Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: removing stoneguards - How?
aka Keith

posted on 23/3/09 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
removing stoneguards - How?

I bought my car with aluminium stoneguards, which look like they have been glued on.

They are starting to lift from the wheel arch at the botton, so I was thinking of remving them completely for some new ones.

so what is the best way to remove them without destroying the guard?

[edit for spelling]

[Edited on 23/3/09 by aka Keith]

Humbug

posted on 23/3/09 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
If they otherwise look OK, you could put a few strategically placed rivets on and make the other side match too
02GF74

posted on 23/3/09 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
what sort of glue?

if it is PU or sealant type stuff, the it'll be difficult - you would need to use a very long blade to slie through it being careful not to scrape the wind.

as ^^^, rivets or small bolts to hold it down.

other glues maybe dissovled with solvent but then that may damage paintwork.

guards from aluminium sheet are a piece of caketo make so not the end of the world should you need to remake them.

anup

posted on 23/3/09 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Autoglym intensive tar remover may soften the adhesive enough to peel off.

Autosmart Tardis is suppossed to be very good, but you'd have to buy 5 litres

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/autosmart-tardis-clean.html

BenB

posted on 23/3/09 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Success will depend if they roughed up the surface before gluing. I'd try mixing some washing up liquid and water in a plant atomizer and squirt it up under where it's lifting. Leave it for a while and then try peeling it a little bit more. Repeat.....
iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 23/3/09 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
If they otherwise look OK, you could put a few strategically placed rivets on and make the other side match too

This is surely your best option? Rivet all the way around so they just look like they are riveted on. save a lot of hassle and will still look good??

aka Keith

posted on 23/3/09 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I have thought about the rivet route, but if I am honest, the guards are looking very battered now, not to much as aluminium sheet, more like aluminium plebble dash......so I would like to replace them with something new, just to refresh the look of the car.
DarrenW

posted on 23/3/09 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ive used acetone to clean PU off chassis etc but not sure what it will do to gel coat or paint finish. I used it before fully cured too.

Probs easier to fit some new wings

Hellfire

posted on 23/3/09 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
If you're gonna fit new ones, it doesn't really matter how you get them off, so long as you don't destroy the rear wing in the process. If they're aluminium, just fold them over and use a sharp blade to cut through the adhesive.

Phil

aka Keith

posted on 23/3/09 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Phil, thanks for the post. That is what i failed to communicate.

Happy to destroy the original guards in removing them, just do not want to bugger up the rear arches whilst I am at it. Aslo, once gone, I will need to remove as much of the glue/mastik etc that is left on the arch to get a nice fit for the replacement.

So any good methodes of removing the guards, apart from the above?

cheers
Craig

Findlay234

posted on 23/3/09 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Sharpened steel ruler (be careful which end you hold!!)????

Wire saw may be an idea. might mark the rear arches but if you make your replacements slightly larger than before then you should have no issues. Get a fairly flexible wire saw!!

wrigglypig

posted on 23/3/09 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
As aluminium is a good conductor of heattry getting hold of one edge with mole grips and then trickle boiling water onto the alinear where you have hold of it it may just soften it enough to let you pull it away. It should nt hurt the GRP ( it doesnt hurt baths does it?)
Failing that you could go very steady with a hot air strippe on the ali to heat it. Or even heat up the edge of an old steel rule with a blow torch and poke it into the adhesive and keep pulling and poking (Oh er missus ) let us know how you get on and what works best.
Kev

aka Keith

posted on 23/3/09 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the replies so far....I am paranoid about starting then fecking it up halfway through and leaving it looking like a dogs dinner..

I will keep an eye on it, to see how bad it is, and if the aluminium guard lift gets any worse. If it does, then I will have to bite the bullet and crack on with it.

Cheers
Craig

Mix

posted on 23/3/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Cheesewire and gentle heating would get my vote for actually getting the guards off. Then careful experimentation to find a suitable solvent to remove the residual adhesive.

Regards Mick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.