Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost rep snetterton report
pointy

posted on 17/3/09 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Locost rep snetterton report

Locost Racers,

I intend to do a small feedback report after each event, so firstly congratulations to Scott and Rhys for their victories in 2 very closely fought races. Well done also too Richard Jenkins, Richard Dixon, Ed Pither and James Pinkerton for their podium positions, and not forgetting our first time racers Simon Ironside, Campbell Cassidy and Max lees who I am sure feel relieved to get the first one done and dusted.

Scrutineers feedback was very positive praising the high standard of preparation of our cars. (lets keep it up throughout the season.)

As always please let me know your thoughts, and if I can be of any assistance you know my e-mail address.

See you at mallory.

Andy p

evanschris

posted on 17/3/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
So I am guessing there were no "ROPS" issues then?
blackie

posted on 19/3/09 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by evanschris
So I am guessing there were no "ROPS" issues then?

I thought this had already been done to death!

This really isn't an issue that will be solved at a single race meeting, so I recommend you re-read the thread explaining the situation to improve your understanding of it, because you give the impression (I'm sure by mistake) that you're just being argumentative.

The drivers, constructors, club & scrutes need to work together to resolve this & as I'm sure you appreciate this will not be resolved to anyones benefit by suddenly excluding a load of cars due to cage irregularities.

As a driver & someone passionate about our formula, I'd really appreciate you taking more care not to post argumentative statements (or statements that can be construed as argumentative) because this helps none of us in the long run.

Thank you.

Dave Black #28

pointy

posted on 19/3/09 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
This is the last time I shall post on this subject.

The scrutineers will have the FINAL say on roll cages.
They know the rules and are fully aware of the on going discussions.

PLEASE, PLEASE can we focus on the 2009 Locost racing season.

Andy P.

[Edited on 19/3/09 by pointy]

Rob Palin

posted on 19/3/09 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Dave & Andy

I think you might be over-reacting a little there. Not everyone is aware of the details of the roll cage issues and Chris's post could easily have been perfectly innocent.

Personally I have heard more than some and yet I was still unsure what I would face when I turned up at Scrutineering at the weekend. Fortunately I spoke to Matt G at some length and I am now suitably reassured. As I see it a key part of the whole problem has been that the rules - specifically as they are understood / interpreted by the scrutineers and the MSA - are not well documented nor communicated to competitors. Obviously deliberately inflammatory comments by people are not constructive, but we can't use that as justification for stifling further dissemination of the actual regulations.

I would also argue that it is very much a subject pertinent for people building (or re-building) to the 2009 racing regulations or for next season and so is definitely a valid topic for discussion on here (though in the Race Issues section, strictly speaking).

Cheers

Rob

simes43

posted on 19/3/09 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
evanschris

Keep asking for status, as Rob says there will be others who need to be updated due to the position of their car build.

evanschris

posted on 19/3/09 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
It was a genuine question - are those who have already invested in Caged kits or intend build using one ,like myself, going to pass scutineering. On the one hand Brian M ,Caged and others have said that there is no issue (providing of course that the welding is to a sufficient standard(evidenced by photograph/cut through on a sample weld). On the other hand it appears to me that one of the other ROPS vendors is trying to protect his business, which he is entitled to do, by casting aspertions as to the eligibility of a great deal of the field who have gone down the Caged/kit route. I want a straight answer before I go any further with my build.

Secondly as far as I am aware I have not contravened any of the forum rules with my post - if I have than I am happy to remove it. What you seem to be saying is dont ask an awkward question on here. Unfortunately the nature of a forum is that it is open to all providing we keep within the rules . Thirdly I am not trolling - I am mid way through building a new car to re-join in the series at some time.

Finally as this has been "done to death" perhaps someone could be good enough to let me know what the current state of play is? I havn't got a clue.

blackie

posted on 19/3/09 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
for those builders looking to buy cages now, I offer you the following advice

If you're buying a cage that requires a certificate & identification label (ie. Caged / Procomp) there is a list of approved installers on the certification document itself (which is a multi-page document).

In the case of the Procomp cage (which is on my car) the only approved installers are Procomp themselves.

As I cant speak for the Caged certificate, anyone going the Caged route should check the cert to ensure their chosen installer is on there. If you stick to the approved installer list on the cert, then you have no problems.

You're absolutely right to ask any question on the forum, that's what it's here for. By "done to death", I refer to

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=106949

HTH

ATB

DB

Rob Palin

posted on 19/3/09 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Arrrgh, I committed the cardinal sin of a double post. Sorry about that.

I disagree that the issue has been "done to death". I was heavily involved in that linked thread and still had to go and seek clarification at the race meeting because the information published here did not clarify matters sufficiently.

Having got that clarification at Snetterton I am a little happier but I still find the rules *as published by the MSA in their reference document, the Blue Book* to be insufficient.

What's more, they aren't consistent with what's happening in other categories - there still lies an open question as to why companies like OMP and Custom Cages sell self-assembly or self-installation roll cage kits in the UK (c.f. Demon Tweeks 2009 catalogue pages 186-189) when the interpretation of the MSA regulations that's been discussed here makes this specifically illegal.

Reportedly the MSA say their position has been unchanged for years but these manufacturers have also been selling these kits for years so shouldn't someone have pointed out to them that what they're doing is implicitly illegal?

Custardtart

posted on 20/3/09 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Illegal is a strong word, ineligible probably sits nearer the mark?

They're only noodles

Rob Palin

posted on 20/3/09 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Well it wasn't me that first used it, but I agree, "ineligible" is perhaps better. "Illegal" has wider connotations than are involved here.

blackie

posted on 20/3/09 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Rob, owners of existing cages are in a different boat to our newbie here.

For evanschris & others looking to buy a new cage for racing the situation is as I described it. I think this is pretty clear. If it's not, post a question.

The situation with the existing cages is another issue that needs further clarification. As Andy P has already indicated that he's holding a meeting of the drivers comittee at Mallory, I suggest that this is discussed in this forum.

Hopefully this will start a chain of events leading to a statement informing owners of existing cages where they stand. Beyond that, I dont believe further debate of this topic on this forum is moving the issue on at all right now, but of course this is a public forum, so proceed if you wish!!

Cheers,

DB

evanschris

posted on 20/3/09 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to sound thick - I have bought a cage( more than 12 months ago ) as a kit(caged). It has not been fitted. Could someone confirm who can fit it to the car?

[Edited on 20/3/09 by evanschris]

simes43

posted on 20/3/09 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by evanschris
Sorry to sound thick - I have bought a cage( more than 12 months ago ) as a kit(caged). It has not been fitted. Could someone confirm who can fit it to the car?

[Edited on 20/3/09 by evanschris]

God? Or pm me your number.

blackie

posted on 20/3/09 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
evanschris - talk to Caged. Get (or at least view) a copy of the complete ROPS certification document from them. This document identifies the authorised fitters of the cage for race use.

If God is on the list, I'd go with him, I hear he's a demon welder!!

All the best,

DB

Rob Palin

posted on 20/3/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Well I think the continued discussion here has indeed yielded some additional information and clarification for those not privvy to the details direct from the people involved.

We still await formal communication of the conclusions back from the club / MSA but this whole episode has been a mess, in my opinion, and I suspect that won't get much better when the actual regulations that are being applied are properly revealed to us.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.