Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 50 limit
A1

posted on 22/4/09 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
50 limit

seeing as its almost certainly going through, does anyone else feel like actually doing something about it rather that just moaning in that oh-so-british way?
tegwin

posted on 22/4/09 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Yes... we could do something...

But this has not been a democracy for a long time.... millions marched in protest to the wars.... Millions marched in protest to the fox hunting... Millions were IGNORED!

I am a law abiding person... but if they start to take the wee wee..... I will fight back... road signs and cameras will start going missing....

I can see a time when everyone has lots of points on their license.....

I dont understand why the govermnent has to meddle in our affairs? So 3000 people die every year on the roads.... so what? Yes its not nice etc... but its going to happen regardless!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

cd.thomson

posted on 22/4/09 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
I'm currently trying to figure out a way I can get a hemp bag of manure delivered to number 10 with a letter:

"Hi Gordon, thought you'd like your blulhsit back. We'd like our country back, congratulations on being such an undesirable leader that even my generation wants an election."

ETA: I agree with Tegwin, I heard theres a bill on the cards which will make it illegal to grow old. 100% of individuals who are old will eventually die and the policy makers want to try to cut this figure.

[Edited on 22/4/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/4/09 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
setting fire to one with an old tyre looks great fun I'll have to give it a go, I've got so many lying around

when I was a kid, we use to set fire to the stolen (not by us and they were wrecked before you start complaining ) dumped cars in the local quarry, oh the good old days

[Edited on 22/4/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyharding

posted on 22/4/09 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
The answer is easy, the "man" wants us to be slower, safer drivers so that's what we do. Organise a national campaign where people driver everywhere at 20Mph and bring the country to a standstill....

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

thunderace

posted on 22/4/09 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
50mph it ok have you ever seen the mess when a car hits a van head on on a country road and seen the poor traped 14 year old kid in the front bleed to death you wont ever forget its last words,i have watched people die a number of times and its not fun a head on at 60mph ,im sure if any of you seen one you wouldnt be so keen on keeping it 60mph.what if its your wife or kids....

coozer

posted on 22/4/09 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I am a law abiding person... but if they start to take the wee wee..... I will fight back... road signs and cameras will start going missing....

So 3000 people die every year on the roads.... so what?

Well said that man, if there are no road signs you can wriggle out of it.

Government figures for 2008 show 3,500 people died in hospital from 'errors'... MRSA, mistakes by doctors/nurse etc. What they doing about that?

There's bound to be tons of 'other' things where more people die that we don't get to hear about too much.

Will Cameron make any difference? For example will he repeal these daft laws on behalf of the people? will he get rid of all the pointless traffic lights on roundabouts?

When I go to the ballot box I'm pretty sure there aren't going to be any choices I feel will make a difference?

Riddler

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

tegwin

posted on 22/4/09 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

When I go to the ballot box I'm pretty sure there aren't going to be any choices I feel will make a difference?

And that... right there is the utterly scary thing!!! I feel a similar way.... Change for changes sake might be a good thing though....

I dont understand why the gov have to keep changing things?... it works fine as it is..... so why fiddle? stupid lot

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

A1

posted on 22/4/09 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
a head on at 50 would be just as bad...think of all the bikers killed at 30.its a risk that you take by getting in a car.

i was thinking what andyh said, organise loads of people to drive really slow, like walking pace, on all the main roads in the country...
then stop and kill every ''safety'' camera we pass

coozer

posted on 22/4/09 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
50mph it ok have you ever seen the mess when a car hits a van head on on a country road and seen the poor traped 14 year old kid in the front bleed to death you wont ever forget its last words,i have watched people die a number of times and its not fun a head on at 60mph ,im sure if any of you seen one you wouldnt be so keen on keeping it 60mph.what if its your wife or kids....

I'll take me chance mate, I understand your liberal nanny state opinion there but its not for me. I want to be free to make my own choices, what ever they may be. Going off your rant there we should all stay indoors and not get out of bed!

Was once in hospital with my beloved granny, loved her to bits, she was ace. She had a little problem with an aneurysm that had been troubling her for a few years and needed some attention now.
The conversation went like this...
Doctor:
"She's got an aneurysm that could burst any time Sir, she's 94 so we won't be operating"

Dead by the morning she rests in peace now going to the same place as her daughter, my mother, who suffocated slowly from Motor Neuron Disease a few years before.

So, I'll take me chances on the road at 60mph, if I have an accident that's my fault then I deserve to die thanks.

Its bad driving, not speeding that kills...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

jimmyjoebob

The government could so easily reduce the number of deaths on the roads by improving the roads where they know the current design to be dangerous. Instead, they choose the cheaper option and put in draconian speed limits.

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

dave1888

quote:

Not with you on this one will it make much difference (i wait to be informed) I agree slower speed more chance of survival but surely cars are more safer now than in the past. I would wager that most fatalities on our roads are caused by inexperiance and/or stupidity, by lowering the limit to 50mph only increases revenue for the law. If you want to reduce the number of accidents you need to educate its the only way.

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/4/09 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Considering the cars are tested at 35mph, reducing the speed by 10 ain't going to do very much if head on crashes are 100mph.

I don't speed, no really I don't, gave that nonsense up long ago. What I do find though is when the limit is slower than the roads appear to need, for example on the way to work there are dual carriageways limited to 50mph on straight runs or 30mph on good A class roads, what actually happens is people get annoyed and overtake those who are sticking to the speed limit, most of the time in a dangerous manner. So the speed limit only served to increase the risk of the worst kind of crash i.e. head-ons

The fact that the speed limit was lower than they were prepared to stick to means that an even lower limit will do nothing but make the situation worse. The best thing is to review each road and put a limit that meets that particular stretch and proper road signs to indicate the hazards.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nstrug

posted on 22/4/09 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure it will make much difference - many of the NSL country roads that this will apply to, you would be hard pushed to do 50, let alone 60. I live on an NSL road, but if you do any more than 30 on it you're going to end up in a hedge or up the arse of a tractor.

Nick

tegwin

posted on 22/4/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nstrug
Not sure it will make much difference - many of the NSL country roads that this will apply to, you would be hard pushed to do 50, let alone 60. I live on an NSL road, but if you do any more than 30 on it you're going to end up in a hedge or up the arse of a tractor.

Nick

Sounds like you have some weird roads down your way!!!

Majority of the roads here and into wales are nice wide A/B roads...potential for lots of fun.... You could quite easily do 60 *cough* on them provided you actually slow down for the corners and anticipate hazards such as tractors etc.... But I guess thats the problem isnt it....many people will just drive and not realise that you cant take a corner at mach3....

idl1975

posted on 22/4/09 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
What about the person you run into? Do they get a vote, or do they just have to take their chances as well?

I think Mr Ace might be suggesting not that you stay in bed, but that travelling at a safe speed (whatever that is) might be appropriate, if only to avoid doing a Prince Naseem on some poor bugger.

None of this is, of course, directly relevant to whether a 50 limit will do anything much about the safety of NSL roads, which it probably won't, as (a) the limit isn't policed on 97% of our NSL roads, (b) prevailing traffic speeds for cars are under 50 on most of those roads and (c) as hitting stuff at 50 mph is still pretty dangerous, the effect on risk of any speed reduction is going to be very attenuated.

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
quote:

I'll take me chance mate, I understand your liberal nanny state opinion there but its not for me. I want to be free to make my own choices, what ever they may be. Going off your rant there we should all stay indoors and not get out of bed!

Was once in hospital with my beloved granny, loved her to bits, she was ace. She had a little problem with an aneurysm that had been troubling her for a few years and needed some attention now.
The conversation went like this...
Doctor:
"She's got an aneurysm that could burst any time Sir, she's 94 so we won't be operating"

Dead by the morning she rests in peace now going to the same place as her daughter, my mother, who suffocated slowly from Motor Neuron Disease a few years before.

So, I'll take me chances on the road at 60mph, if I have an accident that's my fault then I deserve to die thanks.

Its bad driving, not speeding that kills...

Benzine

posted on 22/4/09 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
There's a vid on youtube somewhere (can't find it atm) where a group of people do an experiment with the motorway. They get 3 cars to drive side by side at the speed limit. After a few miles the tailback was looooong

Edit: found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-Ox0ZmVIU

[Edited on 22/4/09 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

smart51

posted on 22/4/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Will Cameron make any difference? For example will he repeal these daft laws on behalf of the people? will he get rid of all the pointless traffic lights on roundabouts?

The greasy weasel has already said that the conservatives will abandon the ID card scheme. He seems to have no policies of his own and is willing to take up whatever will win him votes. Generally the Tories are against excessive rules and legislation, it seems unlikely that they would bring this in.

Don't like the Tories or Labour? Vote LibDem! Why not? They only lose elections because people don't vote for them. Give them a go. Nick Clegg, it is said, has an annoying habit of being right on political matters. Wouldn't that make a change.

hampshe

posted on 22/4/09 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
50mph

The government are just a bunch of muppets, it's the people pulling the strings that need a reality check.
Target areas that need reduced speed reduction such as built up areas, schools etc, leave the open stretches of A roads and motorways to run properly.
(When do you ever see a speed camera outside a school?)

tegwin

posted on 22/4/09 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
IDL975 said

I think Mr Ace might be suggesting not that you stay in bed, but that travelling at a safe speed (whatever that is) might be appropriate, if only to avoid doing a Prince Naseem on some poor bugger.

Yup... so training required then... not blanket reduction in limits

off-road-ham

posted on 22/4/09 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, does anyone on here remember when the speed limit was 50 on roads and 60 on duel carrageways.
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/4/09 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hampshe

(When do you ever see a speed camera outside a school?)

ehem ohhh let me think...never?

tegwin

posted on 22/4/09 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
When was that then?..... I didnt think you could get a cart horse to go that fast?!?!?!?

smart51

posted on 22/4/09 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Here's a suggestion? Are you capable of writing a reasoned and polite but persuasive arguement? Can you find the email address of your local Labour MP? Would you like to suggest that they may lose votes at the upcoming election if they do this? If plenty of people do this, you can turn the party against an idea. Policies can be dropped if you tackle them before they become law.
02GF74

posted on 22/4/09 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by off-road-ham
Hi, does anyone on here remember when the speed limit was 50 on roads and 60 on duel carrageways.

was that in the early 70s during the Suez oil crisis?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.