Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: £5,000 Discount on Electric Car?
Guinness

posted on 16/4/09 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
£5,000 Discount on Electric Car?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8001254.stm

Are the Gov't really fricken thick?

They launch a scheme offering people £5,000 off a car you can't buy. And this is a good thing?

How much discount are they offering on time machines? £10,000?

Or what about perpetual motion machines? £200,000?

How much discount would we get on a flying car powered only by fairy dust? £7,500?

Call me a cynic, but two years before the manufacturers launch these cars without even a hint about what they will cost, the gov't announce they will pay £5k towards the cost of them. Do we think that the price is going to be adjusted upwards by £4,999?

So instead of them costing £20k, they will be launched at £25k?

Mike

blakep82

posted on 16/4/09 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
and they'll use more energy to charge up... waste of everyones time really

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

richardh

posted on 16/4/09 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
i thought the same thing

they are all useless twats, bad ideas by bad people.

and how does one get the credit for these cars?

i'll just remortgage - oh i can't as i cant get a new one. i'll change jobs but dont have one and looking less likely to get one soon too

mr_pr

posted on 16/4/09 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Its a typical nutsack half thought about annoucment from the govt.

If we replaced just 25% of cars on the road and those people came home and plugged them into the main to recharge in the evening the national grid wouldn't be able to cope.

Electric cars might be all well and good in principle but the energy still has to be generated. Until the energy loss from Electrical production to Vehicle Horse Power to the wheel is more efficient than our current engines then it is a no win situation.

My Build Progress

peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 16/4/09 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Stupid politicians, they get paid a lot of money and come up with stupid ideas like that.
macspeedy

posted on 16/4/09 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
G.Brown to take up running!!

quote:

He also revealed his own new year's resolution - to take up running.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/jan/04/gordon-brown-employment-new-deal

damms where are they going to put damms there isnt anywhere left in Scotland for them!

[Edited on 16/4/09 by macspeedy]

stevegough

posted on 16/4/09 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
look on the bright side - we will be changing our donors to Hotpoint, Vax, Phillips and whirlpool!

Anyone got a 100 bhp drain pump off a Candy?

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

mad_dogpompey

posted on 16/4/09 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
wondering if i make my leckie reverse go forward and back if my locoblade will count!!!!!!!! and look on the plus side you ll be able to plug them in at work no cost at all lol
theconrodkid

posted on 16/4/09 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
where will we get the leccy from?greenies want wind and solar power,question is,on a calm but cloudy day in the greenie utopia would we even be able to boil a kettle?
and where do all the nasty chemicals from the batteries go when they are sha**ed?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

nib1980

posted on 16/4/09 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
EXCELLANT

Now you've all criticised it, tell them what the solution is............

only hearing complaints so far.

as an aside most major OEMs will be lauching true electric cars within 18 months, so 5K off is gonna suit me.

like they use to say at school..... Discuss.....

Guinness

posted on 16/4/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nib1980
EXCELLANT

Now you've all criticised it, tell them what the solution is............

only hearing complaints so far.

as an aside most major OEMs will be lauching true electric cars within 18 months, so 5K off is gonna suit me.

like they use to say at school..... Discuss.....

Step 1

Standardise. Make ALL electric cars, bikes, lorries and whatever use the same plug. 1 type of plug means you can charge anywhere. I bet you £10 that each and every manufacturer will be developing a different plug, meaning you will have to carry a selecttion of adaptors round with you. (Think of the number of different chargers there are for mobile phones)

Step 2

Make the battery packs a standard unit. Rather than charge the car, drive, deplete the battery, leave it parked up on charge for several hours, then drive again, have standardised removable / replaceable battery packs. Have the gov't / or filling stations own all the battery packs. You drive to a "filling station" where a mechanic drops out your depleted battery pack and bolts in a fully charged one. Should take 10 mins if they made the connector simple and the mechanism easy enough. That way range doesn't become an issue. And it keeps all the batteries in constant rotation, meaning you are unlikely to get problems with over charging / under charging / badly maintained batteries.

Step 3

Incentivise. Offer free parking and free charging for electric cars in town / car parks etc.

Step 4

Design. Stop making electric cars look different to other cars. I'm pretty sure that given a random selection of photos of cars I could pick out the hybrids / eco cars from the line up just by their horrendous looks. Just because I'd like to drive an eco car doesn't mean I've poked my eyes out with blunt sticks.

That is all for now. Might have a few beers and think up some more madcap ideas, but at the moment, no-one is going to vote me in, or pay me to think up any more grand ideas, so I'll go back to doing my real job.

Cheers

Mike

mistergrumpy

posted on 16/4/09 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Image deleted by owner
Nuff said

coozer

posted on 16/4/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mr. Brown, my little 100cc scooter has a knackered engine, instead of giving me 5k towards a new electric car can I have it to convert my scooter to electric? A little 72v electric motor, 6 red top batteries and a controller. I''ll even give you back the change...
I'm sure you would agree this is the sensible way to go and would save tons of CO2 making the new cars.

Thank you, look forward to your thoughts
Love,
Steve xx

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

tomprescott

posted on 16/4/09 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting you mentioned a perpetual motion machine, thats essentially what they seem to think will happen with electric cars, they don't seem to understand that generating electricity is not environmentally friendly......Viva la revolution!
coozer

posted on 16/4/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Well it'll never take off, any one seen the film "Who killed the electric car?"

Preview HERE it's really worth watching the lot.

Its interesting in the film to hear the old bloke who invented a long life battery say his battery company was bought out by Texaco....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

iank

posted on 16/4/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Like the manufacturers won't just add £5k onto the sticker price.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

macspeedy

posted on 16/4/09 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
how about £5,000 towards this

ZERO-S

Richard Quinn

posted on 16/4/09 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
So... another cunning plan to bail out the UK motor industry? Oh, hang on there's only the Mini that's mentioned that's almost a UK car.
Guinness

posted on 16/4/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Hi Mr. Brown, my little 100cc scooter has a knackered engine, instead of giving me 5k towards a new electric car can I have it to convert my scooter to electric? A little 72v electric motor, 6 red top batteries and a controller. I''ll even give you back the change...
I'm sure you would agree this is the sensible way to go and would save tons of CO2 making the new cars.

Thank you, look forward to your thoughts
Love,
Steve xx

Steve, have you watched the Quitgas video on youtube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzi4tL3QMWk

I'm on the look out for a bike with a blown engine at the minute!

Oh and a crashed golf cart!

Mike

Guinness

posted on 16/4/09 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Well it'll never take off, any one seen the film "Who killed the electric car?"

Preview HERE it's really worth watching the lot.

Its interesting in the film to hear the old bloke who invented a long life battery say his battery company was bought out by Texaco....

I watched that in disbelief. When GM took all their cars back for "evaluation" and then just crushed them in the desert. Very environmentally friendly.

Mike

owelly

posted on 16/4/09 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've been looking into 'alternative energy' as a form of heating my new house (which I havn't bought!) and as well as ground source heat pumps, solar, and all the others, woodchip boilers cropped-up. The claim is that as long as you can get locally grown and processed woodchips, then they are carbon neutral as the wood can only give off the same amount of CO2 that it has absorbed during its growth. Emissions that would be released if the tree had grown, died and rotted. All well and good. But surely the same can be said for coal and gas? They can only give off the same CO2 that they have absorbed, admittedly a few million years ago, so oil and gas fired powerstations are doing mother nature a favour! I've wacked the heating on full blast and opened all the windows. I'm doing my bit right now!! Then I'll convert my Range Rover to a coal/steam/electric hybrid!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macspeedy

posted on 16/4/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ah but the carbon you talk about in the gas coal and oil we use was grown and went into the ground over millions of years we are putting it back into the system far to quick!

Simon

posted on 16/4/09 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Sometime back I was thinking about putting an electric golf cart on the road, but costs have put me off the idea.

Now, if it's free

ATB

Simon

smart51

posted on 16/4/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
Leave it as oil / coal in the ground and it cant warm the earth through being converted to CO2 and belched into the atmosphere.

So which country will be the first to outlaw Volcanoes then??

Idiots guide to climate change No.1. Yeah?

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/4/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Let the public buy their own cars, save all the 5ks, build a hydroelectric dam between St Donats in south wales and Bossington in Somerset. 11 miles long and would probably generate enough power for all of Europe - UK could actually export something and build the economy.

Make the charging points free, that would incentivise electric cars which would be properly green, save the petrol for recreational cars and making computers.

Why are all the stupid people running the country and the bright ones building cars?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.