Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Carb Problem. Help??
chris_harris_

posted on 24/4/09 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
R1 Carb Problem. Help??

Well i failed the SVA o emissions, no big surprise, but they were ay out.
Have found that carb number 3 doesn't seem to be playing the game.
On tickover it runs rough, and if you look down each throat, you can see fuel coming from the needle's on 1,2 and 4 but 3 just doesnt seem to be producing as much fuel.
Exhaust gets warm, but not as hot as the other three.
Have taken the carb apart twice and cleaned it through. But doesn't seem to be helping.

The only thing about this carb is that when i first had the engine, the slider was stuck, and needed cleaning of all the varnished fuel to get it working properly.

Any ideas welcome, its doing my nut now!

Regards Chris

richardh

posted on 24/4/09 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
WHAT ABOUT TAKING IT TO TTS PERFORMANCE (oops caps) for rolling road

Time for a change!

chris_harris_

posted on 24/4/09 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
I could, but then i wanted to send it to them post SVA for dynojet and RR setup, can't really afford the expense twice.
Having said that, does anyone know how much they charge?

Regards Chris

ragindave

posted on 24/4/09 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Spark plug may be
chris_harris_

posted on 24/4/09 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ckanged all four the other day, checked spark and its fine, nice and strong.

Regards Chris

smart51

posted on 24/4/09 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Are the float heights OK? Are the jets all clear? Are the carb rubbers (under the plastic covers) intact?
chris_harris_

posted on 24/4/09 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
I think the jetas are all clear, i haven't checked the float heights as yet, could this be an issue?
All rubbers seem in tact,
Just trying to synch them noe but the Bloody kit i have has the wromg threaded extensions on.
One thing after another now!!

Regards Chris

StevieB

posted on 24/4/09 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar issue on mine - a friend who knows what he's doing gave my carbs a thorough clean then balanced them properly as well. Now it runs quite smoothly.

I had noticed that the header on my manifold were discoloured on 3 cylinders but one was not - now the carbs are clean and set up properly, the manifold has started to discolour evenly from the heat, which is a fairly easy telltale that something was wrong and now is not.

chris_harris_

posted on 24/4/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks StevieB thats what i thought. Ned to get a 6mm adaptor for my carb sync set, and may dismantle the Carb Again and give at a real good going over, getting well hacked off with it though!
Smart51 i checked the float level and its fine, same on all carbs.
Took it out for a blat and it pulls and flies nicely.
But just the tickover thing.
Whats the best place to get the pilot screw overhaul bits from, as one of the rubber o rings has gone!

Regards Chris

StevieB

posted on 24/4/09 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
You can get a big box of various sized o-rings for about £5, which will have the right size o-ring for almost anything you;d ever need.

Try demon tweeks or your local auto-jumble.

Snap-off

posted on 24/4/09 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I had an issue with number 3 also. I had to have the mixture screw out further than the rest to get it to fire. One day it would run ok the next it would not. I also stripped and cleaned 3 times, changed all the jets and needle etc. Real pain in the arse when trying to go through emission testing.
I eventually bought another set of carbs off Malc, it passed SVA emissions and have I have not seen the problem again. Sorry if this is not any help but it was the cheapest and fastest option for me.

[Edited on 24/4/09 by Snap-off]

chris_harris_

posted on 26/4/09 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Update

Well i stipped the Carb again today, and took every conceivable part out of it, that will come off!
I found a blockage in the air jet, the fixed one at the top, going through to the main jet, and nothing else, set the fuel level but it wasn't really out anyway.

Still not much joy though. Slightly more fuel running but just not as much as the other ones.

Plug is fine, and swapped. Tried a different set of coils too, and still no different.

The only thing i haven't foen is balance them, as my sychro kit only has a 5mm thread and the R1 is a 6mm.

Does anuont think this will make that much difference?

Or ahall i strip and re clean again!!

Regards Chris

Coose

posted on 26/4/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
You can balance carbs using a bit of hose (windscreen washer hose will do nicely) and a good ear. For this process we'll call carb 1 the one nearest to the front of the car, carb 4 nearest the bulkhead, You may need to adjust the tickover whilst you're working between the carbs - this is normal: -

1, Remove the air filter/air box so that the carb bellmouths are all accessible.
2, Start the engine and get it up to temperature.
3, Starting at the carb 1, take the end of your hose and place it near the opening of the slide, a few mm away from the slide so as not to impede the air flow.
4, Take the other end of your hose and place it near to your ear and listen to the sound - you'll hear a steady pulsing sound.
5, Move the end of the hose to carb 2 and place it in the same position and listen again.
6, Adjust the balance of these two carbs if required until the sounds are as similar as you can get. Once you've adjusted one carb, blip the throttle a few times to make sure that the adjusters are seated properly and check again. You can take the hose from your ear when you blip the throttle as it may smart a bit if you don't!
7, Move along to the carb 3 and adjust this until it sounds the same as the other two. Blip the throttle again a few times. ***NOTE*** Do not adjust the first carb adjuster as this will upset the balance of carbs 1 & 2.
8, Move to carb 4 and do the same again. Do not adjust between carbs 1 & 2 and 2 & 3.

Job done! If it's good enough for Pops Yoshimura it's good enough for me!

[Edited on 26/4/09 by Coose]

Spin 'er off Well...

chris_harris_

posted on 27/4/09 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mate, that doesn't sound too hard to be honest. I will give this a go as soon as i get five minutes, might not be till the weekend now though worak and all that.
Will let you all know the score.
Cheers Chris

ragindave

posted on 2/5/09 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
This link could be useful

http://www.totalvauxhall.co.uk/resources/totalvauxhall/TOV64.tech60697.pdf

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.