Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: Prototype / Display Model Manufacture
TimC

posted on 30/4/09 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
OT: Prototype / Display Model Manufacture

As part of my MBA business plan, I'd like to have a physical model of the proposed product. It's nothing fancy. The actual thing would just look like an injection moulded box. I need to source or make something cheaply however that looks like the real thing. My sole idea thus far is to carve it out of polystyrene and then cover in resin and paint. Anyone got any better thoughts?

Ta

tegwin

posted on 30/4/09 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
If you just need an injection molded box.... cant you buy a cable enclosure.... RS sell loads of different sized ones mainly thermoplastic..... Or use a socket putress box if you need a thermoset....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

designer

posted on 30/4/09 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
If it is to look like an injection moulded box, why not use one, Maplins?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 30/4/09 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry - I didn't make myself clear. The shape and size of the box is pretty critical to the product (ergonomic) and therefore unique.

Keep the suggestions coming...

Ta

stevebubs

posted on 30/4/09 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
plaster of paris?
pewe

posted on 30/4/09 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
You can buy high density expanded Poly styrene which is used for modelling.
Bought some years ago for an exhibition display from IIRC Sheffield Insulations. But maybe Hobbystore for smaller quantities.
Also made a hot-wire cutter by using a battery charger, copper tube for the arm fixed into a base-board and fuse wire for the cutting wire (obviously needs to glow red to heat sufficiently).
Alternatively the poly can be cut, sanded and painted quite easily.
Sheffield Ins. weren't cheap but hey if your future career relies on it got to be worth it.
If you want a sketch of the cutter U2U me your email.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

mccsp

posted on 30/4/09 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Rapid Prototype?

Some Universities (Loughborough as an example). Have RP research facilities and can sometimes fit in additional work at surprisinly low cost. Looks very professional and can be finished quite nicely.

If it is small enough can fit in with another job for minimal increase in cost. Would require 3D modelling though.

chrisg

posted on 30/4/09 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I've done some stuff in laminated MDF, for things like rounded edges it's much easier to get a consistant surface using a router than trying to sand foam.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

nick205

posted on 30/4/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
clay - like concept cars?

The rapid prototype suggestion is a good one too especially if you can get the object modelled in 3D. We use it at work for prototyping injection moulded parts prior to actually making a mould tool. finishes really well and can be painted to look like the real thing.

blakep82

posted on 30/4/09 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
i think, if you used polystyrene, then put resin over it, i think the polystyrene collapsed and melts.

clay might be your best, unless you fancy going into making a fibreglass mould from the clay, and then make a fibreglass model?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Hammerhead

posted on 30/4/09 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
bolsa wood is good for models.
hughpinder

posted on 30/4/09 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Carve it out of a candle (if you go wrong just melt a bit back in), - remember a pouting funnel. Cover in plaster of paris - a couple of layers, turn upside down when dry and melt out in a warm oven into a baking tray - recast as candles!. Castable PU or resin, and crack off the plaster.
Hugh

tegwin

posted on 30/4/09 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Some of the education companies sell a rapid prototyping stuff for making ergonomic products..

Its like wax but melts at a low temp... you can mould it with your hands... let it cool and it goes pretty hard.... you could then machine the centre out with a vertial mill... or a drill and chissel if tools allow...

The kids use it to make mobile phones and MP3 players etc for graphic design work... some of them are fantastic!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Fred W B

posted on 1/5/09 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

My sole idea thus far is to carve it out of polystyrene and then cover in resin and paint. Anyone got any better thoughts?

If its got large flat planes with straight edges I reckon MDF planks screwed together will be easier. Use plaster filler to add raidiuses and cover with a layer of GRP to blend it all together. Skim with filler and sand to get the surface smooth

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

iank

posted on 1/5/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a complex shape (something like a fighter joystick) then mould in clay and then get one of the latex moulding kits and cast one in resin.

If it's a flat edges then wood or perspex would be best sprayed up white (seems to be a traditional colour for models like that).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.