Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone know how k8 hayabusa is?
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 10/4/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know how k8 hayabusa is?

Trying to figure what is the best Hayabusa to go for. I have heard that the K8 is the most powerful but I was wondering if anyone can help fill in the gaps!
Does the K8 NEED a dry sump or will a swinging arm do?
Is it the same mounting points, so it is interchangable with any other busa of any year?
Does it need clutch spring upgrade?

Lastly, there was a K8 on Ebay and the seller said it had had a £1000 mod on the starter so that if you went backwards (in a spin?) the engine wouldn't be destroyed! Is that true?
Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Oh yeah, is it better than a ZX14?

Cheers
Ed

fesycresy

posted on 10/4/09 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
I looked into this (before work died off ) From what I could make out:

The engine mounts are the same.

It needs a dry sump if you are going on track. The SBD sump looks the best.

I was lead to believe the starter mod wasn't needed after 2004 ?

Have a chat to Malc Curnin or Karl @ Extreme. They'll put you straight.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

bob tatt

posted on 10/4/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
the block is the same so the mounting points are the same all the mods are internal, longer stroke crank mainly. i think you will also need the keys to get past the immoboliser as well. As far as i was aware the later busa engines did not need the starter conversion. do you really need this mod if you spin dip the clutch problem solved. in my opinion you will defo need a mimium of swinging pick up sump, baffle plates and an accusump if your going to drive it hard. it all depends how fast a driver you are really. ive got standard springs on mine with a westfield hydraulic clutch and its been fine, although i dont do any fast starts its only used on road and traack days so no sprinting or quarter mile runs.
as for is it better than a 14 i personally think it is because of all the tuning gear for them.
if you need advice re sumps and such give andy a ring at a and b hes a top bloke and very helpful.
hope this helps rob

Andy B

posted on 10/4/09 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ed
if its heading for the track i would dry sump, I have recently supplied parts to a lad on here who was running the Koenig sump on his. The problem is this sumps pick up does not swing 360 degrees. Initially it was designed for drag racing with oil surging from front to back and vice versa.
This leaves a large portion of the sump unprotected from surge. Result - bang
I know that there are mods to deal with the starter issueon earlier models but I dont think they cost a grand.
ZX14 v Hayabusa - on paper the 14 has it in real terms driving they are so close it comes down to personal preference I think
regards
Andy

Andy B

posted on 10/4/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
oops slow off the mark there. Have all your parts arrived Bob?
regards
Andy

bob tatt

posted on 10/4/09 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
everything is there now so damien says. having to work all weekend to pay for all the work. all i can say to everyone is get lots of advice re sumps before you go any further, when it goes bang it gets very expensive very fast. thanks for all the help andy will defo be in touch if i ever need any more bits (fingers crosed i dont though the accusump should prevent that)
rob

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 10/4/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers gents, later I may pm you for a few details if thats OK?

Andy, does the orientation of the ZX14 make a difference and does it need a dry sump in a BEC or will your billet sump do?
The only point about the ZX which I haven't laid to rest is the orientation of the engine. I know it works well in buggies, but how is it shaping up for BECs when it is orientented differently? It is still my favoured lump but I hope the delay in my plans will bring with it some wisdom!
Ed

Andy B

posted on 10/4/09 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
No worries Ed
when anticipating an install of the size you are I would always urge people to gather as much info as possible and from varied sources.
I spend ages with my customers making sure that the kit fits the budget and their expectations and at the same time that the budgets include the hidden costs that need to be covered to get the package to work reliably. I would rather not sell a kit than supply one that just isnt going to work because the essentials have not been budgetted for.
Its better for my customers that way and certainly better for business -
if you need any more advice feel free to call me
regards
Andy

iiyama

posted on 11/4/09 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Starter mod is around £350 and isnt needed on any Hayabusa engine from 2004 onward.

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

lococost

posted on 11/4/09 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
Rilltech sells an alternative to the swinging pickup. Might be worth a look.
http://www.rilltechracing.com/products/index.shtml

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.