Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: hey there.
mad_dogpompey

posted on 11/4/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
hey there.

well after a lot of messing about i've decided to go for a bec, just trying to choose an engine!! whilst i have been looking for the normal blade and r1 engines i ve come across a few tl1000 engines. theres three of them on ebay priced between 350 and 400 and after speaking to the breakers they say they can do the lot loom engine starter for 550. standard they re rated at 125bhp to 135bhp which is blade kinda turf but with a little bit more torque! not sure about the height of the engine but sure it would fit. has anyone tried one of these yet?! and whats everyones opinion on these? as i m pretty new to all this. anyone see any issues that could crop up?
omega0684

posted on 11/4/09 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad_dogpompey
well after a lot of messing about i've decided to go for a bec,

TUT TUT, There is your first rookie mistake right there!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad_dogpompey

posted on 11/4/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
go on then why so!!! ???
Andy B

posted on 11/4/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
If you are decided on the BEC route give me a call at the unit on 01449 736633 we have done lots of different bike installs and I would be more than happy to give you advice and pointers on the pros and cons of the various options open to you and the likely costs of each install.
Regards
Andy

chris_smith

posted on 11/4/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
oh dear school boy error!!!!!

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

mad_dogpompey

posted on 11/4/09 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
loving it!!!!! sure someone will give me the reason for my school boy error sooner or later!!! guessing knowledge is power here!!! lol
gordon h

posted on 11/4/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
go for zx9
omega0684

posted on 11/4/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
im not going to be the one to open the can of worms on BEC vs CEC's, cuz i know i will just get ROASTED!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cryoman1965

posted on 11/4/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad_dogpompey
loving it!!!!! sure someone will give me the reason for my school boy error sooner or later!!! guessing knowledge is power here!!! lol

Its the great bec, CEC debate. As for costs you will need to concider the cost of a reverse for IVA. (Assuming it is for the road).

Do a search for cec v bec?

Nige

[Edited on 11/4/09 by cryoman1965]

mistergrumpy

posted on 11/4/09 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
God no steer clear of ZX9's. Nowt but one trouble after another. If I was to go BEC again I'd go with the Fireblade after working on one. Cheap enough, little wiring needed (compared to the ZX9) shorter so fit under the bonnet easier, good availability of parts like exhaust and short sumps from Andy B if needed and they're rock solid. I remember helping Gav with his. We picked a set of carbs from his collection(!) slapped them on and the thing just fired happy as Larry. No dynojetting or owt.
Not sure about the R1, lots of people seem to have them but they seem expensive to me and you have to start playing with power commanders etc.
On the other hand, if you do go ZX9 I think I've suffered every possible problem so I may be able to offer advice

Dangle_kt

posted on 11/4/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I;d recommend a chat with AB performance (Andy who posted above) - very good advice, and super helfpul.

Not to mention being one of the best kit car suppliers, there are a lot of messers in the industry, but he does the job justice.

richardh

posted on 11/4/09 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
malc at yorkshire engines is also good by reputation.

where do you live, detling is tomorrow / monday and then stonleigh a month later.

best advice is to go and look, have a ride in a few - most folk will love to tske you out and show you their cars...........

A1

posted on 11/4/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
id recommend r1...seems good to me, never had any bother with mine.
mad_dogpompey

posted on 11/4/09 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
cool really didn t want this to be a bec cec debate again! can t see why it keeps coming up ! depends what suits your personality! one of the reasons i m going for bec is because as part of growing up i m giving up motor bikes. well a shunt on the a3 a few months back has helped that decision! going to the show on monday and i ve been promised a go in a loco blade so that might help me decide! ps am in southampton and have a load of alloy sheet left over if any one needs some of cuts kinda 4ft by 2 ft size!
gordon h

posted on 11/4/09 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
done over 5000 miles, track days and zx9 been spot on.
oldtimer

posted on 11/4/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
I had a TL1000, great bike, dodgy handling, lovely sound. Not an obvious choise - leave it it a bike eh!
matt.c

posted on 11/4/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the zx9 but im biast.

If i was to build a low budget BEC again then i would go for the fireblade as they are very well proven to be bullet proof and a good range of aftermarket parts. Andy Bates is your man to talk to as he knows every nook and cranny when it comes to a fireblade. Also the RGB boys have trashed the arses of them for years without many problems.

roadrunner

posted on 11/4/09 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the ZX9r, mine's be very reliable thus far, Mistergrumpys has had problems (are they sorted yet mate) just a bad engine, they are cheap to buy and replace, but really any Blade or R1 engine will be cracker.
Good decision buy the way.

mistergrumpy

posted on 11/4/09 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Brad. Engine sorted. Ironically it's never ran as well as it does now.
My comments above are made from my experiences by the way. I can't comment on performace or how long the engines going to last because I've not got there yet. Not be long though, just waiting for someone to take it for me really

roadrunner

posted on 11/4/09 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to here it, you wont be dissapointed.
matt_gsxr

posted on 11/4/09 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
The other thing to think of, is. If you save a bundle on an unpopular bike engine (say an old tl1000) who is going to help you when it doesn't work.

Sadly in this case I think there is a good argument to go with the majority (i.e. r1, 'blade, busa, zx12). It isn't like you are going to see 4 or 5 cars with your engine when you pop out to get a paper!

I went with a Suzuki GSXR1100wp. This is an excellent engine (many world sidecar victories and popular in hillclimbers), but it is old (therefore has seen some life), off-the-shelf parts are minimal (prop adapter the only one so far), and information is more difficult to acquire.

Yes, I saved a few quid on the engine, and even the extra costs of the ancillaries puts me ahead of an '98 R1 (which was the obvious alternative). But I put a lot of hours into the whole exercise and unless you want to do that then go conventional.

When I was discussing this at Stoneleigh with Marc Nordon (MNR chap) he threw scorn on the idea of an unconventional engine. At the time I was annoyed by his small minded attitude, but now I see his point (although still small minded ;-) ).

Too much beer, time for bed.

Matt

Richard Quinn

posted on 12/4/09 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
This attitude is quite common amongst some of the suppliers but someone must have put the first 'blade, R1, ZX12 or 'busa etc into a car chassis. I went for the unconventional engine approach but unless you are a fabricator/machinist or have access to one, things like the engine cradle, prop adaptor and exhaust system can be quite expensive.
I also think you'd struggle with a 90 deg twin physically fitting it in so that you can get exhausts on and get it to line up with the tunnel.

JamJah

posted on 12/4/09 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Although I don't think there are many if any BECs, it is probably of value to go along to a regular meet.
Assuming it still happens theres one at Sir John Barleycorn in Cadnam (Jct1 M27) on the second Tuesday of the month. Although send cyroman above a u2u, he goes or has been far more recently than me.

This is personal advise or personal opinion.
Constructive comments gratefully recieved, picking is left for noses.

mad_dogpompey

posted on 12/4/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
cheers for the advice junction 1 of the m27 is about 2 minutes from me. who was the guy to contact though!!??? gonna have a quick chat with andy today see what he can offer! managed to get a half decent donor car as well. all those days of looking on ebay and free adds and i got one of the next next door neighbours brother hes even going to drop it round!
Hellfire

posted on 12/4/09 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
What chassis are you thinking of putting the bike engine in? Obviously this will have an influence on the donor vehicle required for running gear......

Phil

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.