Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: more broadband wireless issues
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/4/09 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
more broadband wireless issues

Hi guys

After the hassle last night getting the broadband wireless to work, sorted very quickly by folks on here , I hit yet another problem

What I’m trying to do is very simple, just use next doors wireless BT hub to connect my laptop to the net and I’ve got their permission btw

this is the hub thing they have -

Prob is even though the houses are just 10ft apart (there’s no windows either on the side the houses face each other) I can’t pick up any signal in mine because it turns out the aluminium foil backing on the plasterboard is doing a very good job of blocking the signal…aahhh!

Sooo apart from running a physical cable between the two houses is there some way I can transmit the signal to my house so I can get it inside?

I even tried wrapping the hubs tiny antae in speaker wire and dangling the rest of it 15ft of wire out the window, you may not be very surprised the hear that failed miserably

Never thought this was going to be so troublesome

Thanks

[Edited on 29/4/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stuart_g

posted on 29/4/09 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Easiest way is to get broadband yourself and stop being so tight!
mr_pr

posted on 29/4/09 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Well, assuming your neighbours wireless router isn't as close to your house as possible, you could try a wireless range extender.

You can get them from £30+. Usually the more you pay the more powerful the Wireless repeater is. I couldn't tell you how strong a signal you would need but if it is only 10Ft plus Foil backing I am sure it would work.

We have one in our house and it gets through the very thick (old house) walls.

Of course, the other options, if their router is already very close to your house already is, buy the wireless repeater anyway just make sure it is much more powerful than the current router OR replace their wireless router with a more powerful one?

ETA: A few years ago we had the BT router above in my student house and its signal strength was sh1t, so a repeater may just work!

[Edited on 29/4/09 by mr_pr]

[Edited on 29/4/09 by mr_pr]

My Build Progress

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/4/09 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuart_g
Easiest way is to get broadband yourself and stop being so tight!

I don't have a land line, I just use my pay as you go mobile phone in the house as it works out wayyyyy cheaper than an ordinary phone

I'm Scottish and we're born tight fisted

[Edited on 29/4/09 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 29/4/09 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Something like this might help, but will your neighbour want such mods, and to supply everyone in a wider range free broadband.......

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/4/09 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
I knew you lot would know about this stuff...

superb

I'll have a look through all that and see which will work best

thanks

iank

posted on 29/4/09 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Locost version
http://www.techdigest.tv/2006/06/extend_your_wif.html

Construction details
http://www.netscum.com/~clapp/wireless.html#building

[Edited on 29/4/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

bilbo

posted on 29/4/09 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Locost version
http://www.techdigest.tv/2006/06/extend_your_wif.html

Construction details
http://www.netscum.com/~clapp/wireless.html#building

[Edited on 29/4/09 by iank]

Love it
Best of all is you get to eat a whole tube of pringles first - bonus.

Another idea, although it will cost (£10 a month), is to look into mobile broadband (linky).
It may be you could do a deal with your existing mobile provider to get the cost down?

[Edited on 29/4/09 by bilbo]

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

Peteff

posted on 29/4/09 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
You can buy a prepaid mobile dongle to plug into your USB. I set one up on my friend's laptop as he is a computer numpty and it works well but depends a lot on the area. It is faster at his house than at ours.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/4/09 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
You could always go to the authorities and tell them about your various scams and dodges - tv licence etc. With the way modern prisons are these days, i'm sure they must have free broadband in each cell!!

Job sorted!!

how you think I could have afforded this new laptop if I was paying for a TV licence?? Next you be suggesting I pay council tax too

Keith Weiland

posted on 29/4/09 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
The pringles cantenna probably wont work as it needs line of sight, it extends distances but doesn't boost the signal, it just aims it in one particular direction.
Macbeast

posted on 29/4/09 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
I don't suppose they would let you run a cable through the wall ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.