Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: master cylinder
vinnievector

posted on 4/5/09 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
master cylinder

Hi all ,
I have a sierra duel curciut master cyl and just want to confirm that the out let nearest the pedals goses to the front brakes and furthest to the rears for the correct brake balance .

40inches

posted on 4/5/09 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Front to front, rear to rear, strangely enough.
However i would hold off fitting the brake pipes just now, because there is a possibility that the Sierra master cylinder will not pass IVA due to the requirement for the brakes to be split diagonally We will all know better after a few have gone through.

MikeR

posted on 4/5/09 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
requirement isn't for a diagonal split, but for if one circuit fails, the other circuit to provide at least 30% braking power.

The issue, as i read it on here, with the sierra m/c is that if you get a failure then the car, when braked, will pull heavily to the side with working brakes.

theconrodkid

posted on 4/5/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
they dont have to be diagonal,no other motor manufacturer makes them that way.
the port nearest the pedal is normally front,see if its marked "P" if so its deffo front,didnt you make a note when you took the doner to bits?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

40inches

posted on 4/5/09 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
requirement isn't for a diagonal split, but for if one circuit fails, the other circuit to provide at least 30% braking power.

The issue, as i read it on here, with the sierra m/c is that if you get a failure then the car, when braked, will pull heavily to the side with working brakes.

Yea, you're right, my bad;

"09E Brake performance
The service brake performance must be at least 60%, (of the CLW or DGW as determined to be the highest) or more than half the road wheels lock.
The secondary brake performance must be at least 30%,(of the CLW or DGW as determined to be the highest) for each half of the split system."

That will teach me to speed read documents
so,the Sierra system is split front and rear and reading the above paragraphs s.l.o.w.l.y, am I right in assuming the problem will be if the Sierra rear drums can provide 30% of the total braking force? or am I being incredibly thick here???

40inches

posted on 4/5/09 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
the port nearest the pedal is normally front,see if its marked "P" if so its deffo front,didnt you make a note when you took the doner to bits?

All the Sierra duel master cylinders I have seen, have had two outlets at the the front for the front brakes and one outlet at the rear (nearest the pedal) for the rear brakes, using a 't' junction near the diff.
Although I stand to be corrected

l0rd

posted on 4/5/09 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I am 99% sure that Renault use that system in their cars.

prawnabie

posted on 4/5/09 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Older Renaults use that system, pretty much anything that has abs, or can have abs as an option uses front/rear split.
britishtrident

posted on 4/5/09 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Quite a few manufacturers used it back in the 70s but abandoned it.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

bob

posted on 4/5/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

All the Sierra duel master cylinders I have seen, have had two outlets at the the front for the front brakes and one outlet at the rear (nearest the pedal) for the rear brakes, using a 't' junction near the diff.
Although I stand to be corrected

Seen some with four outlets but most have three, as you say front two for the front brakes and middle or rear nearest pedal for rear with a split T junction at rear. (well mine are like that)

vinnievector

posted on 5/5/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
sorry for late post ,

The master cylinder was purchased new ,look through the hynes manual but no symatic for the brakes in there .wot i will do is to remove the connections and take a look at the port sizes and see if i can see some markings thanks for the help .Vin

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.