is a lot of oil... so either its coming from the head, seals/porous, etc or the rings have gone and its burning oil.

Still think it coud be a porous head if the water and oil is mixing and the head gasket is ok. Oil could be getting into the cylinder through a crack in the head??? did you check the inlet / outlet ports for anything nasty

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

mediabloke

posted on 11/3/09 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Edit: Darn! Beat me to it!

If the gasket had no obvious marks where the oil / water had tracked, there aren't many other ways that would start the mayo machine.

You say the head seemed okay. Did you get it pressure tested?

There was an issue with the Vauxhall (non-coscast) heads going porous. This might explain it better:
Linky
The link suggests a sealant treatment, but I seem to recall someone elsewhere suggesting an alternative to join the 2 oil galleries - or maybe I dreamt it! I'll have a scout round.

Is this any use, too:
Camshaft cover breathers linky

Francis.

[Edited on 11/3/09 by mediabloke]

*davies144*

posted on 11/3/09 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
veccy

so reading the cashaft cover link would all the inlet manifold be shitty or would it jut be a ertain port, would a porus head cause the engine to missfire?
mediabloke

posted on 11/3/09 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by *davies144*
so reading the cashaft cover link would all the inlet manifold be shitty or would it jut be a ertain port, would a porus head cause the engine to missfire?

I'd have thought it'd be all ports, but the ones nearest the breather would bear the brunt. The effect would sound like a regular misfire.

If the head was porous and had mixed as much oil & water as you said, it's more likely to blow mayo out of the breather too, but you'd have noticed it in the manifold...

The only way I can think a porous head would cause a misfire was if there was a track between the water jacket / oil gallery and the cylinder (the gases would escape to either the water expansion bottle or rocker cover) or if the cylinder had overheated & was seizing (now that wouldn't make a nice sound).

If you have a mate with a compression tester nearby, a compression test would tell you if you had a leak from the cylinder bore or if the rings were shot. My friendly mechanic also did a leakdown test on mine to confirm if there was any leakage from the water expansion, rocker cover or sump, before I took the head off.

UncleFista

posted on 11/3/09 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall Astras of about that age have an oil to water cooler that's well known for corroding through and allowing oil and coolant to mix. Dunno whether Vectras had the same, but maybe that's where the oil and water are mixing ?

Dunno about the rough running though, did both problems start at the same time ?

[Edited on 11/3/09 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

x_flow57

posted on 11/3/09 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
If you have a V6 SRi they have an oil cooler in the water system between the "V" these leak and you get all the signs of a head gasket gone, particularly oil in the cooling system. Don't ask how I know. Vauxhalls price for a replacement cooler was as good as I could find any where.

Nick.

blakep82

posted on 11/3/09 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
if its an S reg, it shouldn't have problems with a porous head? that was only really a problem with th C20XE engine, which they stopped doing before 98 didn't they? it would be an ecotec, but don't know what would cause your problems

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

DorsetStrider

posted on 12/3/09 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
I'm currently stripping a vectra sri with the ecotec engine. Will take a look tomorrow (if I get the chance) and see what I can see.

The one I'm stripping has leaked oil externally as well so could be the same thing maybe?

Who the f**K tightened this up!

stevebubs

posted on 12/3/09 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
If it were a V6 I would say look at the oil cooler nestled in the middle of the V....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.