Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tintop suspension spring replacement
omega0684

posted on 1/4/09 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Tintop suspension spring replacement

hi all,

im having to replace the front springs of my corsa because one of the springs sheared in two and started rattling all over the place! now i have removed the suspension strut from the car without any problems and i have put my spring compressors on so i dont get a face full when i remove the top nut, but thats my problem i cant get the top spring undone!

its am 18mm nut and im using a breaker bar on it and an extension on that but when i turn it the entire damper turns with it, i have tried using mole grips on the damper tube but still no look, have any of you got any wise words or tricks of the trade you would like to share to help a por guy out

Cheers

Alex

[Edited on 1/4/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 1/4/09 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
We had this problem at college. We ended up having to use an impact gun and even then it took ages.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

tomgregory2000

posted on 1/4/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
on all cars i have done springs on there is an allen key hole in the top of the damper that you hold while undoing the nut with a cranked ring spanner
02GF74

posted on 1/4/09 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
windy gun. (air powered impact wrench)

Dusty

posted on 1/4/09 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Angry grinder to kill the nut, with spring clamps in place. Then refit with new nut.
nick205

posted on 1/4/09 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
on all cars i have done springs on there is an allen key hole in the top of the damper that you hold while undoing the nut with a cranked ring spanner

This man has the answer - no need to got attacking it with a grinder or mole grips

Look on the top of the damper rod and you'll see a hex/allen socket - usually around 8mm. Use a cranked ring spanner rather than a socket and then use the allen key to lever against the spanner. Often best to hold the damper unit in a vice agled slightly away from your face in case the spring gets a mind of it's own too.

dan__wright

posted on 1/4/09 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000

This man has the answer - no need to got attacking it with a grinder or mole grips

Look on the top of the damper rod and you'll see a hex/allen socket - usually around 8mm. Use a cranked ring spanner rather than a socket and then use the allen key to lever against the spanner. Often best to hold the damper unit in a vice agled slightly away from your face in case the spring gets a mind of it's own too.

what he said (althigh i think it was a flat head screw driver when i did my corsa)

i crackek it off while it was still on the car though before i removed the top bit

frodo_monkey

posted on 1/4/09 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

i crackek it off while it was still on the car though before i removed the top bit

Thats the best way - slacken it off to 'just staying on' whilst the wheels are on the deck and then make sure that you have the spring compressors on properly. On my old 205 the allen key part was missing and it did take an impact wrench (although handheld electric in my case) to free it off.

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."

mcerd1

posted on 1/4/09 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan__wright

yeah you might find it easier to get it started if you've not compressed the springs (just remember and put the spring compressors back on before you take the nut off )

but they are a right PITA sometimes, some of the worst ones I've done had a #20 torx in the middle

-

omega0684

posted on 1/4/09 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all your advice there guys in the end i went with an air impact wrench that i remembered i bought ages ago but forgot i had it until today, got the nut off in seconds! fantastic bit of kit, ive given each strut a good going over with the wire brush on the drill and then put them all back together and they are now back on the car, here is a picture of the bit that sheared off

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.