Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how do you calculate rollover bar bends?
aerosam

posted on 23/4/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
how do you calculate rollover bar bends?

Having looked around for a roll hoop, I simply cant find one to fit my +4" chassis. Closest thing I could find was from GBS/robin hood/kit parts direct who offered to cut a standard one and weld an extra 4" into the middle. But I'd rather have the whole thing made from seamless tube TBH.

So I'm going to have to make my own. I know the distance between centres has to be 42" to fit centrally on my suspension mounts, but does the tube shorten when you bend it? how do you work out where to accurately place the bends?

I guess I'm after an idiots guide really!

Had enough of this dictatorship known as LCB. Gone elsewhere, not coming back. Kiss my ass ChrisW.

minitici

posted on 23/4/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Performance & Protection will make you a bar.
Just send them the dimensions....

Linky

[Edited on 23/4/09 by minitici]

nitram38

posted on 23/4/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
All benders differ in that they gain or lose as you bend. The only way to find out is to mark a tube, bend it and recheck the gain/loss etc.
Once you know this, you can add or subtract this measurement from future bends

wam builder

posted on 23/4/09 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Bends on roll bar

Really easy one mate! just make a template ie draw the thing out on a bit of plywood or cardboard, then bend one of the required angles. Mark the start point on the curve of the tube against the corresponding start point on the guide of the bender, then lay the tubing back down on top of the template and mark the required start point on the opposite corner still to be bent. This is the easy way, just remember to use a piece of tubing much longer than that which you require as it is much easier to start a bit in from the end and re-cut both ends to the required length thus fixing the height to something that pleases once the whole thing is fabbed up. Another tip is that a complete 90 may kink on the inside and flatten slightly on the outer dependant on the former used. So I now make rollover bars ALA westfield ie with a small bend midway up "12 degree bend" this then reduces the larger bend from 90 down to 78 and it makes the bar look less agri effect.
welderman

posted on 23/4/09 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
if your strugglin mate could knock one up for you and poss send it by tnt.

Joe

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Peteff

posted on 24/4/09 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look on jd2.com

They have some free software for the job. Link

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

James

posted on 24/4/09 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Martin Keenan did mine for me.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

aerosam

posted on 25/4/09 at 05:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by welderman
if your strugglin mate could knock one up for you and poss send it by tnt.

Joe

U2U sent, thanks!

Had enough of this dictatorship known as LCB. Gone elsewhere, not coming back. Kiss my ass ChrisW.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.