Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Daihatsu charade alternator question
givemethebighammer

posted on 16/2/04 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Daihatsu charade alternator question

Anyone got any idea what amp rating the daihatsu charade alternator is: I think it is 35A but could be wrong. Looking at buying a largish motorbike battery to start / run my 2.0L zetec (no screen hence no wipers / demist etc) and don't want to get one that will get cooked. I know the inbuilt regulator on the alternator should stop this but it is always best to check.

thanks

elitewiring

posted on 18/2/04 at 04:16 AM Reply With Quote
the following are the amp ratings of the alternators that were fitted. 1.0 diesel 1983-87 and 1.0 turbo diesel 1985-87 was 40 amps. 1.0 petrol 1980-87 and 1.0 petrol turbo 1983-87 was 45 amps. 1.0 1.0 gti 1987-90, 1.3i 1993-96 and 1.5i 1994-96 was 60 amps. hope this helps.
Metal Hippy

posted on 18/2/04 at 05:22 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting name and description of what you're building Elite...

Any more info in the interests of public service?

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

givemethebighammer

posted on 18/2/04 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm, think I took it off a 1.3 16v car it was definately a G reg so I think maybe it is a 60 Amp unit. Definately twin cam 16v.

thanks

JoelP

posted on 18/2/04 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
hi gimme, any chance of a photo of the daihatsu unit? my sierra alt has about 1mm clearance with the steering column...

cheers if you can!

Mark Allanson

posted on 18/2/04 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
My sierra unit has a -40mm clearance all round!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

givemethebighammer

posted on 18/2/04 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Can do Joel , but the engine is still on the stand at the moment, and its a 2.0L Zetec. I had to make a bracket to mount it (the alternator). Got the design from Siert who sometimes visits this forum. I fitted the daihatsu unit mainly to solve two issues.

1. the normal mounting for a zetec alternator is on the exhaust side of the engine. I have heard of situations where the heat from the exhaust has damaged the alternator.

2. I have fitted twin Weber 45's , so needed a very small alternator to fit underneath them !!!

I'll try and take some pics at the weekend. (dark garage + crap digital camera = crap photos)

[Edited on 18/2/04 by givemethebighammer]

[Edited on 18/2/04 by givemethebighammer]

JoelP

posted on 18/2/04 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
my exhaust is gonna need some hardcore lagging, as the master cylinder and altenator are all VERY close to it!

elitewiring

posted on 18/2/04 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
metal hippy,
i manufacture wiring looms for kit cars (including locosts).
i may well advertise them for sale on this forum in the near future.
orginally i designed and manufactured looms for luego and have now moved onto other things.
i can see that there is a limited choice of wiring looms to locost builders (either manufacturer or premier wiring) i aim to change this and give another choice to everybody with a higher quality product for no more money, i can achieve this because my overheads are lower.
i could also stay in contact with builders via this forum as it appears the likes of premier wiring are hard to contact.

Mark Allanson

posted on 18/2/04 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
I hate wiring (you cannot weld the bloody stuff). I want a loom to fit a 2.0i sierra engine with injection fitted, for standard sierra instruments and column. I can fit the rear end of the car no problem. Any estimate of price - I can supply the original sierra loom as a basis as required

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

ray.h.

posted on 19/2/04 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Wiring harness

Can you supply a cortina harness to mate up to a sierra column.I have all the sierra plugs?
elitewiring

posted on 19/2/04 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
mark.
the looms i supplied to luego were a universal loom (fits all luegos but engine wiring would need to be made up) this was due to the vast array of different engines people install. even though i can charge less than the other suppiers (low overheads and not vat registered(saving you 17.5 % straight away)) i do need to decide if a car/engine loom is in demand enough to warrant the design time. i am interested in your engine choice and would be interested in persuing this loom choice. cost would be approx £80 this would include lighting relay kit (note,not supplied with loom from luego and some other companies) i would need you to supply the steering column connectors. the problem is that i dont want to commit to your job right now because i am in the middle of designing a loom for a motorcycle engine fisher fury, and i dont want to let anyone down including you.
i will be in a position in the next couple of weeks to go into this idea.
i will post a message regarding this when i can.

lsdweb

posted on 19/2/04 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All

I've used a CVH alternator on my Zetec engined Locost. A book chassis but with the engine set back about 6inches further than standard. The alternator is standard CVH Sierra (I'm also using the flywheel, starter, clutch etc.) and mounted on a modified Tiger bracket (wish I'd made my own!. Everything sits nice and tight to the block and should fit in most locations.

I think I've attached a picture!

Regards

Wyn Rescued attachment P1010001.JPG
Rescued attachment P1010001.JPG

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.