Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering wheel collapsable boss rules?
The Simmonds

posted on 26/3/09 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Steering wheel collapsable boss rules?

Hi there,

Got my test next wednesday and am just sorting out my steering wheel so that its legal.

My steering column has a telescopic collapsing mechanism but my steering wheel has no collapsable boss. Do you just need one or the other? Or both?

Cheers,

Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iiyama

posted on 26/3/09 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
It would appear you need both.......

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

nitram38

posted on 26/3/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Either or a change of direction in the colomn, such as two UJ's

serieslandy

posted on 26/3/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Simmonds
Hi there,

Got my test next wednesday and am just sorting out my steering wheel so that its legal.

My steering column has a telescopic collapsing mechanism but my steering wheel has no collapsable boss. Do you just need one or the other? Or both?

Cheers,

Matt
I think it is one or the other but don't count me on it. I'm sure someone will correct. Are you using the original steering wheel? As lots of people have had problems with aftermarket ones.

nitram38

posted on 26/3/09 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
It would appear you need both.......

My last car passed with a change in direction of the colomn. No collapsable section or Boss.

ReMan

posted on 26/3/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Don't NEED a collapsible boss.
Cant you run the doner steering wheel, save a lot of hassle?

The Simmonds

posted on 26/3/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
thanks everyone.

I dont have the donor steering wheel. No one has an old sierra steering wheel knocking about that they want to get rid of do they?!

Thanks

Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 26/3/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have one, must be someone nearer thjough?
The Simmonds

posted on 26/3/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
where abouts are u based? Burr Beige, Leceistershire? If I search for that on google maps it comes up with Peter Smith sports cars in Derbyshire?! I know where that is if thats right! thanks for your offer
ReMan

posted on 26/3/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Try Burbage, Leicestershire ( Hinckley)
JeffHs

posted on 26/3/09 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
You need both. A Sierra wheel is deemed to be collapsible but if you're using a Mountney or such like you need a callapsible boss despite collapsible columns and any number of U/Js.
I failed on this and had to fit a different boss

NS Dev

posted on 26/3/09 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Right, simple!

You don't NEED a collapsable boss.

You NEED: EITHER a collapsable column OR a column that will collapse away from the driver in a front impact, i.e. as Nitram says, one with two uj's and suitable angles between them.

YOU ALSO NEED: a steering wheel that complies with the radius requirements in the SVA manual. "Most" Mountney wheels DO NOT COMPLY with the radius requirements, and will therefore fail, not because they are not collapsable, but because they don't have suitable radii.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Dangle_kt

posted on 26/3/09 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression, as per the "one rule for caterham" thread the other day, that all wheels must be type approved (so how they deform in a driver into the wheel scenario has been tested) OR mounted on a collapsable boss so the wheel moves away from the driver if there body was to slam into it?

I know radius is a concern, but I thought the main reason for fitting a donor (or type approved) wheel was to satisfy this criteria?

found the thread - interesting stuff!

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=109461

quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Right, simple!

You don't NEED a collapsable boss.

You NEED: EITHER a collapsable column OR a column that will collapse away from the driver in a front impact, i.e. as Nitram says, one with two uj's and suitable angles between them.

YOU ALSO NEED: a steering wheel that complies with the radius requirements in the SVA manual. "Most" Mountney wheels DO NOT COMPLY with the radius requirements, and will therefore fail, not because they are not collapsable, but because they don't have suitable radii.

[Edited on 27/3/09 by Dangle_kt]

iiyama

posted on 27/3/09 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
This is exactly the problem that is being talked about on another thread!

Southampton SVA centre require a collapsible boss and steering column. People have failed there recently because they only had one of the two fitted.

I believe if you have a Sierra wheel fitted this counts as a collapsible boss.

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

DarrenW

posted on 27/3/09 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
This might explain my experience.

I presented car at first test with Sierra collapsible colum and Sierra steering wheel. That combination was fine - except i failed cos of wheel height.

Solution was drop the column a little and fit smaller aftermarket wheel (obviously observing slaots and radii rules). To get the smaller aftermarket wheel to pass i also had to fit a collapsible boss as well.

So - OE type approved wheel is OK with OE column.
Aftermarket wheel needs collapsible boss no matter what column arrangement you have.

Or at least thats the rule for passing at my SVA centre. Might seem belt and braces to some people (or should we say outside of the grey zone?) but its certainly on the safe side and we cant argue with that can we.

Golden rule - if in any doubt - ring your local SVA man and ask their advice. As long as you dont pester them im sure they will be only too pleasd to talk and advise, my man certainly was.

[Edited on 27/3/09 by DarrenW]

MikeR

posted on 27/3/09 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
so my steering with 2 uj's and a mountney wheel will pass if i can radius the wheel .....

i'm thinking stick on u trim here i come.

This car is actually going to be ready for SVA in summer !!!!! Woohoooo..

The Simmonds

posted on 28/3/09 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, managed to borrow one from 'cd.thompson' so Im sorted now.

Many thanks Craig and thanks to everyone else for your help.

Matt

andrew.carwithen

posted on 29/3/09 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
Glad you'e got it sorted.
It seems this is one of the areas that regularly highlights the anomalies between test centres.
Even though I have a collapsble Sierra column AND a dog-leg in the lower section, Exeter still required either a collapsable boss or original Sierra Steering wheel to be fitted at my recent SVA.
Examiner's explanation being that the Sierra wheel is designed to deform in the event of driver making contact with it in an accident.
A collapsable boss mimics this.
In light of this, I would suggest playing safe and fitting the original wheel or a collapsable boss irrespective of what type of column you have.

oldtimer

posted on 30/3/09 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
My complication with this is that, as a locoster with caterham rack+column+wheel my original wheel is a Mountney but my car is not a Caterham so does not pass due to 'low volume' rules. Just have to get another SVA approved wheel I guess.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.