Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VDO Speedo problems HELP
tomgregory2000

posted on 14/3/09 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
VDO Speedo problems HELP

One of the fail points on my SVA was my speedo.
It didnt go past 35mph, ok i thought that should be easy to fix, Oh how wrong was i.
In kinda fixing the lack of speed (it now go's upwards of 80mph) but i now have a new problem
The needle on the VDO vision speedo now flickers all over the place, if it starts off at 60mph it flicks between 50-70mph.
So i thought there must be some interference somewhere so i have run new wires between the sensor and gauge and a seperate power supply and it is still playing up
Is there aything i have missed?
I bought them from westfield back in May 2005 so i guess it is out of warranty.

All help needed

Tommy

IDONTBELEIVEIT

posted on 14/3/09 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
what tyre size are you running,and what is your pulse value,is it running from a hall pick up and where from
i'm running the same set up from westfield
cheers wayne

[Edited on 14/3/09 by IDONTBELEIVEIT]

Are We There Yet, Are We There Yet!!!!

tomgregory2000

posted on 14/3/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
i cant remember what the sensor is called but it ony has the 2 spade terminal on it and picks up on a metal object.
I have a speed ring fitted on the n/s drive shaft and the sensor looking at it, it has 6 tabs but they are only about an 3/4" wide, is this to small an area for the sensor to pick up on at speed? i would have thought that would have been enough metal to look at

martthefridgeman

posted on 14/3/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem with my racetech speedo and it was due to a too large an air gap/ inconsistent gaps between the sensor and the teeth on my drive shaft. also is your sensor solidly mounted so it does not pick up any vibration. other than that is the cable to the sensor screened and grounded at one end. ATB Martin.
blakep82

posted on 14/3/09 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
i would think more the sensor than the speedo too actually

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Agriv8

posted on 14/3/09 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I had all sorts of problems very similar to the ones you are experiencing

started using one of these on the recomendation of MNR bought it from ETb instruments ( using 2 magnets of the prop ) and all is well

regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 14/3/09 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

IDONTBELEIVEIT

posted on 15/3/09 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
i've set mine up with an air gap of about 2mm inline with the socket heads on my drive shaft lobros,how big an air gap have you got,no more than 5mm,are all your tabs dead inline
cheers wayne

Are We There Yet, Are We There Yet!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.