Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: busa oil temp
:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 24/4/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
busa oil temp

for some reason my oil temp guage is reading quite low - what should the oil temp be without caning it - normal running? obviously winter cold air its gonna be colder - track day its gonna be warmer - but for cruising motorway for example as a benchmark - mine is reading summink like 50 or less! doesnt seem right

tomgregory2000

posted on 24/4/09 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I know that in my corrado the oil temp was always 10deg above the water regardless of ragging the feck out of it or crusing it, i know its a car but might help
iiyama

posted on 25/4/09 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Believe its meant to be about 60. Ive got the same trouble at the moment, ie temps to low. Im gonna leave it untill after SVA and get some real use from the car but I think Ill end up fitting an oil stat.
Jason Fletcher

posted on 25/4/09 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
you boys are quoting low temps.. It can't be that low can it?? Mine is about 87-88 if driven hard or high 70's-low 80's on a cruise. Running a race radiator and a 18" laminova.

Edited to say: I'm reading mine in the dry sump tank so after the Lam has cooled it too..

jason

[Edited on 25/4/09 by Jason Fletcher]

posted on 26/4/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Fletcher
you boys are quoting low temps.. It can't be that low can it?? Mine is about 87-88 if driven hard or high 70's-low 80's on a cruise. Running a race radiator and a 18" laminova.

Edited to say: I'm reading mine in the dry sump tank so after the Lam has cooled it too..

jason

[Edited on 25/4/09 by Jason Fletcher]

which is what i think too - the guage is a racetech guage - it does seem too low in my eyes

but if it is is there a detrimental effect?

Jason Fletcher

posted on 26/4/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
If it really is 50 deg then I don't think the engine will like it asmuch as 80 deg. If it is 50 deg then you will have what looks like a good oil preasure because the oil is not thin enough. I never race the tits off my busa until the oil is 60 deg.

You could get a cheap infra red thermometer and point it in the dry sump tank. (thats how I calibrated mine)

Jason

posted on 26/4/09 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Fletcher
If it really is 50 deg then I don't think the engine will like it asmuch as 80 deg. If it is 50 deg then you will have what looks like a good oil preasure because the oil is not thin enough. I never race the tits off my busa until the oil is 60 deg.

You could get a cheap infra red thermometer and point it in the dry sump tank. (thats how I calibrated mine)

Jason

yea i need to look at it soon - i have a good digi temp probe on the multimeter - ill check the true reading once i get chance..

Frosty

posted on 27/4/09 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
My oil temperature will climb over 60 just from road use. I follow Powertec's advise and not accelerate hard until 60c, but in reality the temperature is slightly higher than this because it's read from the dry sump tank which has already been through the oil cooler.
iiyama

posted on 27/4/09 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thats why I was saying I think mine is too low! Got a fairly large cooler fitted but cant blank it as its mounted right in front of the rad. Like I say, Ill get it though SVA and use it for a while to get some proper readings but I think its over cooled. Will fit an oil stat if this proves to be the case. Both pressure and temp readings are taken from the oil filter mounting.

Edited to add that oil that dosent run at its designed temp will basically sludge the engine.

[Edited on 27/4/09 by iiyama]

Edited again to add that the busa service manual shows pressure testing should be done with oil at 60 deg. Not sure if thats any help but thought Id post it anyway!

[Edited on 27/4/09 by iiyama]

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

posted on 28/4/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
i guess the best solution would be to mask off part of the oil cooler if readings are low.. Unmask radiator if its too hot..

Tonto1

posted on 28/4/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Where is your temp sensor located?? What sump do you have?

In most Westies the sender in the dry sump tank, so by the time your oil gets there it's been round all your pipe work and through your cooler and is therefore not as hot as the actual oil inside the engine (which is where it counts) and not really an accurate reading.

If you want to get a true reading you need your sender mounted in the block itself, for example at the take off next to the oil filter?

[Edited on 28/4/09 by Tonto1]

Jason Fletcher

posted on 28/4/09 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
well that depends which way you lok at it.. I prefer to know the oil temp is up to 60 deg when it hits the engine.

Oh no, it seems I need two oil temp gauges now..

Jason

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.