Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Mallory Locost racing in Car Footage
blackie

posted on 7/4/09 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Mallory Locost racing in Car Footage

Hi Folks, I've put my camera footage up on youtube For your viewing pleasure - despite me falling down the field a little, a very enjoyable race.

Race Part 1

Race Part 2

ATB

DB

omega0684

posted on 7/4/09 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
thats is awesome footage! very clear too
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andy D

posted on 7/4/09 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Superb! Close racing with very little contact, by the look of it
MikeR

posted on 7/4/09 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
It was scary to watch - ok, i mean fantastic to watch but i didn't want to be in a car, far too close for any comfort at any part of the track.
procomp

posted on 7/4/09 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I think it is fair to say that the Locost championship is now by far the closest racing in the UK. For a whole 18 min plus one lap there was never more than an 1" or 2 between the front 10 cars. Not one red flag or any real contact during the racing for both the heat and the final.

I shall when i have found a few moments get the videos from the CTK college car edited and uploaded. It shows that the racing from the back is just as intense. I will add a link in this thread shortly.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
yellow melos

posted on 7/4/09 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Man thats some close racing !!! up close and personall ... now that my kinda racing.

If only formula1 was as close as that......

omega0684

posted on 7/4/09 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
what engines do the cars run, im presuming they are all the same?

[Edited on 7/4/09 by omega0684]

simes43

posted on 7/4/09 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Cough
MikeR

posted on 7/4/09 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
well i was going to say 1300 crossflow overbored 90 thou, control cam and standard ignition. So unless someone knows something .... yeah pretty much identical.
mistergrumpy

posted on 7/4/09 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Looks frustrating in that there's no real space to overtake because everyones crowding you.

Rob Palin

posted on 7/4/09 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
It's true that you sometimes have to back off because there's simply nowhere to actually go, but that's where extra skill in reading the traffic can come in handy - something that (triple champion...!) Declan McDonnell really excelled at.

I've not put the footage up on youtube, but the video from my car (the black & blue one in Dave's video that looks about a foot higher off the ground than everyone else's!) is available here as a download: http://www.locost47.f2s.com/Mallory_09_Final_50Mb.wmv

As the name suggests though, it's a 50Mb file so avoid if you're on dial-up!

It was a fantastically exciting race and I'm still buzzing from it two days later!

[Edited on 7/4/09 by Rob Palin]

Andy D

posted on 7/4/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a few clips of video from the sidelines:

Mallory locosts

It's a bit brief I'm afraid..

procomp

posted on 11/4/09 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Right here are the two vids from the CTK college car . ( Eventualy ) As can be seen the racing from further down the field is just as competative as it is at the front. Even when down on compression by 20%

Apologies for the poor quality. The first race was with the focus set wrong and the second had got some of the settings on auto. Which will be turned of next time

HEAT RACE

FINAL RACE

Cheers Matt

Andy D

posted on 11/4/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Good stuff Matt. Looked to be able to carry a fair bit more speed round Gerrards than most. Shame about the lack of straight line velocity.

..and a wild ride through the gravel too.

Is the little red light next to the master switch a brake light?

procomp

posted on 12/4/09 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy

Yep it is a brake light on the dash. Gives the students a guide as to what is happening. It is a temporary measure until the full data logging facilities are all fitted to the car for them to fully analyse.

Wild trip indeed. what the video dose not show very clearly is the green car slowing quite quickly as he was having a large under steer moment. Having only just finished repairing the college car and the green car having had a major rebuild over the winter and having it first run out. I took the decision that the grassy trip would be the best option all round. As any heavy breaking or major change of direction would more than likely have resulted in contact. There's not much grip on the outer edge of the circuit there with all the rubber debris and other rubbish.

Hopefully a engine refresh and new rings will rejuvenate the engine and give a bit better performance at Anglesey on June 6th 7th. Otherwise that will be one very long lonely straight along the coast.

Cheers Matt

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.