none of the above

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bodywork colour
handyandy

posted on 12/4/09 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
bodywork colour

trying to decide on the colour scheme of my car in readiness to order bodywork.
there are a few options of preferred colour choice within my family so before i drive my mrs nuts asking "what about this colour, what about that colour" etc etc
please give your opinion on the following suggestions.
the car is a Haynes Roadster CEC (if that makes any difference on colour choice??)
thanks
andy
ps my original colour choice of black/silver has changed from listening to peoples opinion on dark base colours.
if the option of none of the above is your choice then please give suggestions of colour choice.
ta andy

[Edited on 12/4/09 by handyandy]

Benzine

posted on 12/4/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
100% black always

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
neilj37

posted on 12/4/09 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
White body with black wings and aero
rb968

posted on 12/4/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking orange or black but am now thinking azure blue with black wings? Always loved that colour on Elises.

Rich

Triton

posted on 12/4/09 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
purple or pink

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
handyandy

posted on 12/4/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
keep the idea,s coming ,
but which purple Mark?
cheers
andy

PINK????? Nooooooooooooo !!!
unless you pay me to have pink!!!

[Edited on 12/4/09 by handyandy]

archspeed

posted on 12/4/09 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Heres Mine - you cant get much more black than this!!

Image deleted by owner
Image deleted by owner
[img][/img]

handyandy

posted on 12/4/09 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
that really is black,
looks very nice, similar to my first thoughts on colour scheme i was gonna go for , tho i had planned on having silver viper stripes & chromed/nickel plated wishbones & roll bar.
hmmm,,, still like the sound of it too.
andy

Staple balls

posted on 12/4/09 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Black on black, with subtle hints of black and some black trim, with a subtle motif of black running throughout.

Bit of shiny too, just for contrast.

blakep82

posted on 12/4/09 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
cadburys purple
with matt purple stripes

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

handyandy

posted on 12/4/09 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
cadburys purple
with matt purple stripes

yeah that sounds nice, tho i,ll be honest & admit that purple was the wife,s choice but yes the cadbury colour is what she was suggesting,
its not easy imagining what the car will look like when just choosing a colour from a RAL chart.
cheers
andy
ps how about a purple flip?

blakep82

posted on 12/4/09 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
ooh purple flip's cool. are you thinking green/purple flip?

if i ever get around to it, i'm going to paint my chassis matt cadburys purple, like the new dairy milk wrappers. still not decided on the body yet though

the problem with black is it reflects every colour. think about it, it actually makes a lot of sense. white bodywork won't seem to reflect white light as much, but black will reflect everything. your bodywork needs to be almost perfect to get away with it i think

[Edited on 13/4/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

handyandy

posted on 13/4/09 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
yeah i,m thinking the purple / green flip, tho not totally sure how to get it done, is it a case of the base colour being say green with the purple in a laquer sprayed over the top that creates the flip? is it expensive?
the choice of colour is so vital to get right as once on then its a big job to redo if its wrong.
andy

Staple balls

posted on 13/4/09 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember that it's just one layer of paint, but that it has stuff in it to refract light differently (at different wavelengths) at different angles.

Downside is, it's really, really, bloody expensive.

A bit of googling found this, which gives some idea of price.

blakep82

posted on 13/4/09 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
sadly not as easy as that. well it is, but still very complicated (?)

you can buy paint that does it, not sure how much it costs though.
you can also buy a sort of crystal powder that does it too. you spray a base coat of colour. the base coat you use makes a big difference to the end result, but i think black gives the best result (i guess it depends on who ever said that and their definition of 'best'...) then you spray a clear laquer with the powder in it, then a clear laquer over the top.

but now i can't find who sold it... was something like £70 for 16g of the powder, but i don't know how much that covered

handyandy

posted on 13/4/09 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Staple balls
I seem to remember that it's just one layer of paint, but that it has stuff in it to refract light differently (at different wavelengths) at different angles.

Downside is, it's really, really, bloody expensive.

A bit of googling found this, which gives some idea of price.

now thats a nice link, thanks, i,m gonna read up on this, just had a quick look & like the idea of the black chrome effect, as for the price then looking at the costs on that link it doesn,t appear too bad, then of course i,d have to pay someone to spray it, but the way i,m thinking is that its once in a lifetime venture(building my own car from lengths of steel, to on the road) & want it right.
thanks for the idea,s .
andy

blakep82

posted on 13/4/09 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
ah, heres the other one
http://www.alsacorp.com/paints.htm

handyandy

posted on 13/4/09 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
sadly not as easy as that. well it is, but still very complicated (?)

you can buy paint that does it, not sure how much it costs though.
you can also buy a sort of crystal powder that does it too. you spray a base coat of colour. the base coat you use makes a big difference to the end result, but i think black gives the best result (i guess it depends on who ever said that and their definition of 'best'...) then you spray a clear laquer with the powder in it, then a clear laquer over the top.

but now i can't find who sold it... was something like £70 for 16g of the powder, but i don't know how much that covered

just looked on that link site & its about £260 plus vat for 1ltr of top flip colour then as you say a final laquer on top, i reckon 1ltr would do the roadster bodywork, would you agree?
i know its not in the locost theme but i want something a little bit different,
andy

handyandy

posted on 13/4/09 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote

no i wouldn,t go that far
& i don,t want it to look like a chav,s car , just want something subtle but striking, more a case of you notice the paintwork when you get up close to the car if i go for the flip colour,
cheers
andy

tul214

posted on 13/4/09 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Its been posted before but it might be of some use?
http://westfield-world.com/flash_changer.html

Mark

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

handyandy

posted on 13/4/09 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Mark
thats great thankyou, & simple enough for a computer numpty like me to use, i ain,t got a clue how to use those "paint" programs on a computer.
cheers for that link.
andy

handyandy

posted on 13/4/09 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
well so far the favourite seems to be bright orange, but then does that mean there,s lots of bright orange cars about????
Mark has given me a link that i can play around with colour schemes so this will help me see the finished look.
cheers
andy

cjtheman

posted on 13/4/09 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
this is my effort Rescued attachment finished car.JPG
Rescued attachment finished car.JPG

wanted

sunny weather

sva pass 12/6/09
taxed 16/6/09

Hellfire

posted on 13/4/09 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I personally think that with such a small car you want the bodywork to be as bright as possible, so that you get noticed easily when out and about. A screaming bike engine will also help too...........

Phil

sorens2

posted on 13/4/09 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
I“m quite happy with my colours.

Soren S2

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.