Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Koso RX2N digi dash
triumphdave

posted on 4/5/09 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Koso RX2N digi dash

Hi all,
One of my winter mods was to fit a new Koso speedo,after a few teething probs fitting the speedo sensor and getting a nice steady tacho reading I thought I had it sussed.I have been using the car for a few weeks know and after a while of driving maybe 10mins or so,(its a bit variable) the rev counter flips out and goes all sporadic on me then packs up completely then the speedo does the same.It seems that I have to leave the ignition off for several hours before it will work again.Its almost as though it overheats and needs to cool down before it will work again properly except it is not warm.
Any ideas appreciated.

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

twybrow

posted on 4/5/09 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds like a faulty unit, or more likely, a wiring fault. Have you got a good earth, as it sounds like a short somewhere...?
richardh

posted on 4/5/09 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
where did you put the magnet / sensor?

Time for a change!

triumphdave

posted on 4/5/09 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
That sounds like a faulty unit, or more likely, a wiring fault. Have you got a good earth, as it sounds like a short somewhere...?

As far as I can tell wiring is good.
I did notice a slight bit of moisture on the inside of the tacho glass,so took the back of the unit.There was a cadmium plated screw inside that holds the gubbins inside the back of the casing that had a rusty head,this obviously suggests some water has got inside the unit.That in itself is strange,being as it has not been out in the rain yet and the unit is supposed to be water tight.Anyway I dried the unit in the oven I will try it again next week some time.

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

triumphdave

posted on 4/5/09 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardh
where did you put the magnet / sensor?

My unit doesnt use magnets it supposed to pick up off,of the disc bolts on a bike.I have made a toothed wheel that fits on the splined shaft of the prop with the sensor fitted above it on the gearbox.I now know that this is not ideal as when you accelerate the prop slides in and out of the gearbox enough for the sensor to miss teeth and give a false reading,this is something I need to address.When the unit is working O.K all this means is,the speedo reads wrong when I am accelerating but settles down again when cruising at 40mph or below.Perhaps magnets might help to give a stronger signal?.As I said I could do with a better setup for the speedo,but not to sure what else to do on a live axle.

richardh

posted on 4/5/09 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
i have the r1n and i tried the prop and then gave up and drilled a tiny hole for the magnet to go int on one of the front wheel carriers and then mounted the pickup onto the upright.

works fine now and much more accurate. 700 miles in and no more misreads

Time for a change!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.