Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Iva Bias bar your opinions pls?
big_wasa

posted on 19/4/09 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Iva Bias bar your opinions pls?

Ive made a sort of non adjustable bias bar for the iva so that I dont have to weld mine up.

Ive set it to about 80% front. But if its wrong I can just cut two new grooves for the cir-clips and move the bearing along. You wont be able to see that as it sits in the pedal bush

When set I will fit a couple of roll pins.

What do you think ? Will it pass if it gives the correct braking.

cheers

[Edited on 19/4/09 by big_wasa]

dinosaurjuice

posted on 19/4/09 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
i dont see that as being adjustable. therefore i think it wil pass.

edit: nicely made BTW. theyll be a waiting list to borrow that for iva

[Edited on 19/4/09 by dinosaurjuice]

blakep82

posted on 19/4/09 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
i want one

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

robinj66

posted on 19/4/09 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
It does look a lovely piece of kit but, according to the article in the latest Complete Kit Car, the IVA want a bioas bar to be "permanently rendered unadjustable".

Roll pins were acceptable for SVA but apparantly will not be good enough for IVA

MikeRJ

posted on 20/4/09 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinj66
It does look a lovely piece of kit but, according to the article in the latest Complete Kit Car, the IVA want a bioas bar to be "permanently rendered unadjustable".

Since big_wasa's design is inherently non-adjustable, that should not be a problem.

Mix

posted on 20/4/09 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I think the theory is good 'in principle' however I would be concerned that drilling the bias bar where you have significantly reduces it's strength. In my opinion its better to secure at a point outside of the clevis. Otherwise an interesting exercise, look forward to news as to how it's received at IVA.

Regards Mick

big_wasa

posted on 20/4/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
It only needs to last for a short time

Its a 4mm pin through a 7/16 bar.

Any one want to do the maths for me ?

Bob C

posted on 22/4/09 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
You don't have a problem, there is very little stress of the bar where there's a hole through it. Your stress raisers are the circlip grooves..... keep them as shallow as you dare....
MikeRJ

posted on 22/4/09 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
You don't have a problem, there is very little stress of the bar where there's a hole through it. Your stress raisers are the circlip grooves..... keep them as shallow as you dare....

Always thought they were a bit of a poor design, the threaded sections don't help either. Then again I guess the bars are plenty strong enough since I've not heard/read of any failures.

One of the previous owners of my Stiker thought that a piece of M6 stud would make an effective bias bar, I had a shock when I removed the pedal box cover and found the tiny, banana shaped bar. The most worrying thing of all is that it was a track car and had passed scrutineering many times judging from all the tickets I found stuck to the transmission tunnel.

I'll take a pic when I remember, a kind of "how not to make a bias pedal box"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.