Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is this legal?
The Simmonds

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Is this legal?

Hi,

Iv got my sva booked for 2 weeks today and am just finishing the car off so that its ready. I have installed a rear wooden panel (covered in rexene) that incorporates 2 speakers for my cd player and the petrol filler cap. Really pleased with how it looks but I am now a little concerned whether or not its legal. I can think of two possible areas for debate:

Firstly, the speakers are open to the elements and as of yet I have no specific cover made for the car - not too sure how theyd view that?

Secondly the petrol cap - it is quite near to the speakers, which I guess they could claim is a hazard and the connecting tube to the tank is made from plastic kitchen drainage piping. The engine takes leaded fuel so there shouldn't be any worries about the size of the pipe and it is all sealed fine. Whilst none of this is inherently dangerous I just wondered how people think theyll view it in the test?

Ive attached a picture so you can see what Im talking about!

Cheers

Rescued attachment Rear panel.jpg
Rescued attachment Rear panel.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Simmonds

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
ah yeh, also is the steering wheel legal - it now has a plastic nut cover over the centre nut - is that ok?

Thanks everyone!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
plastic kitchen drainage piping.

get the proper stuff

The Simmonds

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
lol, will it fail because of that?!
chrsgrain

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
All (AFAIK) fuel piping has to be marked as suitable for fuel use - so, as above, get some proper stuff.

Other than that, I can't remember any rules, other than radius, which it might fail under..... of course you'll never be able to hear it on the move, but that's another story

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Andy W

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just heard to to day, that the filler will not pass IVA in this position as petrol could spill into the passenger area

Andy

The Simmonds

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
should it pass the sva test though - thats what its booked in for. Cheers.
omega0684

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
1)steering wheel will fail,
2)petrol kitchen drainage pipe needs to go and be replaced by filler neck piping that is petrol proof, (needs to be marked)
3)your cd player face will fail on sharp edges as the facia isn't rediused
4)i would take speakers out for SVA and then fit them after, but to be honest you won't hear anything without any hood gear on, even if you arn't wearing a helmet, the wind noice gets very loud about 40mph
5)no seat belts?
6) i would get rid of spare tyre for SVA
7)does the filler cap have a locking mechanism?

have you got photo's of the front of the car so we can have a look?

[Edited on 18/3/09 by omega0684]

tomgregory2000

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Where are you seat belts?
designer

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Is that filler cat legal on a new car?
designer

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Is that filler cap legal on a new car
Paradoxia0

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Don't you need a rollbar too?

There is no replacement for displacement...

speedyxjs

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paradoxia0
Don't you need a rollbar too?

I dont think so.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

omega0684

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
the SVA man at birmingham said to me that there is no actual requirement to have a rollbar fitted! but he did also say that you would be an idiot not to fit one!
nib1980

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
here's a link to the SVA manual so you can decide for yourself if you like?

http://westfield-world.com/sva_manual_draft.pdf

jacko

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
The fuel cap has to be locking and no higher then 50mm if i remember right + no sharp edges
Jacko

Dangle_kt

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Looks like a tidy build - but I couldn't help but notice the following things unlinked to your questions

the nuts in front of the gear stick look like they havn't got enough radius.

the wheel needs a foam cover and a collaspable steering boss as a minimum or just fit the original ford wheel

on the engine end of the exhaust there looks like a few things that will fail the radius test

I'm not sure if the exhaust guard will pass

Those pointy nuts on the back of the boot cover aren't radiused enough

Are the bonnet catches those spring ones? if so they will fail on edges

will the hinge on the petrol cap pass the radius test?

oh and the bit about fuel pipe wasn;t a general comment, the sva tester checks all fuel pipes, and if they arn;t properly marked by the manufacture as fuel hose/tube/pipe etc they will fail you.

Might be worth posting some more pictures, as with only two weeks you might be best having a list to work through now.

Im sure Everyone on here will be as helpful as they can to recomend cheap alternatives - or even lend bits and peices.

Not trying to pee on your bonfire, but if it was me, I'd rather know so I can sort the stuff out first.

[Edited on 18/3/09 by Dangle_kt]

Dangle_kt

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
The fuel cap has to be locking and no higher then 50mm if i remember right + no sharp edges
Jacko

fuel cap does not need to lock, but it does need to be secure and sealed.

BenB

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
When it rains you're going to get some wierd moving puddles in your speakers if you've got them working!!!!
designer

posted on 18/3/09 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the monza type filler cap was illegal, and can only be used as a replacment!
oldtimer

posted on 18/3/09 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Mirrors look very low too, will they pass the very specific SVA requirements?
omega0684

posted on 18/3/09 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
im very curious about the car now, it has octaganol wheel arches! how wierd? what car is it? more pics please

with regards to the fuel cap, its has to have a lock if the filler cap is exposed to the outside of the car! it the filler neck is not exposed to the outside of the car, say under the boot shelf then it have to be secured but then the shelf has to be lockable

1)you need edge trim on the front cycle wings as well
2)you need a centre mirror!
3)your bonnet catches will also fail sva on sharp edges
4)side repeaters may possibly be too low
5) u-trim around the exhaust hole

can't see much else from those two pictures, you got any close up of the suspension?

[Edited on 18/3/09 by omega0684]

jacko

posted on 18/3/09 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Jacko

fuel cap does not need to lock, but it does need to be secure and sealed.

When i had my sva the tester checked it had a lock on the cap and then removed the top to make sure the tank was full [ no fuel gauge]
jacko

jacko

posted on 18/3/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Mirror's look to low
do you have edging on the front arches

Front indicators look to far in only allowed 400mm from the widest part of the car

[Edited on 18/3/09 by jacko]

The Simmonds

posted on 18/3/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Wow thats a pretty awesome response! I knew you guys were good but that's impressive, thanks very much for taking the time to help.

Those pictures arnt up to date and most of the issues listed have either been sorted or will be sorted but there have been some really helpful comments.

I have fitted sva legal harnesses on both seats

edge trim all round

and addressed most of the other issues,
I will take more pictures tomorrow and post them. If you wouldn't mind scrutinising them for me that would be superb!

The car is a one off and has been built from scratch so that is why the front wings are unusual.

Thanks everyone!

Matt

[Edited on 18/3/09 by The Simmonds]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.