Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vectra Dual Mass Flywheel
mistergrumpy

posted on 23/3/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Vectra Dual Mass Flywheel

A friend at work said his dual mass flywheel needs replacing on his 06/07 Vectra after it's MOT, he suspected something was wrong as well. I thought it'd be £300-£500 my Dad reckons £500-£700 and looking it seems to be a common problem. Has anyone suffered it and know the expected price? Supply and fit?

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 23/3/09 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
linky to clutch guy

VAUXHALL VECTRA 2.2 16v LUK DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL

£380.37 Buy It Now

[Edited on 23-3-09 by mangogrooveworkshop]

mookaloid

posted on 23/3/09 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
These Dual Mass Flywheels seem to be very expensive and lots of cars (diesels) seem to use them now.

Most dealers seem to want to change the flywheel whenever the clutch is changed, you can however buy non- dual mass ones for some cars - do a google..

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

jacko

posted on 23/3/09 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Some one at work had it done at main dealers £1300
google vectra c forum lots of info on there

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 23/3/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Jeezo. Expensive then. He'll not like that. I'll have a mooch at the links, thanks.

eccsmk

posted on 23/3/09 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
have a quick look here

grahamgg

posted on 23/3/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have an 06 vectra 1.9 cdti 150. I have had two replaced, the first one under warranty and the second cost £1200 at a main dealer this included a new clutch assembly and i got the cam belt changed at the same time. the car has now done 130'000 miles now, so another flywheel due in about another 20 - 30'0000 miles.
Suspension bushes are made of plasticine, i think I'm on my third set of ARB bushes on the rear, front top strut mount bearings are $hite and last about 70k but creak from new (they are made of plastic), electric power steering pump lasted 115k and costs £650 to replace, Intermittent ecu fualts (limp home mode), buy youself a reset/code reader. Genuine vauxhall brake pads are crap and eat disks.

The list goes on, worst car I have ever owned, and the main dealer service is pooor

The same happened on a skoda superb I owned before I changed it for the vectra. but it lasted about 70'000 miles. I know you can buy a solid flywheel conversion for the pdi volkswagen engine, but I dont know of any conversion for the Vauxhall.

Graham

Danozeman

posted on 23/3/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
You can get solid kits for them. Vectras are shit. I deal with our local vauxhall agent all the time and they reckon theyr shite.
The saab's with the same engines dont have as much trouble. They run so much smoother.
Im a mechanic for the post office and we put dual mass flywheels in the vauxhall combo cdti's at less than 30k a piece.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

mistergrumpy

posted on 23/3/09 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have to tell him tomorrow. There;s loads on there! He'll be in tears. I reckon he's only had it 8 weeks and he's got a child around 6 months

grahamgg

posted on 23/3/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
You can get solid kits for them. Vectras are shit. I deal with our local vauxhall agent all the time and they reckon theyr shite.
The saab's with the same engines dont have as much trouble. They run so much smoother.
Im a mechanic for the post office and we put dual mass flywheels in the vauxhall combo cdti's at less than 30k a piece.

Can you point me in the right direction of the solid conversion, I wasn't aware there was one for the vectra c cdti150.

If you do the flywheel change yourself, its a full engine and gearbox out job. Dropping the whole lot on the subframe fom underneath yhe car.

thanks Graham

[Edited on 23/3/09 by grahamgg]

clairetoo

posted on 23/3/09 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Dumb question time - what is a `dual mass` flywheel - and how on earth can it cost so much ? ? ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Simon

posted on 23/3/09 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
Claire,

Its a flywheel with a flywheel!

The outer one has springs that dampen it's action against the inner.

I'm sure there are animations on youtube.

Edit - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnaXB8q3uzQ

Utterly pointless and another excuse for manufacturers to produce expensive shite that needs replacing regularly and generally for more than car's worth!

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 23/3/09 by Simon]

clairetoo

posted on 24/3/09 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

britishtrident

posted on 24/3/09 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman

SAAB actually have even more serious engine problems usually around the 80k mark.they self distruct

spaximus

posted on 24/3/09 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Claire,

Utterly pointless and another excuse for manufacturers to produce expensive shite that needs replacing regularly and generally for more than car's worth!

ATB

Simon

Sorry but your are wrong as to them being unecessary. Ask your self this question would a manufacturer spend extra fitting these if they weren't necessary?

The reason they are fitted is that modern car blocks are made out of light cast steel or alloy, they cannot soak up vibrations that older designs did. So they have a Torsional Vibration Damper on the front pulley and the Dual mass Flywheel at the rear. Some BMW cars also have a further one fitted in the centre the crank as well.
If they are not fitted the vibration travels into the box and will wear the box out.
The solid conversions are a cheap solution for old cars, they work but not as they should or as the manufacturer designed the car/engine to do.
The downside of the DMF is the cost and also they are less tolerant of harsh driving, which is why vans seem to require changing every time a clutch is changed. Garages will always recommend changing them as the labour to pull it all out again is not worth the risk. Ask the garage if they have used an LUK tool to check the flywheel if not they are guessing, and LUK are the designers of both the DMF and the tools to check them.

Simon

posted on 24/3/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
I think we'll have to agree to disagree, and I still think there are better, far more reliable and much cheaper options.

Like at the design stage - think how much good faith (and therefore cheapness) is worth when you have to get a customer to cough up £1300 for a flywheel!).

Doesn't look so cheap then, especially when that customer a) vows never to buy another Vauxhall, and b) tells everyone else about how shite their car has been.

I won't buy Vauxhall because the one my father had in 1974 was crap!

ATB

Simon

Guinness

posted on 24/3/09 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Is that why when I stall my VW TDi it feels like it's hit a brick wall?

Mike

grahamgg

posted on 24/3/09 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spaximus
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Claire,

ATB

Simon

Sorry but your are wrong as to them being unecessary. Ask your self this question would a manufacturer spend extra fitting these if they weren't necessary?

The reason they are fitted is that modern car blocks are made out of light cast steel or alloy, they cannot soak up vibrations that older designs did. So they have a Torsional Vibration Damper on the front pulley and the Dual mass Flywheel at the rear. Some BMW cars also have a further one fitted in the centre the crank as well.
If they are not fitted the vibration travels into the box and will wear the box out.
The solid conversions are a cheap solution for old cars, they work but not as they should or as the manufacturer designed the car/engine to do.
The downside of the DMF is the cost and also they are less tolerant of harsh driving, which is why vans seem to require changing every time a clutch is changed. Garages will always recommend changing them as the labour to pull it all out again is not worth the risk. Ask the garage if they have used an LUK tool to check the flywheel if not they are guessing, and LUK are the designers of both the DMF and the tools to check them.

Got to disagree, If they are necessary why did Ford replace the DMF with a solid flywheel on their transit vans,. Some only lasting a few thousand miles before needing changed. And I believe the DMF would need changing before a clutch would.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I have heard that most manufacturers have binned fitting these because of all the problems.

graham

UncleFista

posted on 24/3/09 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
They're just a way to make diesel engines more like a petrol engine.
Diesel engine's were uber-reliable but very tractor-like so manufacturers have bolted more and more hi-tech stuff to 'em to make them easier to live with day to day (common rail injection, DMFs etc).
The down side is, they're not as reliable.

I've just replaced my car with a petrol, after a few years of diesels, there's no going back, I'm actually enjoying my driving now

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Peteff

posted on 25/3/09 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Can't you run a weld round it and treat it as a solid flywheel Do you still have shock springs in the friction plate as well as the springing in the flywheel ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

adithorp

posted on 25/3/09 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
No, the springs in the driven plate are not there on DMF systems.

The latest DMF have planet gears instead of the springs in an attempt to make them last longer. Just sounds like more to go wrong to me.

If switching back to a solid flywheel and damped plate is such a bad idea, why are LUK making the conversions?

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.